[comp.sys.apple2] unshrinking

01142@brahms.udel.edu (Scott A Harris) (12/28/90)

Thanks to everyone who sent me binscii so far it works great.

Now.. Is there an easier way. I'm not very experienced with Unix
but am learning. Currently I use rn to go into comp.binaries.apple2
then as I'm listing the contense of the articles and capturing them
with the capture buffer feature.  THen,  using AWGS to remove all the
unwanted giberish and saving them as a text file. Then converiting them
with binscii.  Isn't there an easier way like on compu$erve or Genie
where I can simply download them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott Harris
01142@brahms.udel.edu

In <17083@brahms.udel.edu> 01142@brahms.udel.edu (Scott A Harris) writes:
>Now.. Is there an easier way. I'm not very experienced with Unix
>but am learning. Currently I use rn to go into comp.binaries.apple2

	When you find a file you want to download, just type
"w <filename>" (obviously without the quotes and the <>s) at a prompt..

	If you just want to download it RIGHT AWAY, you can type
"w /tmp/<filename>" so it will go into the /tmp directory on UNIX
and won't be counted as your own space.. But this way you should
download it soon (i.e. within a half hour or so at most) because it can get
deleted.

	Now you can either use a terminal program to download it
(for example  "xmodem sbyk /tmp/filename" will tell UNIX to send the
filename in YMODEM BATCH mode, which is the best mode to use)..

	Then after that you'd have to use BINSCII on it then ShrinkIT
probably..

	there's also a UNIX program that will UN-binscii the file so that
the download will be smaller and thus take less time.

	I only have a runnable program though so I can't send it to you.
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. /