[comp.sys.apple2] getting an enhanced //e

gaston@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu (12/19/90)

What is the cheapest way to get an enchanced //e? I have an
unenhanced //e now, and the upgrade from the local apple
facists is about $200. Is there a cheaper place to find it? If
I buy a used enhanced //e, is there a good market for unloading
my current box? I've never been to these dealer fairs, so does
anyone know if there are people who would deal in this at one of
those?

[GASTON]
(Replies to me please)

dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com (Daniel Zimmerman) (12/23/90)

>> What is the cheapest way to get an enhanced IIe?.......
>> The upgrade from the local Apple fascists is $200...

$200 for an Apple IIe Enhancement Kit, the pulling of 4 chips, and the putting
in of 4 new chips? That's a bit steep... If you want to push and pull the chips
yourself (not hard, really), there are plenty of mail order places which sell
the Apple IIe Enhancement Kit for about $60 or so... I don't have a list right
here, but if you send me mail I'll send you some names of places...

Daniel M. Zimmerman             InterNet - dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com
  TFF Enterprises       America Online - Surak TFF    CompuServe - 76407,2246

"Learn reason above all. Learn clear thought; learn to know what is from what
seems to be, and what you wish to be. This is the key to everything: the truth
of reality, the reality of truth. What IS will set you free."
                                                        - Surak Of Vulcan

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (12/23/90)

>>> What is the cheapest way to get an enhanced IIe?.......
>>> The upgrade from the local Apple fascists is $200...

Sounds like a motherboard swap to me.

The original enhancement kit was the four chips and it cost less than $80
RETAIL. You could get it mail order for about $60. The actual parts cost
for blank parts is something like $25...

tsouth@techbook.com (Todd South) (12/24/90)

In article <6469@crash.cts.com> dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com (Daniel Zimmerman)
writes:
>>> What is the cheapest way to get an enhanced IIe?.......
>>> The upgrade from the local Apple fascists is $200...
>
>$200 for an Apple IIe Enhancement Kit, the pulling of 4 chips, and the putting
>in of 4 new chips? That's a bit steep.. If you want to push and pull the chips
>yourself (not hard, really), there are plenty of mail order places which sell
>the Apple IIe Enhancement Kit for about $60 or so... I don't have a list right
>here, but if you send me mail I'll send you some names of places...

>Daniel M. Zimmerman             InterNet - dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com
>  TFF Enterprises       America Online - Surak TFF    CompuServe - 76407,2246
>
>"Learn reason above all. Learn clear thought; learn to know what is from what
>seems to be, and what you wish to be. This is the key to everything: the truth
>of reality, the reality of truth. What IS will set you free."
>                                                        - Surak Of Vulcan

Sorry, I missed the original posting on this, so I am replying to the reply.

Tell your dealer to pack sand.  Better yet, I'm sure that Apple would love
to hear about a dealer installing a $35 upgrade which they were suppose to
only charge a maximum of 1/2's labor for installion (usually bring the cost
up to $70 max).

Also, if you live near a Navy or Air Force base and have friends able to shop
there I know that the kit sells for $39 and is not that hard to install.

Todd South

tsouth@techbook.COM  ...!{tektronix!nosun,uunet}techbook!tsouth
Public Access UNIX at (503) 644-8135 (1200/2400) Voice: +1 503 646-8257
Public Access User --- Not affiliated with TECHbooks

joeq@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Joe Quilici) (12/27/90)

Yes.  That ($70) should be the maximum amount of money charged for such a
simple upgrade.  I performed the not so delicate removal of the ROMs and the
old 65c02 microprocessor myself (at the age of 14) and replaced them with the
upgraded components.  Armed with only a miniature screwdriver, nonetheless.
I recommend you buy the chips from a reputable source for a minimal amount of
money and perform the operation yourself, it's not that difficult and the
instructions come with the package.

(That is my recommendation, I am not employed at Apple, simply a case from an
individual user)

----
ProLine:  joeq@pro-odyssey
Internet: joeq@pro-odyssey.cts.com