[net.space] Carl Sagan as a shuttle passenger

AMSLER@SRI-AI.ARPA@sri-unix.UUCP (06/04/83)

From:  Robert Amsler <AMSLER@SRI-AI.ARPA>

I think the person selected should be someone who has a proven
track record of producing scientific information for the masses.
Asimov would be a second, maybe some of the press science reporters
such as Walter Sullivan. Arthur C. Clarke?
-------

cng@burdvax.UUCP (06/06/83)

~r m02

spaf@gatech.UUCP (06/09/83)

...maybe we could have Carl Sagan as shuttle cargo?  I mean,
a "getaway special" should be cheap enough if we all contribute.
I just put my $.02 in.
--
"The soapbox of Gene Spafford"

Spaf @ GATech		        (CS Net)
Spaf.GATech @ UDel-Relay        (ARPA)		 School of ICS
...!{sb1, allegra}!gatech!spaf  (uucp)      	 Georgia Tech
...!duke!mcnc!msdc!gatech!spaf                   Atlanta, GA 30332

waltie@tekid.UUCP (06/10/83)

No!!  No!!  I think they meant to have Carl Sagan as FUEL for the shuttle!

                             yours truly,
                                         waltie
uucp:	{ucbvax,decvax,chico,pur-ee,cbosg,ihnss}!teklabs!tekid!waltie

caf@cdi.UUCP (06/14/83)

But only from a Star Wars movie do we learn about sound travel and
fireballs in vacuum!

The best aspect of COSMOS (to my way of thinking) IS the dramatization;
I especially enjoyed the primordial organic molecule generation sequence
done to the tune of a Mahler symphony.
--

	Chuck Forsberg, Chief Engr, Computer Development Inc.
	6700 S. W. 105th, Beaverton OR 97005   (503) 646-1599

wa146@sdcattb.UUCP (06/17/83)

	That's a *great* idea!!  The space shuttle could use
Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clark as fuel also.

REM%MIT-MC@sri-unix.UUCP (06/20/83)

From:  Robert Elton Maas <REM @ MIT-MC>

    Date: 17 Jun 83 16:31:43-PDT (Fri)
    From: harpo!floyd!cmcl2!philabs!sdcsvax!sdcattb!wa146 @ Ucb-Vax
    	That's a *great* idea!!  The space shuttle could use
    Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clark as fuel also.
I think this whole set of message from you and others suggesting
presently-living human beings be used as fuel, is really sick.
Please cease that.
There are other more humane and intelligent ways to say you think
sending a particular person to space will be counter-productive, and to
explain why you think so.
Please do that instead.