[comp.sys.apple2] GS/OS available from apple.com!

curfmanm@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Matthew Curfman) (12/25/90)

Good News!

GS/OS 5.0.4 is available through FTP on apple.com in the
/pub/dts/aii/sys-soft directory.  Its good to see
apple finaly putting some II software on their server.

Matt Curfman                                                  Technovelty. Inc.
curfmanm@prism.cs.orst.edu                              Oregon State University

     OSU says what it says. I say what I say. We don't say the same thing.

In article <1990Dec25.012258.17155@usenet@scion.CS.ORST.EDU> curfmanm@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Matthew Curfman) writes:

>Good News!
>
>GS/OS 5.0.4 is available through FTP on apple.com in the
>/pub/dts/aii/sys-soft directory.  Its good to see
>apple finaly putting some II software on their server.

	Cool! (couldn't figure out how to spell "halleluja".. I don't
think that's right)

	I still think I might whine about my local Apple dealer not
having System 5.03 yet.. (whining to the 800 #)
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. /

In article <10379@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>In article <1990Dec25.012258.17155@usenet@scion.CS.ORST.EDU> curfmanm@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Matthew Curfman) writes:
>>Good News!
>>GS/OS 5.0.4 is available through FTP on apple.com in the
>>/pub/dts/aii/sys-soft directory.  Its good to see
>>apple finaly putting some II software on their server.
>	Cool!

	Yes I realize I'm replying to my own message.

	I dunno... Why do they manage to do something HALF right? It's
better than nothing, but still.

	I have a UNIX program called "mcvert" that will unpack .hqx files,
but not everyone has that.. Not everyone has UNIX for that matter (and
we know some people can use ftp through the mail.. I think that's usually
non-UNIX people)

	Maybe they'll fix it if someone unpacks it and uploads a ShrinkIt
archive of the disk?
--

max@lgc.lgc.com (12/25/90)

In article <1990Dec25.012258.17155@usenet@scion.CS.ORST.EDU> curfmanm@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Matthew Curfman) writes:
>GS/OS 5.0.4 is available through FTP on apple.com in the
>/pub/dts/aii/sys-soft directory.  Its good to see
>apple finaly putting some II software on their server.

could somebody post some code for coverting the binhex .hqx files from either
Unix or for the GS.  Thanx...
--
Max Heffler			internet: max@lgc.com
Landmark Graphics Corp.		uucp: ..!uunet!lgc!max

In article <1990Dec25.035127.9962@lgc.com> max@lgc.lgc.com writes:
>In article <1990Dec25.012258.17155@usenet@scion.CS.ORST.EDU> curfmanm@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Matthew Curfman) writes:
>>GS/OS 5.0.4 is available through FTP on apple.com in the
>>/pub/dts/aii/sys-soft directory.  Its good to see
>>apple finaly putting some II software on their server.
>
>could somebody post some code for coverting the binhex .hqx files from either
>Unix or for the GS.  Thanx...

	I posted it to comp.binaries.apple2 so people don't bombard me
with requests.

--

benji@euler.Berkeley.EDU (Benji Rudiak-Gould) (12/25/90)

In article <10385@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>In article <1990Dec25.035127.9962@lgc.com> max@lgc.lgc.com writes:

>>could somebody post some code for coverting the binhex .hqx files from either
>>Unix or for the GS.  Thanx...

>	I posted it to comp.binaries.apple2 so people don't bombard me
>with requests.

OK... so I ftp'd the system disk, mcverted it, and got a .sit.bin file.
I knew that ShrinkIt would unpack that kind of file, so I downloaded it
(took 45 min.) and opened it in GShk.  I click "Extract," and it prompts
me, "put file(s) where?"  Apparently it doesn't recognize the StuffIt
"dImg" format.  AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!  What does Apple think, that
we all have Macintoshi to unpack our Apple IIGS software?  Of course they
wouldn't THINK of using a lowly IIGS to pack the disk.  They probably haven't
even heard of ShrinkIt.

Anyway... does anybody have a solution to this?  Preferably one that
doesn't involve re-downloading the file?  I'm sure there will be lots of
messages like this one, but I'm just playing it safe.

--                       \\
Benji Rudiak-Gould       //  " stand  take    2    taking "
benji@euler.berkeley.edu \\    -----  ----  -----  ------
///////////////////////////      I     U    throw    my

penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) (12/26/90)

Yea.... Could someone DL it and unpack it and re-pack it with shrinkit????  I'd
really appreciate it. :)

Mark

[ Mark Steiger, Sysop, The Igloo 218/262-3142  300/1200/2400/9600 (HST/Dual)]

ProLine.:penguin@gnh-igloo                          America Online: Goalie5
UUCP....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin                    MCI Mail......: MSteiger
Internet:penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (12/26/90)

I'm pretty sure Apple knows what Shrinkit is, they hired Andy Nicholas after
all. And I don't think that it was because he had a pocket protector (or not).

