[comp.sys.apple2] compete?

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (12/20/90)

>Apple is making the smart move, even though a lot of people may not agree
>with it. The IIgs and IIs cannot compete in todays world, and Apple fears
>that if they don't get some high-powered equipment into the schools now,
>schools will start purchasing IBMs. (Ohhhhh nooooo!!!!)
>

>BTW what are the current prices for IIgs's, anyway?
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Ryan 'Gozar' Collins ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What would it take to make the GS competitive? Standard clone fare these days
is 12-16MHz, 1-2Meg memory, 640x480 16 colour VGA (usually the 320x200 mode is
used for games though), 40 Meg HD. Most CPUs are 16 or 32/16 bit processors.

The GS ships with the memory and the HD is available. Raw clock speed does not
ship, but 9.8MHz accelerators are available. Graphics are a sore spot as there
is no standard way to get 640x400 and those methods available are expensive
and largely unsupported by software.

Now, what is the solution to the problem? Ditch you hardware and your software
and go clone Mac? Hmm... seems like a brute force method to me. Perhaps a more
elegant solution would be to improve the base hardware. Is this impossible?
Hardly!

Apple can easily improve motherboard speed to 8+ MHz, even with 1MHz I/O it is
very close to 12MHz AT's. 640x400 has already been demonstrated, just provide
Quickdraw II support for the mode. Breaking video out of Banke $E0 might be
neccessary though because of fixed memory requirements. Including the DMA SCSI
card gives HD perfornace better than or only slightly as responsive as DOS
boxes, and with greater flexibility.                 ^^^less

Who controls the enhancements? Apple. And Apple doesn't care about making the
Apple II competitive. Only getting whatever profit it can from whoever is
willing to spend the money for it. And this is becoming fewer and fewer as
time goes by. The software support is fine, but a little hardware support
would go a long way towards the future.

Prices for a GS? $2100  without 640x400 graphics.
Price for a 'name' DOS box, say PS/2 30/286, is about the same. Sans sound
board but with mouse and VGA graphics.

For an extra $300 you get an accelerator for the GS to bring it up to
equivalent performance.

I do not feel that I have to apologize for buying a GS, nor do I feel any
pressing need to get a Mac. I can also reccommend that anyone looking for a
home computer get a GS, unless they require DOS compatibility or are on a
tight budget and are competent enough to get by with a cheap clone. For
general purpose home/education The Apple II is a good choice and is definitely
not a pox on computerdom as some would have us believe.

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (01/08/91)

In article <304@generic.UUCP> ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) writes:
>What would it take to make the GS competitive? Standard clone fare these days
>is 12-16MHz, 1-2Meg memory, 640x480 16 colour VGA (usually the 320x200 mode is
>used for games though), 40 Meg HD. Most CPUs are 16 or 32/16 bit processors.

Having spent the last few weeks using an IBM PC clone, I'm now in a position
to compare the IIGS with it:

IBM PC clone specs:  33MHz, 80386, AST VGA Wonder with NEC 3D multisync color
monitor, IDE hard disk as well as one each of the two sizes of high-density
floppy drives, 8MB RAM, MS-DOS 3.3 plus Windows 3.0, Sound Blaster, 3-button
serial mouse, HP LaserJest IIP laser printer on parallel port.

My IIGS specs: 6.25MHz, 65816, RGB color monitor, SCSI hard disk as well as
two each of the two sizes of low-density floppy drives, 8MB RAM, System Disk
5.0.3 plus ORCA, SuperSonic, one-button mouse, Imagewriter II.

The IBM PC was more expensive than the IIGS, although peripherals for it are
generally less expensive, so for a "fully equipped" home installation the
overall prices are comparable.

The PC was noticeably faster, no surprise there, and had significantly better
screen resolution, but in almost every other way the two systems were
comparable.  The PC OSes were kludgier, although Windows was implemented
rather well considering that it still had to support MS-DOS.  The one
dramatic difference between the systems was that I could find scarcely ANY
IIGS software in Houston-area stores, while there was a surfeit of IBM PC
software available.

From this experience I would say that the main things the IIGS would need
to be even semi-competitive in the HOME COMPUTING market are:

1.  Vendor support, to the extent that the commercial software industry
would eventually come on board.

2.  At least 640x400 resolution, preferably with more bits per pixel.

3.  Perhaps, somewhat more processor speed.  (Certainly at least 6.25MHz.)

I think Apple has utterly blown point #1 and probably can't recover.