[comp.sys.apple2] using basic to access the IIGS serial port

jmb@cbnews.att.com (James M. Brohard) (12/18/90)

OK, it looks like it may be a little tough to use ORCA/C to read and write
the IIGS serial port.  Is it possible to use Applesoft Basic?  It looks like
IN#1 and PR#1 should work after setting the baud rate with the setup menu.
Is this the way to do it?

Thanks much for any help.
jmb brohard

cbnmva!jmb or jmb@cbnmva
or
cbnews!jmb or jmb@cbnews

sysadmin@pnet91.cts.com (Matthew Montano) (12/29/90)

jmb@cbnews.att.com (James M. Brohard) writes:

>OK, it looks like it may be a little tough to use ORCA/C to read and write
>the IIGS serial port.  Is it possible to use Applesoft Basic?  It looks like
>IN#1 and PR#1 should work after setting the baud rate with the setup menu.
>Is this the way to do it?
>
>Thanks much for any help.
>jmb brohard
>
>cbnmva!jmb or jmb@cbnmva
>or
>cbnews!jmb or jmb@cbnews

It is actually very simple to use the IIgs serial ports from ORCA/C. I do it
regularly for a variety of projects.. One being GenericComm v3.0. A good
start, if you don't want to build your own library is John Snow's routines
"CSERIO" and the companion "SERIO" library. There is also a few user toolsets
available to do the same thing. This is all available from America ONLine.

Matthew
---
Email: sysadmin@pnet91.cts.com (most mailers won't barf on that..)
My comments aren't even worth a disclaimer...
pnet91 - 416-237-{1204|0308}. 2400bps only. 1200bps if you do hard breaks.