[comp.sys.apple2] DOOFBALL/Tybalt

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (01/05/91)

If 5.0.4 is readily available to anyone who can ftp to apple.com I don't
understand how it can possibly be "illegal" to post them someplace else
in a more useful form where exactly the same set of people (no more, no
less) can get at them.

vw3@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vernon Williams) (01/06/91)

In article <910105055110.049188@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL> TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL writes:
>If 5.0.4 is readily available to anyone who can ftp to apple.com I don't
>understand how it can possibly be "illegal" to post them someplace else
>in a more useful form where exactly the same set of people (no more, no
>less) can get at them.

It is illegal because Apple owns the operating system and they control
it's distribution. To do what you suggest the site with the copy of the
system software would merely need permission from Apple to distribute it.

While it was somewhat goofy for Apple to post Apple II system software in
a format that Apple II users could not (until recently) use, I do respect them
wanting to have a certain amount of control over how it gets to users. It's a
major thing for them to have it available in the way they have at all. After
all, when was the last time you saw MS-DOS or Windows posted on an FTP site,
or available for free at your local IBM dealer?
+---------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+
|Vernon L. Williams         | Electronic Mail:    vw3@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu  |
|Thomas J. Watson Library   | Campus Mail:        130 Uris Hall               |
|Columbia University        | Phone Mail:         212-854-6798                |

george@flight.UUCP (George Rachor ) (01/08/91)

> all, when was the last time you saw MS-DOS or Windows posted on an FTP site,
> or available for free at your local IBM dealer?

And when was the last time your local apple dealer had the current Apple ][gs
software in stock?

I tried ftp'ing the images and even with the use of a mac I couldn't get the
gsos disks made properly.  Don't get me wrong.  Thanks Mark for getting the
images available to us at all.  I just wish I could unpack them even with a
Mac!

--
George Rachor Jr.
Intel Corporation

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (01/08/91)

In article <331@flight.UUCP> george@flight.UUCP (George Rachor ) writes:
>And when was the last time your local apple dealer had the current Apple ][gs
>software in stock?

The last time I tried. In fact, Tech Computer Store (in the Cambridge,
MA area) has been quite reliable recently. About 2 years ago, they had
no idea what an Apple // was, but when I jumped on them for sys disk
5.0, the woman said "We'll have it in 2 days." Which she did. I just
walked in and traded 2 blanks for the 2 disks.

If your dealer sucks, then let Apple know.

--
Dave Whitney
Computer Science MIT 1990	| I wrote Z-Link and BinSCII. Send me bug