[comp.sys.apple2] Remembering the classics...

In article <37706@ut-emx.uucp> ifar355@walt.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:
>By the way, how many of you have seen the Integer Basic Applevision demo,
>written by Brian Bishop, the same person who wrote Dung Beetles? I thought it
>was rather cute :-)

	Wasn't Applevision the one that played some pretty darn complicated
music? (complicated for the 8 bit Apple IIs with cruddy speaker IMHO).

	What I think is really cool is that I saw a 'port' (heh) of
Lemonade to the Mac! Saw it in color on a housemate's Mac II (from work)
last year. Now that seems to show that a lot of the old games are classics
and are being rewritten to entertain more people.

	By the way, was Lemonade done first (or only, at least back then)
for the Apple II or was it done for the PET, C64, etc.? [Didja know the PET
stands for Personal Electronic Transactor, or something close to that??
Heard it on the ComputerBowl from the Computer Chronicles, a PBS show]

--
/pqbdpqbdpqbd   Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu   dbqpdbqpdbqp\
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

ifar355@walt.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (09/28/90)

In article <7261@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>	Wasn't Applevision the one that played some pretty darn complicated
>music? (complicated for the 8 bit Apple IIs with cruddy speaker IMHO).

  [ stuff about Lemonade being ported to a Mac deleted ]
>--
>/pqbdpqbdpqbd   Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu   dbqpdbqpdbqp\
>\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

Yup, that's the program that I was talking about. It drew Hires graphics
(with machine language,since Int Basic didn't have hplot/hgr and all that stuff)
with a small dancing animated figure. I think "Turkey in the Straw" was the
song that it played. Neat thing was that it used the PRINT command to write to
the hires screen (probably the first time someone ever did that). The text
on hires screen thing was rewritten by someone and published in an old issue
of Nibble.

BTW, what's Lemonade?

David Huang                              |           This space
Internet: ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu     |          intentionally
America Online: DrWho29                  |           left blank

In article <37734@ut-emx.uucp> ifar355@walt.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:
>BTW, what's Lemonade?

	In this game you ran a lemonade stand! Sounds utterly lame, huh?
Well it was only 1/2 utterly lame.. (just kidding)

	You ran a lemonade stand and had to make lots of decisions. I
forget what kinds of decisions though.. How many pitchers of lemonade to
make or something like that..

	The one thing I -do- remember about that game is one message:
(not an exact quote but hopefully close enough)

	Your price just went up. Mom stopped giving you free sugar.
--
/pqbdpqbdpqbd   Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu   dbqpdbqpdbqp\
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

jem@hpisod2.HP.COM (Jim McCauley) (09/28/90)

From and earlier posting:

>	By the way, was Lemonade done first (or only, at least back then)
> for the Apple II or was it done for the PET, C64, etc.?

The first version of the "Lemonade Stand" simulation that I ever saw
was on a General Electric minicomputer (a 635, I think) at Dartmouth
in 1968.  I was told that it had been written in BASIC, but who the
author was, I cannot say.

I saw a similar program a few years later (about 1972) running at a
Teletype terminal at the Lawrence Hall of Science in Berkeley,
California.  I don't know what language it was written in, but it was
probably some flavor of BASIC.  I'm not sure of the hardware either;
it was probably either an HP or DEC mini of some kind.

Jim McCauley	jem@hpulpcu3.cup.hp.com
Disclaimer: I speak truth, but only on my own behalf.

rjv21207@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (09/28/90)

Wow...all of this discussion on "classic" apple games. You know, I'd say
soemone could really make a killing re-releasing a lot of those old games...

Here are some older ones I can remember playing also:  Boulder Dash, Drelbs,
Tax-Man, Thief (Berzerk), Space Eggs, Apple-Oids, Snake Byte, Plasmania,
etc etc etc... I can't even remember the names anymore...

The great thing was, a lot of the older, less complex games that were out
10 years ago, are just as entertaining to play today (if out have tmem)
than the were when they came out...

Anyone remember the game Space Vikings from Sub-Logic? That was another
pretty good game.

Somone mentioned a while ago abut patents and copyrights-- I do believe
a patent never expires, and compyrights are for either 3 or 7 years.  That
would mean unless a company re-newed a copyright on a piece of software it
would effectively go into the public domain after the copyright expired,
right?  If that is the case, wouldn't it be nice to have an FTP site with
a bunch of the old, out-of-copyright Apple games?  Something to consider
perhaps?  (I'm not implicating that everyone go out an pirate stuff either,
so please don't flame me on this one... )

Oh well... back to work...

