[comp.sys.apple2] resolution

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (12/14/90)

>Oh wow...you have colorful, but still low resolution. No way you slice it,
>you cannot compare a 320x200 to a 640x480 screen; you can whine all you want
>about colors. When I said CGA-level, I didn't mean that the GS had CGA, but
>CGA-equivalent resolution. RESOLUTION, GOT IT!!!!!!! NOT FREAKING COLORS!!!!!

>|  MARK A. ORR                   |   "Sure eagles may soar,

VGA has a 320x 200 resolution (with 256 colours no less!). Since we have
decided that colours have no bearing at all on resolution, we can honestly and
absolutely correctly state that the GS includes VGA resolution. In addition it
is on the motherboard and there is no need whatsoever to buy an add-on card to
display it.

BTW, i saw a demo of 640x480x16 colours. The pictures were identical to the
3200 pics on this board. The number of colours made the perceived resolution
much higher. And it is much easier to animate.

VGA resolution and killer Sound!!! God I love my advanced Apple II !!!!! State
of the Art and 12 Year Old technology to boot. Wow, am I happy with my
system.

Eric McGillcuddy

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (01/08/91)

In article <266@generic.UUCP> ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) writes:
>VGA has a 320x 200 resolution (with 256 colours no less!).

Wrong.  I just got through using a state-of-the-art PC/AT clone these past
few weeks, and IBM VGA is around 640x480 (exact details fuzzy since I was
using one of the "extended" VGA cards that supported up to 1024x860).

The (standard) VGA version of King's Quest V, for example, has superior
graphic images to any I've seen on the IIGS, and when you consider that
Sierra's animation (as opposed to background scenery) resolution is kept
down to EGA levels even in their VGA games, the difference was even more
striking.  I have a large collection of 640x480x256 GIF images that I
can view on expensive frame buffers, and at that resolution the images
really are far better than ANY I have ever seen on my IIGS.

ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/08/91)

In article <14771@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <266@generic.UUCP> ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) writes:
>>VGA has a 320x 200 resolution (with 256 colours no less!).
      ^^^^^

>Wrong.  I just got through using a state-of-the-art PC/AT clone these past
>few weeks, and IBM VGA is around 640x480 (exact details fuzzy since I was
>using one of the "extended" VGA cards that supported up to 1024x860).

Wrong yourself. VGA does have a 320x200x256 mode. True, it does have a 640x480
mode, but Eric never said that it didn't...

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu        |     "My ganglion is stuck in

jerry@polygen.uucp (Jerry Sheckel) (01/10/91)

In article <14771@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:

>>VGA has a 320x 200 resolution (with 256 colours no less!).
>
>Wrong.  I just got through using a state-of-the-art PC/AT clone these past
>few weeks, and IBM VGA is around 640x480 (exact details fuzzy since I was
>using one of the "extended" VGA cards that supported up to 1024x860).

Obviously, VGA supports many resolutions.  In standard VGA, the only new
modes (over EGA) are 640x480x16, and 320x200x256 (and maybe a few new text
modes).  The big difference is that the color selection is 256K colors,
instead of the 64 that EGA provided.  Extended VGA cards (pretty much every
card you can buy today) support 800x600 in 16 and 256 colors, and the newest
ones support 1024x768x256.

>The (standard) VGA version of King's Quest V, for example, has superior
>graphic images to any I've seen on the IIGS, and when you consider that
>Sierra's animation (as opposed to background scenery) resolution is kept
>down to EGA levels even in their VGA games, the difference was even more
>striking.

Yep, KQ5 has absolutely superior graphics.  There's something DIFFERENT
about the images.  I think that instead of using a paint program, the
artists actually painted the images, and the results were digitized into
the game.  Stunning.
--
+-------------------+----------------------+---------------------------------+
| JERRY J. SHEKHEL  | POLYGEN CORPORATION  | When I was young, I had to walk |

sysadmin@pnet91.cts.com (Matthew Montano) (01/11/91)

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <266@generic.UUCP> ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) writes:
>>VGA has a 320x 200 resolution (with 256 colours no less!).
>
>Wrong.  I just got through using a state-of-the-art PC/AT clone these past
>few weeks, and IBM VGA is around 640x480 (exact details fuzzy since I was
>using one of the "extended" VGA cards that supported up to 1024x860).
>
>The (standard) VGA version of King's Quest V, for example, has superior
>graphic images to any I've seen on the IIGS, and when you consider that

VGA actually has several different resolutions. VGA (this is my understanding)
will emulate MCGA, another IBM creation. MCGA is 320*200*256. Kings Quest V
will run in VGA OR MCGA (i.e. IBM Model 30's and 25's).

Standard VGA is 640*480.. Super VGA is 800*600..  or so it seems.

Matthew
---
ventureTech Intelligence - We're trying to make computer easy, SOME HOW!
Email: sysadmin@pnet91.cts.com (most mailers won't barf on that..)
My comments aren't even worth a disclaimer...
pnet91 - 416-237-{1204|0308}. 2400bps only. 1200bps if you do hard breaks.