[comp.sys.apple2] MIPS

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (12/12/90)

Don't trust that figure. A 1 mhz 6502 is more like .3 _Native_ MIPS.
Native MIPS is how many of the machines' own instructions can be executed
in a second. This rating is a good way to rate the average number of clock
cycles an instruction takes, but as a cross-CPU performance index it is
absolutely useless. Workstations are often rated versus VAX MIPS, i.e. their
performance is compared to that of a VAX 11/780 running at (yow) 1 mhz. The
VAX had 32 bit registers, so a 6502 would quite likely do really poor in
VAX equivalent MIPS (officially VUPS, for VAX Unit Of Processing or something
like that).

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (12/13/90)

In article <1990Dec12.064925.28609@nntp-server.caltech.edu> toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
[snip]
>                    Workstations are often rated versus VAX MIPS, i.e. their
>performance is compared to that of a VAX 11/780 running at (yow) 1 mhz. The
>VAX had 32 bit registers, so a 6502 would quite likely do really poor in
>VAX equivalent MIPS (officially VUPS, for VAX Unit Of Processing or something
>like that).

If you use 16 direct page addresses, the question becomes: how many registers
are available to the VAX microcode engine?  If 6502 is nearly equivalent
to what the VAX uses internally, things would be pretty even.

I don't have my VAX tech ref with me, so I don't know; if anybody is
terribly curious, ask again in about a week, and I'll check it out.

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
..!ucbvax!cory!fadden

rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (12/13/90)

I'm not sure what you're getting at.  A VAX is a 32-bit computer.
It can do a 32-bit memory-to-memory addition with a single instruction.
I dunno how long this takes, but it is much faster than the 13 6502
instruction (average- 3 cycles each) to do the same job.
Perhaps you could clarify your comment.
*** Randy Hyde O-)

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian WILLOUGHBY) (01/03/91)

In article <10564@ucrmath.ucr.edu> rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) writes:
>I'm not sure what you're getting at.  A VAX is a 32-bit computer.
>It can do a 32-bit memory-to-memory addition with a single instruction.
>I dunno how long this takes, but it is much faster than the 13 6502
>instruction (average- 3 cycles each) to do the same job.
>Perhaps you could clarify your comment.
>*** Randy Hyde O-)

If you "dunno" how long it takes on a Vax, then how can you possibly
say it takes less time than a 6502?  If you were to actually look up
the number of cycles needed for a 32 bit memory to memory addition,
you would no doubt be surprised at how many cycles it does take.  The
65x02 has some of the lowest cycle counts for processors in its price
rance (I'm not counting pipelined, multi-register RISC chips, even
though the 6502 was one of the first processors to use pipelining).

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP

rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (01/04/91)

>>> If you "dunno" how long it take on a Vax, then how can you possibly say it
takes less time than a 6502?

Because I have used a VAX.  It is 100 times faster to me! Are  you going to
start claiming a 6502 can outrun a VAX?  Get real!  I have an LSI-11/03
(Heathkit h-11) which is faster than a 6502 @ 1Mhz.  Come on, this
response borders on true nonsense.  Do you just want to argue or do you
want to discuss possible truths around here?  Next you'll be saying my
Apple //gs is slower than my Mac IIfx!
*** Randy Hyde