[comp.sys.apple2] Specification Language for unattended file transfers

reeder@reed.UUCP (Doug Reeder) (01/05/91)

1) Does anyone here know of an existing language (macro or otherwise)
suitable for the specification of unattended file transfers with systems
geared toward human interaction?  I am thinking of a language where one
would name the files one desired transferred and the methods of: logging in,
telling the remote system to start a YMODEM (for example) transfer, and so
on.

2) Failing that, what are your suggestions for the form of such a language?
And also, what algorithms would you suggest a program use to carry out such
unattended file transfers?

Doug Reeder                                   USENET: ...!tektronix!reed!reeder
from ARPA: tektronix!reed!reeder@berkeley.EDU BITNET: reeder@reed.BITNET
Romulan Commander: Prepare to be destroyed, Enterprise!
Counselor Troi: I sense hostility, captain.
--

throoph@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (01/06/91)

reeder@reed.UUCP (Doug Reeder) writes:

>1) Does anyone here know of an existing language (macro or otherwise)
>suitable for the specification of unattended file transfers with systems
>geared toward human interaction?  I am thinking of a language where one
>would name the files one desired transferred and the methods of: logging in,
>telling the remote system to start a YMODEM (for example) transfer, and so
>on.

Have you looked at AE's ReadyLink?  It has a full-blown Pascal-like
programming language built in.  This is not just a weekend hack;
this is powerful stuff.  One of the programs included is a bulletin
board system that does what you want.

Unfortunately, it's also riddled with bugs.  I'm using it right now
(because my RamKeeper keeps forgetting everything - anyone know why?),
and in vi random lines above the cursorget erased when I scroll or move around.
The language also had some problems; I think they were mainly due to
timing; ie dropping chars, duplicate chars, etc.  However, this was
a year ago that I looked at it, and I would hope that it's been
improved since then.

>Doug Reeder                                   USENET: ...!tektronix!reed!reeder
Henry

--
---
Henry Throop