[comp.sys.apple2] FDC-10 disk controller for IBM-PC compatable disks and other OS's

kpopple@sim.es.com (Ken Poppleton) (12/28/90)

A couple of weeks ago, some one asked if the FDC-10 Disk controller card
would work with the GS.  I was told by the designer of the card
that the FDC-10 has not been completly tested for the GS.  It has worked on
a GS under ProDos-16 and ProDos-8.  It has not been tested on GS-OS.  If you
would like to try the card on a GS contact Patrick McLaughlin of CTI
    516 12th Ave
    Salt Lake City, Utah 84103
    801/364-4171
He is very willing to answer questions concerning the FDC-10.

For those who do not know what the FDC-10 is ...

The FDC-10 is a disk controller card which enables the Apple II
series of computers utilize IBM pc compatable 5.25 and 3.5 inch
disk drivesof up to 800k bytes.  This provides lower cost drives
than the standard Apple disk drives and the ability to read and
write IBM pc compatable disks.  The drives can be used for Prodos
drives but will not be able to read or write disks which have been
formatted in the standard Apple drives (DISK II drives).

Pricing for the card is from $60 to $100, and drives are about $100 each.

Ken Poppleton
kpopple@esunix@orca.es.com or kpopple@sim.es.com

All views are mine and only reflect my thinking.

In article <1990Dec27.163158.27155@javelin.es.com> kpopple@sim.es.com (Ken Poppleton) writes:
>The FDC-10 is a disk controller card which enables the Apple II
>series of computers utilize IBM pc compatable 5.25 and 3.5 inch
>disk drivesof up to 800k bytes.  This provides lower cost drives
>than the standard Apple disk drives and the ability to read and

	No crap the drives are cheaper!

	At the Fry's sale that I bought a harddrive at yesterday (more
details and problems in an earlier post), they had IBM (i.e. clone)
drives up the wazoo, and I think that lots of them were going for $10..
And I -think- that might be for 360K drives, but I don't remember
for sure.. Even if that is the case, the 720K drives were very cheap also..
(And most everything had warranties too! A 360K drive for $10. DAMN!)

--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. /