[comp.sys.apple2] One finger control sequences

glgac@marlin.jcu.edu.au (G A Carpenter) (12/19/90)

(apologies to anyone who sees this more than once - this is a repost)

Can anyone suggest a technique (soft or hardware) which
would let a person with the use of only a single digit
issue control characters from the keyboard of an Apple IIe?

I imagine two possible solutions:

-	A driver of some description which allows the
	keys to be pressed in sequence.
	(this is preferred)

-	A mechanical key lock on the control key.

I am trying to assist a young man with the use of only
one finger to use his computer.  Any responses at all would
be greatly appreciated.

Guy Carpenter			Marine Geophysics
guy@frank.jcu.edu.au		Townsville, Qld, Australia

THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET ("Throop,Henry B") (12/19/90)

[question about using control characters on //e with one finger]

What are you trying to do that requires control characters?  If it is
something like a word processor, there are some around (like Bank Street
Writer) that do not require control- or apple- sequences.

Assuming you do need this feature, it should be possible, with a bit
of soldering, to wire a simple toggle pushbutton in place of the control
keyswitch, similar to the caps lock key.  This might be somewhat risky, but
it's the only way I see to do that from hardware; the control key doesn't
have a signal line on the cable from the keyboard to the motherboard.

If it's at all possible to get use of a IIgs, the newer machines (ROM version
03) have a built in 'Sticky Keys' feature that does exactly what you are
looking for.  Rumor has it that this may also be included in software for the
ROM 01 machines with teh next System 5.0.4 release.

Henry
--
Henry Throop
THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET

In article <1990Dec19.042800.29958@marlin.jcu.edu.au> glgac@marlin.jcu.edu.au (G A Carpenter) writes:
>Can anyone suggest a technique (soft or hardware) which
>would let a person with the use of only a single digit
>issue control characters from the keyboard of an Apple IIe?
>
>I am trying to assist a young man with the use of only
>one finger to use his computer.  Any responses at all would
>be greatly appreciated.

	This isn't the kind of response you're looking for, but the GS
has this capability already.. It's called Sticky Keys...

	From what I believe, you tap a control or shift key a few times and
then it's as if it was continually pushed until you hit the key again.

	Hey, seems to be a good reason to me to go from a //e to a GS!

--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
|WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. |

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (12/20/90)

On Wed, 19 Dec 90 00:51:48 cst Throop,Henry B said:

>Assuming you do need this feature, it should be possible, with a bit
>of soldering, to wire a simple toggle pushbutton in place of the control
>keyswitch, similar to the caps lock key.  This might be somewhat risky, but
>it's the only way I see to do that from hardware; the control key doesn't
>have a signal line on the cable from the keyboard to the motherboard.

Are you sure?  I have a PC Transporter and some of the software I use with it
can sense when I'm holding down -just- the control key (same with right and
left shift keys) and I didn't have to reconnect my keyboard to another port.
Although, I may be wrong, it seems that there should be a way to detect it
if the PCT can do it.

>Henry
>--
>Henry Throop
>THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET
>throoph@jacobs.cs.orst.edu

  Michael J. Quinn
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
  BITNET--   mquinn@utcvm
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET ("Throop,Henry B") (12/20/90)

Michael J. Quinn writes:

> Are you sure the control key can not be read?  My PCT can sense
> whether this key is down or not.

On the //e, which is what the original poster asked about, it cannot
be sensed.  On the gs, the control key's status can be read by looking at bit
1 of the keyboard modifier register at $C025.

Henry
--
Henry Throop
THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (12/20/90)

In article <9012191737.AA10606@apple.com> MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:
>On Wed, 19 Dec 90 00:51:48 cst Throop,Henry B said:
>> the control key doesn't
>>have a signal line on the cable from the keyboard to the motherboard.
>
>Are you sure?  I have a PC Transporter and some of the software I use with it
>can sense when I'm holding down -just- the control key (same with right and
>left shift keys)

On pre-//GS machines there is no way to tell when *just* a shift (or
control) key is down. On //GS's, you can tell when the control key is
down, or when either shift key (but you can't tell the difference) is
down, or if the capslock key is down. I don't know offhand if these
can be detected independently, or if you have to read the register
after a keystroke (ie, the modifier was down in tandem with a real
key). This same register also notes the Open Apple and Option key
states and whether the last key hit is one the keypad (includes
function keys).

--
Dave Whitney
Computer Science MIT 1990	| I wrote Z-Link and BinSCII. Send me bug

danny@gnh-starport.cts.com (Daniel Manchester) (12/28/90)

     What about a foot switch? Would it be possible to pry off the "control"
key and wire one in? I don't know much about electronics, but it seems like it
would work, and it would be quite cheap...

                                Danny Manchester
                            Silver Spring, Maryland

InterNet: danny@gnh-starport.cts.com    ProLine: danny@gnh-starport
UUCP: crash!gnh-starport!danny          ARPA: crash!gnh-starport!danny@nosc.mil