[comp.sys.apple2] 65C02 in //e

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian WILLOUGHBY) (01/01/91)

avarg@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Abel Vargas) writes:

> I also still use an unenhanced //e. I need to know: if I buy a 65C02
>processor, will be able to just remove the old 6502 and plug the new one into
>the socket?

Yes you can, and if you would like to use a 16-bit 65C802 instead,
that will also work.  And if you have access to an EPROM burner, you
can also upgrade the firmware so that software will recognise your
upgraded CPU (at least the 65C02 will be recognized, not much //e or
II+ software will utilize a 65C802 - even though it is terribly cheap
to add 16-bit processing to these Apple ]['s).

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP

joeq@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Joe Quilici) (01/04/91)

> And if you have access to an EPROM burner, you can also upgrade the
> firmware so that software will recognize your upgraded CPU

        I know a few facts about the 65c802 processor, one of them beinng it
is pin compatible.  But, would the new, upgraded 16 bit processor speed up the
old, archaic Apple ][s?  I would figure the architecture would get in the way
of the CPU being it was designed for the 8 bit 65x02s.

----
ProLine:  joeq@pro-odyssey
Internet: joeq@pro-odyssey.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-odyssey!joeq