[comp.sys.apple2] NuLib

cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) (03/20/90)

In article <23210@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Andy McFadden) writes:
>In article <1238@batman.moravian.EDU> nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) writes:
>>Well, at long last, I can FINALLY announce the release date for ShrinkIt 3.0:
>>

>This brings up some interesting problems.
>
>NuLib as distributed does not handle some minor changes to the NuFX format.
>In fact, due to a slight misunderstanding on my part, it doesn't handle
>GS/ShrinkIt archives which follow the original NuFX format.

Doesn't handle disk archives too hot either. <core dump> :)

>NuLib v2.2 fixes the misunderstanding, but I haven't updated it to handle
>some new stuff with filenames (which turns out to be a very fatal problem,
>due to some weird design decisions on my part).
(god, I hate it when that happens.)

>While I'd like to distribute an update, I'm a little nervous about it right
>now after the flak over NuPak.  I sent a letter to Mr. Thompson on Thursday
>night, but haven't received a response yet.

Speaking of NuPak, the version I pulled off of GEnie last night sure as
heck doesn't work on Stuffit archives.  UNLESS he hard coded the selection
routine so it only works with AppleShare volumes.  Even that doesn't make
sense, because there isn't a HFS FST yet. (will there?)  I mean, what about
us folks that find, uh, ways of transfering Stuffit archives over to Prodos
disks.  Ah, well, ShrinkitGS to the rescue!  >:->

>fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
>...!ucbvax!cory!fadden

--Chan
    Chan Wilson -- cwilson@nisc.sri.com <!> I don't speak for SRI.
Janitor/Architect of comp.binaries.apple2 archive on wuarchive.wustl.edu
  "And now, the penguin on top of the television set will explode."

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (03/20/90)

> Speaking of NuPak, the version I pulled off of GEnie last night sure as
> heck doesn't work on Stuffit archives.  UNLESS he hard coded the selection
> routine so it only works with AppleShare volumes.  Even that doesn't make
> sense, because there isn't a HFS FST yet. (will there?)  I mean, what about
> us folks that find, uh, ways of transfering Stuffit archives over to Prodos
> disks.  Ah, well, ShrinkitGS to the rescue!  >:->

NuPak doesn't recognize stuffit files without the macbinary II header
or without the 32byte header that America Online tacks onto the file when
you download it.  In other words, it doesnt recognize a "straight" stuffit
file. (gsshk does).  NuPak also gags when unpacking certain stuffit files...
I spent a whole weekend making sure that gs/shrinkit doesn't.

andy

--

Yeah!

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (09/22/90)

In article <0093CFC2662E93C0.00000110@dcs.simpact.com> penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) writes:
>could someone post NuLib to the Comp.binaries.apple2?

NuLib is 200-250K of C source code.  It is not posted lightly. 8=|

I was planning to put some finishing touches on v3.00 this afternoon, but
the OCF network got disconnected while I was editing a file.  Hopefully it'll
be back soon...

At any rate, when I finish the beta version I'm going to sit on it for about
a week (anybody willing to ftp the thing from [avalanche|headcrash|tornado]
.berkeley.edu is welcome to test it; it'll be nulib300B.tar.Z).  Hopefully
I'll post it to comp.SOURCES.apple2 next weekend.

If you need a copy right this very minute, I can e-mail you one.

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
..!ucbvax!cory!fadden

penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) (09/25/90)

I was wondering if you could send me a BINSCII'ed compiled copy of it when it
is completed?  Unfortunately, i don't have a C compile.  I just have a pascal
compiler.  :(

Thanks

Mark

     [ Mark Steiger, Sysop, The Igloo  218/262-3142     300/1200/2400 baud]

ProLine.:penguin@gnh-igloo                          America Online: Goalie5
UUCP....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin                    MCI Mail......: MSteiger
Internet:penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com
ARPA....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin@nosc.mil

acct069@carroll1.cc.edu (Ron) (12/17/90)

I would like to install the latest version of NuLib on my system here and
am wondering where I can get it from and if there are any docs with it
telling me how to install and compile it on my system (UNIX System V
Release 3.2.1 AT&T 3B2).

Thanks in advance!
--
This is my ".sig" file.  (I can tell, you're excited now....)
Ron

acct069@carroll1.cc.edu (Ron) (01/06/91)

I am looking for help in installing NuLib on my system, I've gotten all
the files, but am having trouble getting it to compile.  I'm running on a
"UNIX System V Release 3.2.1 AT&T 3B2".  I've talked with Andy McFadden
about it and he said that he can't help me out because he doesn't have
access to a machine similar to this one.

So, if anyone out there has gotten NuLib to run on a "3B2" machine, please
send E-Mail describing how to do it.

Many thanks in advance!