      /\___________________________________________________________/\
      \//                                                         \\/
      //  Randy Vose - University of Illinois at Champaign/Urbana  \\
      \\                 rjv21207@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu                 //
      /\___________________________________________________________/\
      \/                                                           \/

      WARNING: For the protection of your equipment, lower levels are
               recommended for initial  playback until you're sure we
               aren't kidding.   (Warning label on Telarc DDD CD's...)

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (09/29/90)

In lemonade stand, you had to decide how much lemonade to make (after
figuring its cost per glass), How much to charge per glass and how
much to spend on advertising (signs taped to nearby streetcorners).

The program would throw variables like bad weather, or mom's sugar
shortage at you and you had to cope.   It was a pretty good, simple
economic simulation.

It didn't have reasonable range checking though.  The more you
advertised, the more people would come by your stand.   My brother
figured out that if you advertised enought you could charge $50 for a
glass of lemonade and still sell it...

Seymour

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (09/29/90)

In article <37734@ut-emx.uucp> ifar355@walt.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:
>In article <7261@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>>	Wasn't Applevision the one that played some pretty darn complicated
>>music? (complicated for the 8 bit Apple IIs with cruddy speaker IMHO).

>Yup, that's the program that I was talking about. It drew Hires graphics
>(with machine language,since Int Basic didn't have hplot/hgr and all that stuff)

Had assembly code embedded.  He had to pull some weird tricks to keep the
assembly code from relocating itself (if you saved it after running it,
the assembly didn't get saved... the direct page program registers got
changed).

>with a small dancing animated figure. I think "Turkey in the Straw" was the
>song that it played. Neat thing was that it used the PRINT command to write to
>the hires screen (probably the first time someone ever did that). The text
>on hires screen thing was rewritten by someone and published in an old issue
>of Nibble.

It's like 80 bytes plus the character table.  Saw a version in an Assembly
Lines column in Softalk.

>BTW, what's Lemonade?

AIIIIGH!

Next you'll be asking "what's Space Eggs" or "did VisiCalc sell all that
many copies"...  8-O

Funny how all these Mac people think playing Risk on a computer is such
a new experience.  Anybody out there remember the Apple II version from
1979?

(hint: same company as "Robot Wars")

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
..!ucbvax!cory!fadden

a34@mindlink.UUCP (David Martyn) (09/29/90)

Now I always thought that the greatest game of all time was "Crossfire".  You
had to use both hands and four fingers on each hand.  The I,J,K,L keys allowed
you to move and the other E,S,D,F allowed you to fire in four directions.  The
highest score around here was 42,000.
David Martyn, Burnaby, British Columbia  |  Perfection of the means of
Sysop: Apples BC  BBS                    |  communication has meant
David_Martyn@MindLink.uucp               |  instantaneity. (McLuhan)

In article <139800029@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> rjv21207@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>Here are some older ones I can remember playing also:  Boulder Dash, Drelbs,
>Tax-Man, Thief (Berzerk), Space Eggs, Apple-Oids, Snake Byte, Plasmania,

	TaxMan (and source code) was sold along with a compiler that
(the author of TaxMan whose name I forget) was selling.

--

ehsu@husc9.harvard.edu (Visual Editor) (09/30/90)

In article <28316@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU writes:
>Funny how all these Mac people think playing Risk on a computer is such
>a new experience.  Anybody out there remember the Apple II version from
>1979?
>
>(hint: same company as "Robot Wars")
>
>--
>fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
>..!ucbvax!cory!fadden

I don't remember the RISK game, but my roommates and I are still playing
RobotWar (from Muse, by Silas Warner). It just occurred to me, did Muse
have any other programmers beside Silas? The only Muse games I can think of now
are Castle Wolfenstein I and II, FireBug, and RobotWar, all by the disappeared
Silas Warner (and at least the last two had his trademark screen that was
totally blank except for a little "WAIT..." in the middle).

If anyone has a hotshot robot they want to send me, e-mail away. My roommates
are trying to create a tangent function lookup table using RobotWar's advanced
indirect register addressing mode. One of them made a robot "Bob" that bolted
for the top left hand corner and sat there until a certain amount of damage was
taken. Then it ran top speed into the bottom right hand corner smashing and
shooting itself to death. You gotta respect that robot's attitude.

