[comp.sys.apple2] Need Help with Recovering Files

jchoi@ics.uci.edu (John Choi) (12/07/90)

      Help.  I need to recover a bunch of files on a disk whose directory
information is corrupted.  I used Copy ][ 5.0 to recover some of the data
but there's a lot more I really, really need.  The directory is written
on track 17 which has sectors 7 and 15 damaged.  I get a disk error #8 when
ever it tries to read the directory.  I can't seem to write to these sectors
even though the disk itself is physically fine (I made a bit copy of the
original disk.)  I can read and write to other sectors using the Sector Editor
but can't write to thesee.

My Questions are :
  1.  Is there a program which will allow me to write to these damaged sectors
      or better yet, that can reconstruct the directory information?
  2.  If not, is there a program which can read the data sector by sector and
      copy that information as a file onto another disk?

The files that I need recovered are just 3k text files containing a long list
of integers.  There's about 40 of these files on the disk and I need to get
about 20 more recovered.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. I haven't
worked with an apple ][ for about 10 year; I'm trying to help out a friend
who has (had?) about 3 months worth of work on this one floppy which went bad.

Thanks.  Please email responses.  Info:  Apple ][e w/2 drives, dos 3.3, only
have Locksmith with Copy ][ + 5.0.

- John Choi
  jchoi@ics.uci.edu
  (714)856-7473

jon@pro-ice.cts.com (Jon Spatz) (12/11/90)

Try Mr. Fixit... (Comes with Prosel)
try Copy ][+ 9.1 (Little Better thwn 5.0)

If any of them are appleworks files with might need repairworks..

DONT USE BAG OF TRICKS... (That how my drive has 8 bad blocks.

 ProLine:  jon@pro-ice                  | Jon Spatz (jon)  | Do you fall
 Internet: jon@pro-ice.cts.com          | pro-ice.cts.com  | asleep on the
 UUCP:     crash!pro-ice!jon            | (215)/562-4928   | toilet while
 ARPA:     crash!pro-ice!jon@nosc.mil   | 300 to 9600 Baud | eating OREO's?

gammal@CAM.ORG (Michael Gammal) (12/23/90)

The article mentioning bad sectors....the 3 programs I suggest which will fix this.

1: Lifesaver v2.0  (an dos program but fixes tracks)
2: Dark 2.1 (or earlier)
3: Mister Fixit

Good Luck!

--
Michael Gammal		Concordia University		M.Gammal@CAM.ORG

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (01/02/91)

In <1990Dec23.031430.12572@CAM.ORG> gammal@CAM.ORG (Michael Gammal) writes:

>The article mentioning bad sectors....the 3 programs I suggest which will
>fix this.

>1: Lifesaver v2.0  (an dos program but fixes tracks)
>2: Dark 2.1 (or earlier)
>3: Mister Fixit

I seem to remember using a program called Big Bad Block Buncher (B^4),
which would put all the corrupted blocks to a file with filetype BAD.  It
was a ProDOS SYS file I believe.  Probably available via FTP somewhere,
but its been awhile.  I'm not even sure if *I* have a copy of it anymore.

   ///   ____   \\\
   | |/ /    \ \| |    greg@hoss.unl.edu
    \\_( \==/ )_//     Lig Lury Jr.
        \__\\/

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (01/02/91)

In article <1991Jan02.011638.20879@hoss.unl.edu> greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) writes:

>I seem to remember using a program called Big Bad Block Buncher (B^4),
>which would put all the corrupted blocks to a file with filetype BAD.  It
>was a ProDOS SYS file I believe.  Probably available via FTP somewhere,
>but its been awhile.  I'm not even sure if *I* have a copy of it anymore.

Seeing as how I wrote this program, I suppose I could post it to
comp.binaries :-).  I'll have to find it.  Gee, Apple hardware is so damned
reliable I NEVER use it (also, 3.5" disks are so cheap I tend to toss bad
disks at the wall as hard as I can.)

>>Good Luck!
  Luck? Who needs it!

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | Being is Mathematics
Senior/Computer Engineering | Love is Chemistry