[comp.sys.apple2] Toasted Hard Drive

penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) (01/04/91)

A friend of mine has a CMS harddrive on his mac and he was told by a dealer
that one of his EPROMS is toast.  Could he fix that by buying a new case (Like
Tutlin) or is it in the physical Hard Drive?

Thanks

Mark

[  Mark Steiger, Sysop, The Igloo BBS  218/262-3142  300-19.2K Baud     ]

ProLine.:penguin@gnh-igloo                          America Online: Goalie5
UUCP....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin                    MCI Mail......: MSteiger
Internet:penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com
*        It's so cold here I saw a dog frozen to a fire hydrant!              *

In article <m0irZHb-00009WC@jartel.info.com> penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) writes:
>A friend of mine has a CMS harddrive on his mac and he was told by a dealer
>that one of his EPROMS is toast.  Could he fix that by buying a new case (Like
>Tutlin) or is it in the physical Hard Drive?
>
>Thanks
>
>Mark

An EPROM is an electronic device which holds programming-- it's not in the case
or power supply, nor is it in the physical drive.  It is probably on the SCSI
controller attached to the drive.  Given another identical drive and an
EPROM burner, he could copy the EPROM from the good drive and put it in
his damaged one.