Personally, I think the 'put files where' is a valid question, only an idiot
would unshrink a System Disk to his system folder, God knows what could happen
with mixing system files. Unshrink the thing to a separate disk and try it
out. Then get back to me with any incompatibilities, I would rather you trash
your HD on problems, than me trashing mine.  :)

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

DELANEYG@WP31.WNRE.AECL.CA (Greeting from the Far Country) (12/26/90)

>I'm pretty sure Apple knows what Shrinkit is, they hired Andy Nicholas after>

Gee I've never seen Andy with a pocket protector

>Personally, I think the 'put files where' is a valid question, only an idiot
>would unshrink a System Disk to his system folder,

This problem wouldn't occur anyway if the whole disk was archived as a disk
archive.  Apple has solved this problem and any chance of most gs owners getting
it anyway.  MAC and apple's diskcopy program to extract the disks anyway. If
what I've seen so far is correct I'll know more in a few hours when I get them
onto a MAC at work.

aa404@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Chris Roberts) (12/27/90)

>OK... so I ftp'd the system disk, mcverted it, and got a .sit.bin file.
>I knew that ShrinkIt would unpack that kind of file, so I downloaded it
>(took 45 min.) and opened it in GShk.  I click "Extract," and it prompts
>me, "put file(s) where?"  Apparently it doesn't recognize the StuffIt
>"dImg" format.  AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!  What does Apple think, that
>we all have Macintoshi to unpack our Apple IIGS software?  Of course they
>wouldn't THINK of using a lowly IIGS to pack the disk.  They probably haven't
>even heard of ShrinkIt.

Also, could somone send me a copy of mcvert in a form that is usable, or post
the system disk in some other usable form (if this isn't illegal).  I cannot
UUDECODE..  and, no, I don't have the correct software to run the shell program
so don't send it to me, I need the bootable UUDECODE, that no one seems to
be able to get a clean copy of.

Anyone???

Please help!

--
Apple II forever!				Chris Roberts
Channel 4 WCFT-TV				Apple II SIG Sysop

benji@euler.Berkeley.EDU (Benji Rudiak-Gould) (12/27/90)

In article <9936@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> I write:

>OK... so I ftp'd the system disk, mcverted it, and got a .sit.bin file.
>I knew that ShrinkIt would unpack that kind of file, so I downloaded it
>(took 45 min.) and opened it in GShk.  I click "Extract," and it prompts
>me, "put file(s) where?"  Apparently it doesn't recognize the StuffIt
>"dImg" format.

Since I wrote this, several people have posted or Emailed saying that they
don't understand the problem -- ShrinkIt is asking me where I want to put the
system disk.  Unfortunately, the disk is archived in dImg, or disk image,
format.  When I unpack it, I get an 800K file which contains the _image_
of the System Disk, not the disk itself.  If ShrinkIt recognized dImg
format, it would prompt me with "Select device to unpack to" or whatever.
Todd P. Whitesel is currently working on the problem.  Hopefully his recent
posting cleared things up.  Thanks Todd, what would we do without you!

--                       \\
Benji Rudiak-Gould       //  " stand  take    2    taking "
benji@euler.berkeley.edu \\    -----  ----  -----  ------
///////////////////////////      I     U    throw    my

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (12/27/90)

In article <10380@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
[lamenting 5.0.4 in .hqx format]
>	I have a UNIX program called "mcvert" that will unpack .hqx files,
>but not everyone has that.. Not everyone has UNIX for that matter (and
>we know some people can use ftp through the mail.. I think that's usually
>non-UNIX people)
>
>	Maybe they'll fix it if someone unpacks it and uploads a ShrinkIt
>archive of the disk?

  Although it's not been officially announced by Derek, GScii+ has support
for .hqx files (whatever the mac binscii type program is). As soon as he
returns for the Great New Year's Bash '91, I'll mention to him that there
is now great need for his program, and that his partying privs will be
removed until he releases GScii+.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | Being is Mathematics
Senior/Computer Engineering | Love is Chemistry

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (12/28/90)

benji@euler.Berkeley.EDU (Benji Rudiak-Gould) writes:

>OK... so I ftp'd the system disk, mcverted it, and got a .sit.bin file.
>I knew that ShrinkIt would unpack that kind of file, so I downloaded it
>(took 45 min.) and opened it in GShk.  I click "Extract," and it prompts
>me, "put file(s) where?"  Apparently it doesn't recognize the StuffIt
>"dImg" format.

To make sure there's nobody left confused here, "dImg" is not a StuffIt format.
dImg is a Macintosh filetype (Mac filetypes are 4 bytes long and are usually
expressed in ascii) indicating an Apple DiskCopy document, which is the file
containing the disk image. Gshk is asking you where to put the disk image file,
and it will save it as an extended (data/resource) file with a prodos filetype
of binary.

I am currently adding the GS/OS device level code to diskcopy (which is written
entirely in ORCA/C with occasional asm{} statements for speed, BTW) and will
have a beta-quality version ready TODAY, for immediate posting on comp.binaries
so watch for it.

MERRY CHRISTMAS APPLE

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (01/06/91)

Not everyone has Unix????????  What IS this world coming to????