Eric Hsu                           ehsu@husc4.Bitnet, ehsu@husc4.harvard.edu

rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (09/30/90)

You can get the Taxman source listings with the Lisa/816 assembler from
Brian Fitzgerald @ Hal Labs.  18942 Dallas.  Riverside, Ca., 92508.
You can reach Brian on BIX as "bfitz".  He hangs around on Compuserve as
well but I don't know his sign on name.  If you have a GS, YOU should get
Lisa/816.  Brian's done a great job on it since I have him the original
Lisa files.
*** Randy Hyde O-)

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (09/30/90)

I remember when our high school got 5 apple ][+'s and people
would spend time in there after school playing 'sabotage',
which  is deceivingly simple and very addictive :-) Then someone
wrote a pretty decent game in applesoft which very much resembled
missile command, and then there was the computer match program
that was written for our high school for fundraisers. That was
an impressive program - it had data files that contained
different information for each student (with some duplication)
which were used for different purposes. The data could be entered
on 5 computers, then the files merged, then the program run
simultaneously on 5 computers, the files merged again, then
5 printers could print simultaneously. As it was, with about 675
students it took all night to run and the year I did it we only
had 2 printers going and it took all day. After that I re-wrote
the slow parts in assembly (using the mini-assembler!) and it
took a total of only (!) 6 hours for all those students. I'm sure
it could have been sped up more, but hey I was a junior in high school!

Then someone brought in Castle Wolfenstein, and that became the
first game I owned for my //e (the game was a christmas gift).
We had a joystick but we liked to play with 2 people, one firing
and one moving. Fun stuff.

Gee, finally a topic of discussion I can get into!

BTW Muse software released super-text, which worked in 40, 56, or
70 columns, in 1982. It was written by E. Zaron.

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (10/01/90)

rjv21207@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> Wow...all of this discussion on "classic" apple games. You know, I'd say
> soemone could really make a killing re-releasing a lot of those old games...
>
> Somone mentioned a while ago abut patents and copyrights-- I do believe
> a patent never expires, and compyrights are for either 3 or 7 years.  That
> would mean unless a company re-newed a copyright on a piece of software it
> would effectively go into the public domain after the copyright expired,
> right?  If that is the case, wouldn't it be nice to have an FTP site with
> a bunch of the old, out-of-copyright Apple games?  Something to consider
> perhaps?  (I'm not implicating that everyone go out an pirate stuff either,
> so please don't flame me on this one... )

What is the deal on this? I think one of the greatest things of the //
are those old, extremely clever games that people made years ago. Can
these things be preserved and distributed, like on FTP sites? I don't
want to violate copyright laws either, but I think these games should
be amde available, so people can see how fun a // can be.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|Jeremy Mereness                 | Support    | Ye Olde Disclaimer:    |
|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet) |   Free     |  The above represent my|
|a700jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet) |    Software|  opinions, alone.      |
|staff/student@Carnegie Mellon U.|            |  Ya Gotta Love It.     |

6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) (10/01/90)

 i don't think patents are "forever".  The prob is
there isn't any easy way to figure out if a oldie is
still copyrighted.  When some of the older companies
"went under" all their software was bought by big
guys.  They still hold the (c).

The second problem is the protection, all the old
games have very intense protection, so ShrinkIt
cannot pack them.

Just enjoy in solitude I guess.  :)

prao

bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) (10/01/90)

In <6394@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) writes:

> i don't think patents are "forever".  The prob is
>there isn't any easy way to figure out if a oldie is
>still copyrighted.  When some of the older companies
>"went under" all their software was bought by big
>guys.  They still hold the (c).
>
>The second problem is the protection, all the old
>games have very intense protection, so ShrinkIt
>cannot pack them.
>
>prao

The problem here is that programs are not patented, but rather are
copyrighted, and a copyright exists for life plus either 50 or 75 years
after the owner dies.. Since we do not know if someone else has purchased
the copyrights on these games, or if they reverted back to the author
after the company died, someone would have to track down each author, find
out who the owner is, and if it be the author, get something written from
them authorizing the release of the code into the public domain..

On the other hand, we do not in fact even know if, just because a
copyright notice was placed on the software, the copyright was ever
filed with the proper authorities. It is a big mish mash best not
toyed with unless you get written notice from the proper copyright
holder which may or may not be the author, depending on the terms of the
agreement they made on that program.

--
   bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu | bsherman@pro-exchange | MCI MAIL:BSHERMAN

rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (10/01/90)

Copyrights last for a long time (100 years, I believe).  If a company holding
a copyright goes belly up, the copyright reverts back to the author.  The
rights to not revert to the public domain.

