[comp.sys.apple2] Is there a current 'time bomb?'

mcgu5464@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Ronald J Mcguire) (01/02/91)

Is or was there a current time bomb set for Jan 1, 1991? Suddenly today
I've had megga disk slowdown, GS/OS crashes (like *dead*), and out of
memory errors... I'm really frustrated. I haven't added anything new to
my system disk in a few weeks, but I did just get antetris, zpack, and
zlaunch. I have a *lot* of stuff installed on my Vulcan20 and no real
adaquate backups. Its still running, but crashing like the dickens! I've
never had this problem before! AAAAArgh! Help!

Rom 03
AE GS ram + w/ +1 meg on board
AE VulCAN20
and lots of stuff installed on my system disk... (5.04)

Oh, I guess I also added the new system disk 1.5 weeks ago... replaced
5.03 which I had *no* problems with.

Its dying in AWGS and in the finder. NDAs like Memopad give an out of
mem error, and file manager looses the 6 icons and comes up w/ a bunch
of question marks...

Dan

meekins@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (timothy lee meekins) (01/02/91)

In article <8624@uwm.edu> you write:
>Is or was there a current time bomb set for Jan 1, 1991? Suddenly today
>I've had megga disk slowdown, GS/OS crashes (like *dead*), and out of
>memory errors... I'm really frustrated. I haven't added anything new to
>my system disk in a few weeks, but I did just get antetris, zpack, and
>zlaunch. I have a *lot* of stuff installed on my Vulcan20 and no real
>adaquate backups. Its still running, but crashing like the dickens! I've
>never had this problem before! AAAAArgh! Help!

Well, since I wrote zpack and zlaunch, I'll guarantee they weren't the
culprit. :)

>Rom 03
>AE GS ram + w/ +1 meg on board
>AE VulCAN20
>and lots of stuff installed on my system disk... (5.04)
>
>Oh, I guess I also added the new system disk 1.5 weeks ago... replaced
>5.03 which I had *no* problems with.
>
>Its dying in AWGS and in the finder. NDAs like Memopad give an out of
>mem error, and file manager looses the 6 icons and comes up w/ a bunch
>of question marks...
>
>Dan

What you should do is install NiftyList CDA, then from NL, type '0i'.
This will give a listing of *all* the memory handles and who owns them.
This should be a start. There is also memory bar NDA floating around
somewhere that may be of help, but it will only display how much free
memory is available. Anyways, try NiftyList, if there is time-activated
virus in your system, you should be able to find it. And if you do
find one, send it to me! I'd like to take a look at it. (I'll even
write a virus killer for it).
--
+---------------------------S-U-P-P-O-R-T-----------------------------------+
|/ Tim Meekins                  <<>> Snail Mail:           <<>>  Apple II  \|

lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Raymond Lang) (01/02/91)

In <8624@uwm.edu> mcgu5464@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Ronald J Mcguire) writes:

>Is or was there a current time bomb set for Jan 1, 1991? Suddenly today
>I've had megga disk slowdown, GS/OS crashes (like *dead*), and out of
>memory errors... I'm really frustrated. I haven't added anything new to
>my system disk in a few weeks, but I did just get antetris, zpack, and
						   ^^^^^^^^

I've been playing this myself since it came across the binaries a few
weeks back. I don't think it's properly shutting down: I've found it
necessary to select "quit" from the Finder and restart after playing it.
When Antetris quits, GS/OS still thinks it's open (i.e., it won't copy
the sys file). Could be infected. The high score resets on Jan. 1.
Maybe that was a trojan horse time bomb.

Ray
lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu

mcgu5464@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Ronald J Mcguire) (01/03/91)

In article <5543@rex.cs.tulane.edu> lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Raymond Lang) writes:
>In <8624@uwm.edu> mcgu5464@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Ronald J Mcguire) writes:
>>Is or was there a current time bomb set for Jan 1, 1991? Suddenly today
>>I've had megga disk slowdown, GS/OS crashes (like *dead*), and out of
>>memory errors... I'm really frustrated. I haven't added anything new to
>>my system disk in a few weeks, but I did just get antetris, zpack, and
>						   ^^^^^^^^
>weeks back. I don't think it's properly shutting down: I've found it
>the sys file). Could be infected. The high score resets on Jan. 1.
>Maybe that was a trojan horse time bomb.

I don't think that it's antetris. I haven't played it since Dec 30. 2 days
before I had problems. I *have* had problems with the finder just freezing
and AWGS doing the same thing whenever I go to copy or print something.
I dumped my HD. Low leveled the system partition and only copied back
the newest system disk that I just got. I am slowly adding the DAs I
use and fonts, icons etc... It seems quirky. Sometimes fast/ sometimes
it slows down... Maybe its a 5.04 problem? I never had any problems
with 5.03 installed tho...

>Ray
>lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu

Dan
mcgu5464@csd4.csd.uwm.edu

mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Michael Heintz) (01/04/91)

In article <5543@rex.cs.tulane.edu> lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Raymond Lang) writes:
>In <8624@uwm.edu> mcgu5464@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Ronald J Mcguire) writes:
>
>>Is or was there a current time bomb set for Jan 1, 1991? Suddenly today
>>I've had megga disk slowdown, GS/OS crashes (like *dead*), and out of
>>memory errors... I'm really frustrated. I haven't added anything new to
>>my system disk in a few weeks, but I did just get antetris, zpack, and
>						   ^^^^^^^^
>
>I've been playing this myself since it came across the binaries a few
>weeks back. I don't think it's properly shutting down: I've found it
>necessary to select "quit" from the Finder and restart after playing it.
>When Antetris quits, GS/OS still thinks it's open (i.e., it won't copy
>the sys file). Could be infected. The high score resets on Jan. 1.
>Maybe that was a trojan horse time bomb.
>
>Ray
>lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu

I recently (like 5 days ago) got antetris and thought it was neat how
the program reset the high scores on New Year's.  However, I have
experienced no significant problems to speak of.  I got antetris off
the binaries, but I also saw it at an FTP site...where did you get
your copy???

Mike
mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu

mcgu5464@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Ronald J Mcguire) (01/05/91)

In article <4530@vela.acs.oakland.edu> mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Michael Heintz) writes:
>In article <5543@rex.cs.tulane.edu> lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Raymond Lang) writes:
>>In <8624@uwm.edu> mcgu5464@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Ronald J Mcguire) writes:
>>
>>>Is or was there a current time bomb set for Jan 1, 1991? Suddenly today

>>I've been playing this myself since it came across the binaries a few
>>weeks back. I don't think it's properly shutting down: I've found it
>>Maybe that was a trojan horse time bomb.
>>Ray
>>lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu

>I recently (like 5 days ago) got antetris and thought it was neat how
>experienced no significant problems to speak of.  I got antetris off
>the binaries, but I also saw it at an FTP site...where did you get
>your copy???

From the binaries. I no longer believe it to be a time bomb but rather 5.04
I cannot run orbizone, naxos (or most other trip/green games for that matter)
The finder keeps puking... Etc.. It's hell. Now, since others aren't having
these problems, what is wrong on my end? I had *NO* problems with 5.03.

GS rom 3
 +1 meg on AE GS Ram +
 20Meg VulCAN
 and everything else is standard. Most das like file manager wouldn't
 work so I got rid of them and have hardly anything installed. ColorInit
 and InitMaster are only Cdevs and both are V free.

Ugh.

>Mike
>mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu

Damn (ooops Dan)