[comp.sys.apple2] Sys disk at apple.com

ez001793@dino.ucdavis.edu (12/25/90)

I heard that the new sys disk (5.04) was at apple.com so I checked.  Turns out
that the people put it in .hqx format, which is BinHex.  On the offchance they
merely named it wrong, I ftp'd it, and took a look, and the header clearly
states this file must be done with binhex 4.0

This being the case, I have some questions:

1] Is there Binhex for teh AppleII GS?
2] Is there Binhex for Unix?
3] Why did they use Binhex and not ShrinkIt, which they (Apple) themselves
   have right there in one of their directories.  Which reminds me, the
   shrinkit at apple.com, I think, is version 2.1, since the file says
   shirnkit2.1.  Who ever is in charge of apple.com, maybe an update
    to 3.03 would be appropriate, along with GsShrinkIt.
4] Does this mean ftp.apple.com is still not set up?
5] For those of us who do not have ftp-access (I do though) would it be
   illegal for me to get sys504 from the ftp site, and email it to them
   (yeah...it's large, but that's not the point right now)
6] I assume it is illegal to put up sys504 on comp.binaries.apple2, even
   though it is on an ftp site.
7] Will any other ftp site carry the sys disk?

I took the two text files (release notes.)  Sounds nice - be nice if I
understod more of what's there though (I am not a programmer, I'm a user).

Paul Hirose
pthirose@ucdavis.edu

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (12/27/90)

In article <9756@aggie.ucdavis.edu> pthirose@ucdavis.edu (Paul Hirose) writes:

[stuff re 5.0.4 being in binhex format on Apple.Com,etc...]

It's not enough to deal with the binhexed file. You then have to unshrink
it AND there is one further step, of which I am not aware. The 2 files you
end up with are in some strange format. There is therefore one further step.
Having binhex, unsit,...isn't enough.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto

EWINGRA@CTRVX1.VANDERBILT.EDU ("IN%"INFO-APPLE@APPLE.COM" 19-DE") (12/27/90)

Regarding System 5.0.4 in Binhex 4.0 format on apple.com:

Obviously, whatever nice soul put the release on the Apple Vax did it
from a Mac and goofed since Apple II users don't use Binhex.  A polite
request to apple.com might get a change, otherwise, find a friend
with a Mac, use Apple File Exchange to get the file over, use Stuffit
or Binhex 4 to decode the file, and then reconvert it.  Since I'll
be downloading with a Mac, this isn't an issue for me, but for those
of you who aren't, the problem isn't insurmountable.  Binhex 4 is a
completely 7 bit ASCII format, used by our sister Info-Mac community
to transmit Mac files around the Internet without fracture.  Its
alot like Binscii.

--Rick Ewing
  Vanderbilt University

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (01/06/91)

Alright!  Enough!  Whoever's been saying to find a friend with a Mac and all
that stuff, just to get a IIgs system disk, should suggest a different idea.
Maybe it would be a good idea if we all just emailed somebody at Apple, and
requested (in a very nice, well-manered way, of course) that they put it up
again, but in ShrinkIt format!  :-)

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (01/07/91)

In article <91005.221621AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET> AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET writes:
>Maybe it would be a good idea if we all just emailed somebody at Apple, and
>requested (in a very nice, well-manered way, of course) that they put it up
>again, but in ShrinkIt format!  :-)

Too late, I already did (last week). Talked to Mark Johnson (the ftp
site manager) and asked why oh why were the system disks posted in
that format. He said he wanted them available ASAP, and would repost
them in a more friendly format when he had time. Please remember that
he does this on his own time, so don't crawl down his back if he can't
find the time before 10am today...

--
Dave Whitney
Computer Science MIT 1990	| I wrote Z-Link and BinSCII. Send me bug