A couple of years ago I remember some outfit rereleasing some classic
Apple II games.  Don't think it was much of a commercial success.  Compare
this to the music industry-- When was the last time a hit from ten years
ago made it back onto the charts.  OTOH, If the original (or a different
programmer redid the work a little, it could become successful in today's
market.  For example, take Bill Budge's Pinball machine (one of my old
favorites) and modify it to work on a GS, to take advantage of GS graphics.
That's all.  No further modifications.  I bet it would still sell well.
OTOH, I found it in a discount bin (old Apple II format) for $5 three mo.s
ago.  Classics, re-released without change, do not seem to do well.

In article <6394@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) writes:
>The second problem is the protection, all the old
>games have very intense protection, so ShrinkIt
>cannot pack them.

	You must lead a sheltered life! (just kidding)

	MANY MANY of the old games are available (i.e. pirated or via
patches/hacking on your originals using docs spread over BBSes) in file
versions... Dung Beetles, Choplifter, Hard Hat Mack, Star Maze, Montezuma's
Revenge, etc... I could go on for a while!

	I'm not advocating piracy, I just said that many are available that
way. [Although in other posts, I've said I personally see nothing wrong with
piracy used to test out programs for a period of time to see if they're
good enough to buy]

--
/pqbdpqbdpqbd   Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu   dbqpdbqpdbqp\
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

huang@husc9.harvard.edu (Howard Huang) (10/01/90)

Well, Stoneyville Manor was the first adventure game I ever played,
and it was GREAT.  Alien Typhoon is my favorite mindless shoot-em-up,
and Crossfire also kept me occupied for a while.

BTW: Did anyone ever play Sierra's Time Zone?  I believe it cost $99
and came with 6 double-sided disks.  I usually stuck with Infocom...

Howard C. Huang                        Internet:  huang@husc9.harvard.edu
Junior Computer Science Major          Bitnet:    huang@husc9.BITNET
Mather House 030, Harvard College      UUCP:      huang@husc9.UUCP (I think)
Cambridge, MA 02138                    Apple II:  ftp husc6.harvard.edu

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/01/90)

In article <HUANG.90Sep30202341@husc9.harvard.edu> huang@husc9.harvard.edu (Howard Huang) writes:
>BTW: Did anyone ever play Sierra's Time Zone?  I believe it cost $99
>and came with 6 double-sided disks.  I usually stuck with Infocom...

Yeah, and unfortunately if you followed the recommended procedure to make
copies and play from the backups, sooner or later the program malfunctioned.
(Apparently more than the standard number of tracks were used.)  However, I
did complete the game, finally, with a hint from Sierra's telephone hot line.
I liked the concept, but was somewhat annoyed at the large number of total
dead ends, i.e. places and times that were not essential to winning the game.
Still, it was a real classic that deserves to be marketed in some ProDOS-
compatible form today, like many other Apple II games that have been
mentioned here.

paul@nuchat.UUCP (Paul Hutmacher) (10/02/90)

In article <HUANG.90Sep30202341@husc9.harvard.edu> huang@husc9.harvard.edu (Howard Huang) writes:
> BTW: Did anyone ever play Sierra's Time Zone?  I believe it cost $99
> and came with 6 double-sided disks.  I usually stuck with Infocom...

I tried for a night or two on my boss's machine.  We'd stay late (like midnight
or so) after work and play games on the "new" Apple //e the company bought.
Then they showed us Wizardry and we were hooked big time.  My wife thought I
was fooling around because I'd never come home from work on weekends.

I have said this a zillion times but I'll say it one more:  We need more games
for the Apple II.  I bought my IIgs to play games and dammit there are none!

--
paul@nuchat.UUCP
{uhnix1, uunet}!nuchat!paul

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/02/90)

In article <28855@nuchat.UUCP> paul@nuchat.UUCP (Paul Hutmacher) writes:
>I bought my IIgs to play games ...

Me, too (primarily).

>... and dammit there are none!

More accurately, there aren't many, even ones that could readily be ported,
and there have been few recent releases for the IIGS.  However, there are
several good IIGS games, including some that are not available for other
brands of computer.  Here are ones that I recall at the moment that I own
and would recommend, in roughly descending order of personal preference:

	Xenocide (Micro Revelations)
	probably Cosmocade (ditto); is this available yet?
	Dungeon Master (FTL?)
	Alien Mind (PBI)
	Shanghai (Activision)
	Tunnels of Armageddon
	Arkanoid I and II (Taito)
	probably Rastan (Taito)
	Thexder (Sierra)
	Bard's Tale I and II
	Space Quest I and II (Sierra)
	Keef the Thief
	Qix (Taito)
	Leisure Suit Larry I (Sierra)
	King's Quest I, II, III, and IV (Sierra)
	Police Quest I (Sierra)
	Strip Poker II (Artworx)
	Deja Vu I and II (ICOM)
	Uninvited (ICOM)
	Life and Death (Berkeley SoftWorks)
	Where in the (World/USA) is Carmen Sandiego? (Broderbund)

There are others that I haven't yet played enough to form an opinion,
and probably some that I simply forgot to mention.

