[comp.sys.apple2] rom disk

01142@brahms.udel.edu (Scott A Harris) (12/18/90)

When I'm in the control panel setting up the startu[ drive I keep seeing
the usual options but I've always wondered how to startup from rom.
What do you need to do.  What is in rom.  You obviously can't put anything
there (read only memory). How do I do it.
Any help here would be appreciated.
Scott Harris
ps. could someone please tell me how to get my .signature file to work.
thanks

THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET ("Throop,Henry B") (12/18/90)

Scott Harris writes:
[what is a rom disk?]

Applied Engineering makes a RamKeeper card for the gs that goes into the
momory expansion slot, where then you can plug one or two gs RAM cards into
it.  It retains a portion of the cards' RAM as battery backed, so it stays
when the power is turned off.  You can then boot from this like a normal
drive.

Technically, it is not a ROM disk, since, as you point out, ROM is not
changable, and the card doesn't actually boot off its ROM.  However, to the
gs, a ROMdisk simply refers to a non-volatile RAM disk that appears as a
standard ProDOS volume.

Checkmate made a similar card, MemorySaver.

[how do I get my .signature working]

If you're on Unix, you need to add execute permission to your .signature
file: 'chmod u+x .signature', provide you have already created the file.

Please limit your .signature to just your name and e-mail address; putting
pitctures and long quotes in is pointless and simply clogs up the net even
more.

Henry
--
Henry Throop
THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET

tribby@hpindwa.cup.hp.com (David Tribby) (12/19/90)

THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET ("Throop,Henry B") wrote...
>Scott Harris writes:
>[what is a rom disk?]
>
>Applied Engineering makes a RamKeeper card for the gs that goes into the
>momory expansion slot, where then you can plug one or two gs RAM cards into
>it.  It retains a portion of the cards' RAM as battery backed, so it stays
>when the power is turned off.  You can then boot from this like a normal
>drive.
>
>Technically, it is not a ROM disk, since, as you point out, ROM is not
>changable, and the card doesn't actually boot off its ROM.  However, to the
>gs, a ROMdisk simply refers to a non-volatile RAM disk that appears as a
>standard ProDOS volume.

I believe the ROM Disk in the slots configuration refers to memory that is
mapped to banks F0-F7. RAM cards add their memory just above the "fast" banks
on the mother board. The high portion of that memory can be configured as a
RAM disk.

Do the RamKeeper and similar cards remap some of the RAM to banks F0-F7?
There's only 512K maximum available there...hardly enough for a boot-up
of a GS. When you want to boot off of this battery backed-up RAM do you
set the configuration to RAM Disk or ROM Disk?

The Octoram memory card has a special add-on card, ESP, that adds battery
backed-up RAM beginning in bank F0. It comes with 128K, and can be expanded
to a "full" 512K. It's possible to put ProDOS 8 on there and actually boot
up from the ROM disk. I don't recall any other true ROM card for the GS.

Apple hardware gurus...any corrections?

-- Dave Tribby

scott@hpuslma.STLOUIS.HP.COM (Jim Scott) (12/21/90)

As an addendum to Henry's comments on 'battery backed ROM disks,' Checkmate
went out of business and the company that picked up some of their line of
products decided not to support the Memorysaver card.  My Memorysaver died
a few months ago, so now I am back to trying A.E's. Ramkeeper once they
send me a new I.C. that will work with either my A.I. or S & S 4MB RAM
board.  One caveat with the Ramkeeper, too, A.E. doesn't manufacture it
anymore either, but they do still support it; my current one was purchased
used and I added the latest firmware upgrade, Rev. 1.7 (1.4 was probably
sufficient for my IIGS ROM 01 machine).

Being spoiled by having GS/OS and Appleworks GS in ROM for extremely fast
boot up and access 'forced' me to try implementing it with the Ramkeeper
once again.  My first one wouldn't handle both 256K and 1MB chip RAM cards
and that is why I originally bought the Memorysaver.

By the way A.E. tech. support told me that the Ramkeeper wasn't selling
enough to warrant its continuation; their Vulcan hard disks are what they
are pushing for mass storage and faster file access vs. 3.5" floppies.

Jim

throoph@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (12/27/90)

scott@hpuslma.STLOUIS.HP.COM (Jim Scott) writes:

>By the way A.E. tech. support told me that the Ramkeeper wasn't selling
>enough to warrant its continuation; their Vulcan hard disks are what they
>are pushing for mass storage and faster file access vs. 3.5" floppies.

I also heard from someone that it was discontinued because there were a few
lawsuits agains AE in the works.  It seems that some people's got a bit
overheated and caused some fires in their computers and homes.

I posted a few days ago, but does anyone know what the coltage output
on the external transformer for this thing is?

>Jim

Henry
--
---
Henry Throop

kimbrennan@gnh-starport.cts.com (Kim Brennan) (12/28/90)

The AE Ramkeeper can have a maximum of 2048K bytes assigned to the ROM disk
(the actual memory used for a 2048K ROM disk is 2112K). A 2047K ROM disk (via
the Ramkeeper) needs only 2048K of Ram. This is because the Ramkeeper needs 1K
to of memory to set up the pseudo Rom disk and can only address memory in 64K
chunks. Excuse me, can only change the size of the memory allocated in 64K
chunks, the ROM disk size can be changed in 1K chunks.
INET: /\_/\  kimbrennan@gnh-starport.cts.com
     / o o \ America Online: KimBrennan
     (  v  ) ______
     /// \\\       \\
      (          / /\\
      | || |\___/ /  ))
     /// ///   ///   ((
                     ))
                     ~

penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) (01/01/91)

Speaking of ROM disks, I have a used Ramkeeper for sale here.  I'd like $100
and I'll pay the shipping and COD fees.  I'm willing to negotiate.

Mark

[  Mark Steiger, Sysop, The Igloo BBS  218/262-3142  300-19.2K Baud     ]

ProLine.:penguin@gnh-igloo                          America Online: Goalie5
UUCP....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin                    MCI Mail......: MSteiger
Internet:penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com
*        It's so cold here I saw a dog frozen to a fire hydrant!              *