[comp.sys.apple2] Digitizing sounds on a IIgs

lwv27@CAS.BITNET (12/29/90)

Okay, my interest in digitizing sounds is growing.  What I am in search
of are folks out there digitizing sounds onto their IIgs.  My goal is
to take sounds from TV (or VCR tapes) and turn them into sound files on
the IIGs.

Now, my problem is this - I do not know what hardware or software I
need to do this.

So, if you are involved with such a treat, would you either discuss
this on the group or at least drop me email so that I can start putting
together the appropriate tools??  Thanks!
--
Larry W. Virden                 UUCP: osu-cis!chemabs!lwv27
Same Mbox: BITNET: lwv27@cas    INET: lwv27%cas.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu

bill@pro-gateway.cts.com (Bill Long, SysOp) (12/31/90)

>Okay, my interest in digitizing sounds is growing.  What I am in search
>of are folks out there digitizing sounds onto their IIgs.  My goal is
>to take sounds from TV (or VCR tapes) and turn them into sound files on
>the IIGs.
>
>Now, my problem is this - I do not know what hardware or software I
>need to do this.

Well, I just use the little digitizer that came with HyperStudio. If I want
to record a sound off of the VCR or TV, I do this:

1. Hook up my tape deck to the TV (via a little box that splits the sound
into two wires).

2. Record the sound I want to digitize onto the tape.

3. Hook up a wire going from the earphone jack of my stereo to the microphone
jack in the back of the computer (The wire and the microphone jack both came
with HyperStudio!).

4. Use Sound Shop (came with HS) to record the sound.

5. Then, if I want, I can use Sound Studio to change it into a normal BIN
sound file, and then compress it with ACER.

  Internet/ProLine: bill@pro-gateway.cts.com
+-----------+ UUCP: crash!pro-gateway!bill
|Pro-Gateway| ARPA: crash!pro-gateway!bill@nosc.mil
|214/6445113|
+-Dallas,TX-+

lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) (12/31/90)

In article <9012290610.AA02952@lilac.berkeley.edu> lwv27@CAS.BITNET writes:
>Okay, my interest in digitizing sounds is growing.  What I am in search
>of are folks out there digitizing sounds onto their IIgs.  My goal is
>to take sounds from TV (or VCR tapes) and turn them into sound files on
>the IIGs.
>
>Now, my problem is this - I do not know what hardware or software I
>need to do this.

Larry,
 It's pretty simple to do. I own an Applied Eng SonicBlaster card and I grab
sounds all the time from the TV (or VCR). All you really need is the card,
the output device (TV, VCR, etc) and enough patch cord and converter plugs
(easily obtainable from any Radio Shack) to go between your computer and
input device. Things get a little more complicated (more wires, etc) if
you want to monitor what you are digitizing as you do so, but nothing a child
couldn't figure out. Again, you're main obstacle to getting digitized sounds
is getting a digitizer board.

--
Kevin S. Green / lucifer@world.std.com / {xylogics;uunet}!world!lucifer
Party naked... /AOL: Gargoth / BIX: Keving / Pro-line: kgreen@pro-angmar