UD182050@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) (10/02/90)

In article <28855@nuchat.UUCP>, paul@nuchat.UUCP (Paul Hutmacher) says:

>In article <HUANG.90Sep30202341@husc9.harvard.edu> huang@husc9.harvard.edu (Howard Huang) writes:
>> BTW: Did anyone ever play Sierra's Time Zone?  I believe it cost $99
>> and came with 6 double-sided disks.  I usually stuck with Infocom...
>
>I tried for a night or two on my boss's machine.  We'd stay late (like midnight
>or so) after work and play games on the "new" Apple //e the company bought.
>Then they showed us Wizardry and we were hooked big time.  My wife thought I
>was fooling around because I'd never come home from work on weekends.
>
>I have said this a zillion times but I'll say it one more:  We need more games
>for the Apple II.  I bought my IIgs to play games and dammit there are none!
>
>--
>paul@nuchat.UUCP
>{uhnix1, uunet}!nuchat!paul
>paul%nuchat.uucp@uhnix1.uh.edu

I've got two 3.5" disk holders full (roughly 100 disks), as well as a 45M HD
full of Apple IIgs specific games (although I'll admit some are garbage, and I
rarely touch any of them (although Test Drive II, Arkanoid II, ShufflePuck Cafe
and Rastan still see a fair amount of use).
-------
Mike Aos                                               Death to IBM!
East Grand Forks, MN (yeah, it's COLD up here)      Are Amiga's really
UD182050@NDSUVM1 (.Bitnet?) |  Apple IIgs | "Share and Enjoy"
UD182050@VM1.NoDak.Edu    | (and Sun 2/120) | -Sirius Cybernetics Corporation

paul@nuchat.UUCP (Paul Hutmacher) (10/04/90)

In article <4717UD182050@NDSUVM1> UD182050@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) writes:
> I've got two 3.5" disk holders full (roughly 100 disks), as well as a 45M HD
> full of Apple IIgs specific games (although I'll admit some are garbage, and I
> rarely touch any of them (although Test Drive II, Arkanoid II, ShufflePuck Cafe
> and Rastan still see a fair amount of use).

I do too.

Now I'd like some more.  Something like Harpoon GS or Steel Thunder GS or any
of the really rad games that are written for the PC platform.

How 'bout Sim City GS?  I'm just worried the software houses don't consider
the Apple IIgs.
--
paul@nuchat.UUCP
{uhnix1, uunet}!nuchat!paul
paul%nuchat.uucp@uhnix1.uh.edu

jimo@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (The Eternal Optimist @ the Infernal Machine) (10/04/90)

!
!
! In article <37734@ut-emx.uucp! ifar355@walt.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:
!!BTW, what's Lemonade?
!
! 	In this game you ran a lemonade stand! Sounds utterly lame, huh?
! Well it was only 1/2 utterly lame.. (just kidding)
!
! 	You ran a lemonade stand and had to make lots of decisions. I
! forget what kinds of decisions though.. How many pitchers of lemonade to
! make or something like that..
!
! 	The one thing I -do- remember about that game is one message:
! (not an exact quote but hopefully close enough)
!
! 	Your price just went up. Mom stopped giving you free sugar.

Lemonade was part of the disks that came with my 2c.  The game was an
elemental lesson in business.  I remember it well since my wife and I
played it alot when we first got the machine.  You were given X number
of $$ and could buy supplies, do building improvements and advertise
in any amounts, so long as you didn't overspend.  And yes, I too
remember the free sugar cutbacks...
--

"Save your edits every 5 minutes or 5 lines, whichever comes first."

rsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Roby Sherman) (12/29/90)

This holiday season, give someone the gift that keeps on giving.. The
BlackBeard, lo-res, Xmas animated scenes diskette...

Gosh.. Anyone remember that 'ol thing? Still looks good on my IIgs, even
today!

-- Roby

Roby Sherman                Ye olde Nets : rsherman@mthvax.cs.edu
                            US Snail     : P.O. Box 63-04, Miami, Fl. 33163