[comp.sys.apple2] How much sound RAM?

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (12/15/90)

Well, the ROM 01 GS's have 64k of DOC (digital oscillator chip) RAM.  The
Amigas DO have quite a bit more... I'm not sure how much, but I know it's
alot.  I think a friend of mine has a meg of sound RAM in his.  Oh, by
the way, with ROM 03, you have 128k or DOC RAM.

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (12/16/90)

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET writes:

>Well, the ROM 01 GS's have 64k of DOC (digital oscillator chip) RAM.  The
>Amigas DO have quite a bit more... I'm not sure how much, but I know it's
>alot.  I think a friend of mine has a meg of sound RAM in his.  Oh, by
>the way, with ROM 03, you have 128k or DOC RAM.

As somebody already said, the Amiga's sound and video come from a set of
memory labelled 'chip RAM' which varies from 512K to two megs depending on
which model you have. This approach had advantages and disadvantages compared
to the dedicated DOC and Mega2/VGC sets of RAM on the GS motherboard.

ROM 03 has 64K of DOC RAM, sorry. This was a false rumor back when the 03
was first coming out.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian WILLOUGHBY) (12/29/90)

In article <90348.152032AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET> AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET writes:
>Well, the ROM 01 GS's have 64k of DOC (digital oscillator chip) RAM.  The
>Amigas DO have quite a bit more... I'm not sure how much, but I know it's
>alot.  I think a friend of mine has a meg of sound RAM in his.  Oh, by
>the way, with ROM 03, you have 128k or DOC RAM.

This is basically a curiousity question, but I thought that the new
GS still only had 64K DOC RAM.  I seem to remember that everyone who
cared about such things was extremely disappointed that Apple Co. did
not improve the GS in this area.

Could someone cite a reference as to the true size of DOC RAM in the
ROM 03 GS?  Isn't there a new hardware reference for the ROM 03?

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (12/29/90)

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian WILLOUGHBY) writes:

>Could someone cite a reference as to the true size of DOC RAM in the
>ROM 03 GS?  Isn't there a new hardware reference for the ROM 03?

There is. The correct figure is 64K.

The Amiga requires sound data to be in a dedicated area of memory (chip ram)
which it shares with video and other I/O data. That is why the Amiga is limited
to four high-quality voices and the DOC can do up to 32.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (01/06/91)

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooopppppppppppppppppppsssssssssss!!!!!!

Okay, the new IIgs's ALSO only have 64k of DOC RAM.  So I was wrong, who
cares!   (There's got to be a first time for everything, right?)  :-)