[comp.sys.apple2] Two GS/OS questions

benji@euler.Berkeley.EDU (Benji Rudiak-Gould) (12/27/90)

Two GS/OS questions:

1) The latest versions of GS/OS allow uppercase and lowercase filenames, but
   older operating systems still see the filenames as all uppercase.  Where is
   the UC/LC information stored?

2) How can a modem be accessed through GS/OS?  (I think there may have been a
   discussion about this recently that I missed; if so, I'm sorry about the
   waste of bandwidth)

Thanks in advance.

                         \\  I think, therefore I am.     |___|___|___|___|___|
Benji Rudiak-Gould       //  I am, therefore I think.     |_|___|___|___|___|_|
benji@euler.berkeley.edu \\  Therefore, I think I am.     |___|___|___|___|___|
///////////////////////////  Therefore I am -- I think... |_|___|___|___|___|_|

jeffw@pro-gateway.cts.com (Jeff Woods) (12/29/90)

> The latest versions of GS/OS allow uppercase and lowercase filenames, but
> older operating systems still see the filenames as all uppercase.  Where
> is the UC/LC information stored?

The case of the letters in the filename are stored in what used to be the
version and min-version fields of the file entry.  Now that we finally have a
change to the ProDOS file system and can use the version & min-version field,
we don't have it anymore!  How's that for handy and planning ahead?!?!

|  ProLine: jeffw@pro-gateway
| Internet: jeffw@pro-gateway.cts.com
|     UUCP: crash!pro-gateway!jeffw
|     ARPA: crash!pro-gateway!jeffw@nosc.mil
|   BITNET: jeffw%pro-gateway.cts.com@nosc.mil
+---------------------------------------------------->Pro-Gateway 214/644-5113

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (01/06/91)

Not to be a prick about this, but I think you should really RUN (don't walk)
to apple.com really fast and download ALL the IIgs technotes.  I did, and they
take up about 680k all together.  You'll find a real wealth of information.
Make sure you get the ones for:  IIgs, GS/OS, Apple 3.5, and I think there
was another bunch I got also.

Well, just to half-answer your question, the words for version and min-
version are used to store the Upper/Lower case information -- it's all bit-
encoded.

- Andrew.  (aabenson@balance.cs.mtu.edu)