[comp.sys.apple2] Hard disk question?

01142@brahms.udel.edu (Scott A Harris) (12/17/90)

I am a happy GS owner but like most people I am getting tired of Apple
destroying my hopes about ever having a respected computer.  The meer
thought of buying an IBM makes me crings, mess dos certainly is the
proper name.  Therefor in the not to distant future I am planing to purchase
a Mac, (hey it's better than an IBM)
The question:
	I already know I am recieving a hard disk for christmas.  Will
this work with my new mac? what kind of interfaces should be used?
Will the SCSI card work on the mac.

I realize there are alot of die hard GS users out there who probably won't
like to here about the switch, but come on guys, were a quickly dying breed
and Apple and some of the other third party companies aren't helping any.

I recently went into the computer store where I bought my GS and found there
to be one still displayed, no other ]['s, and a plethora of, what else, macs.
They had the gs off, and the macs all doing some clever program. Like playing
someones third symphony while displaying the most awsome graphics I've ever
seen.  Then I asked how much a hard disk would be for my gs, the sales person
looked for 20 min and then said "duhhhh, we can't get a hard drive for the gs
anymore." So here I am.

Any response to this dilemma would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Scott Harris
ps. If my .sig file still doesn't work just respond on the net.

jpenne@ee.ualberta.ca (Jerry Penner) (12/17/90)

In article <16885@brahms.udel.edu> 01142@brahms.udel.edu (Scott A Harris) writes:
[stuff deleted]
>	I already know I am recieving a hard disk for christmas.  Will
>this work with my new mac? what kind of interfaces should be used?
>Will the SCSI card work on the mac.

Yes.

>I realize there are alot of die hard GS users out there who probably won't
>like to here about the switch, but come on guys, were a quickly dying breed
>and Apple and some of the other third party companies aren't helping any.
	       ^^^^
And some are trying very hard.

>I recently went into the computer store where I bought my GS and found there
>to be one still displayed, no other ]['s, and a plethora of, what else, macs.
>They had the gs off, and the macs all doing some clever program. Like playing
>someones third symphony while displaying the most awsome graphics I've ever
>seen.  Then I asked how much a hard disk would be for my gs, the sales person
>looked for 20 min and then said "duhhhh, we can't get a hard drive for the gs
>anymore." So here I am.

>Any response to this dilemma would be greatly greatly appreciated.

>Scott Harris

You can use any SCSI hard drive on both the GS and the mac.  Go back
to that computer store and tell the salesperson he doesn't know what
he's talking about.  Then write apple computer and tell them how lousy
that dealer is.  Finally, go buy yourself a SCSI hard drive and you
can use it on both the Mac and the GS.  BTW, you don't need a SCSI card
on a Mac since they have built in SCSI ports (unless you have a really
old Mac [128K or 512K]).

--
-------------
    Jerry Penner	alberta!bode!jpenne	Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

bill@pro-gateway.cts.com (Bill Long, SysOp) (12/20/90)

>seen.  Then I asked how much a hard disk would be for my gs, the sales person
>looked for 20 min and then said "duhhhh, we can't get a hard drive for the gs
>anymore." So here I am.

Most Mac hard drives will work on the GS, provided you have the Apple
High-Speed SCSI or the RAMFast SCSI card. I'd try to find another dealer if I
were you...

+----------"Maturity is overrated" - Garfield-------->Pro-Gateway 214/644-5113

sprado@pro-gateway.cts.com (Steve Prado) (12/23/90)

>Most Mac hard drives will work on the GS, provided you have the Apple
>High-Speed SCSI or the RAMFast SCSI card. I'd try to find another dealer if I
>were you...
>
>| ProLine: bill@pro-gateway

I have been trying for a week to get a 150 meg Rodime formated on my GS with a
Rev C card. Has anyone got this setup working? I foramted the drive on a Mac +
with the program "Silverlining" and partitioned it into 5 partitions but as
soon as the GS checked the drive it froze up so I can never reformat it with
prodos. Am thinking about ordering a RamFAST to go with it but not unless it
will format and partition it...

ProLine: sprado@pro-gateway
Internet: sprado@pro-gateway.cts.com
UUCP: crash!pro-gateway!sprado
ARPA: crash!pro-gateway!sprado@nosc.mil
BITNET: sprado%pro-gateway.cts.com@nosc.mil
====================Pro-Gateway 214/644-5113 3/12/2400 baud====================

kimbrennan@gnh-starport.cts.com (Kim Brennan) (12/27/90)

Steve Prado reported trouble formatting (or even recognizing) a 150Meg Rodime
with the Rev. C SCSI card.

I too had troubles with BOTH Apple SCSI cards (Rev. C and DMA). I am now using
a OKS MultiKache w/SCSI. The only other SCSI that can see me drive is the
Ramfast. Go ahead and get one.