[comp.sys.apple2] //E HD

avarg@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Abel Vargas) (12/24/90)

Is there a way to go around the ProDOS 8 32-meg limit on devices? That is, is
there a way to allow my //e to use a hard drive bigger than 32 MB?

INET: avarg@gnh-applesauce.cts.com
UUCP: crash!pnet01!gnh-applesauce!avarg
ARPA: crash!pnet01!gnh-applesauce!avarg@nosc.mil

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (12/24/90)

avarg@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Abel Vargas) writes:

>Is there a way to go around the ProDOS 8 32-meg limit on devices? That is, is
>there a way to allow my //e to use a hard drive bigger than 32 MB?

sure there is. you partition the hard drive into 32 meg partitions that each
look like a separate drive to prodos. the problem is that the DMA SCSI card
only supports 2 of these in prodos 8 (4 if the card is in slot 5) unless you
get a nifty little patch called SCSI.PART, and an infinite # of partitions
under GS/OS. The ramfast supports 8 under both prodos 8 and GS/OS. (This might
change with the new ROM release, I'm not sure.)

I have a 105 meg quantum with four partitions. I used a DMA SCSI / SCSI.PART
for a while and then sold it and got a RAMfast. Worked fine with both.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (12/25/90)

On Sun, 23 Dec 90 23:02:23 CST Abel Vargas said:
>Is there a way to go around the ProDOS 8 32-meg limit on devices? That is, is
>there a way to allow my //e to use a hard drive bigger than 32 MB?

Use more than ONE partition.  There was also a little utility floating around
just a couple of weeks ago here called SCSI.part that would allow you to
access more than just 2 32meg partitions from ProDOS

>UUCP: crash!pnet01!gnh-applesauce!avarg
>ARPA: crash!pnet01!gnh-applesauce!avarg@nosc.mil

  Michael J. Quinn
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga