[comp.sys.apple2] Controlling a modem from BASIC

mmansell@student.UVic.CA (Michael Mansell) (01/07/91)

	Does anyone know how to control a modem from BASIC? Even if
the program uses machine-language routines, it would be useful.

I know assembly-language and BASIC language extensively but I just got
a modem for my ][GS and I'd like to write my own software. Any help
would be useful. E-mail me at mmansell@student.UVic.CA. Thanks.

						Michael Mansell
						mmansell@student.UVic.CA

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (01/07/91)

I usually refrain from plugging products, but this is one area
where you may be better off not starting from scratch. Morgan Davis's
Modemworks package will probably do what you need.

(oops, I thought there was a demo version at brownvm, but apparently
not. Check your favorite ftp sites.)

Or you could write to Morgan directly. He just posted a
release for a new version of modemworks in comp.sys.apple2.
His address is mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com.

If you only want to make the modem dial from basic (say, to
call the annoying neighbors automatically every 15 minutes and
then hang up), you don't need modemworks, but....

I have not used modemworks beyond the demo version, and do not
stand to gain from anyone buying or using modemworks. I am only
suggesting it as a source of information :-)

noahm@pro-freedom.cts.com (Noah Magram) (01/08/91)

Also can ANYONE send ME some info on controlling a MicroModem ][e (300 bps)?
Thanx!!
ProLine: Noahm@pro-freedom               | "I only try to make the same|
Internet: Noahm@pro-freedom.cts.com      | mistake a dozen times,"     |
UUCP: clark!pro-freedom!noahm            | --Skeeve, Mything Persons,  |
ARPA: clark!pro-freedom!noahm@nosc.mil   |    /\Robert Asprin/\        |

benji@euler.Berkeley.EDU (Benji Rudiak-Gould) (01/09/91)

In article <1991Jan7.051340.13455@sol.UVic.CA> mmansell@student.UVic.CA (Michael  Mansell) writes:

>	Does anyone know how to control a modem from BASIC? Even if
>the program uses machine-language routines, it would be useful.

I'd like that information too, now that I've been informed that accessing
the modem from GS/OS is next to impossible...  And no ModemWorks plugs,
please.  I'm not planning to write anything involved.

Thanks.

--                       \\  I think, therefore I am.     |___|___| Disclaimer:
Benji Rudiak-Gould       //  I am, therefore I think.     |_|___|_|  Take with
benji@euler.berkeley.edu \\  Therefore, I think I am.     |___|___|  a grain
///////////////////////////  Therefore I am -- I think... |_|___|_|  of :-)

mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com (Morgan Davis) (01/10/91)

Michael,

Here's a message from my site that was posted in reply to a very similar
request about writing BBS's in Applesoft.  This pretty much says it all.

CS-ID: #1587.apple/tech@pro-sol 1062 chars
Date: 7 Jan 91 17:40:14 PST
From: ldc@pro-sol.cts.com (Larry Colton)
Subject: BBS's

Two posts just hit pro-sol about similar topics: writing custom I/O routines
and looking for a cheap BBS.  Let me suggest that for both cases the answer
has been provided by Morgan in the form of ModemWorks.  Hey, it ain't free,
but it might as well be.  For the $60 you'll get a package free of headaches
and pain that allows you to work magic with Applesoft.  And I do mean magic.

I know that Scott said he just got an assembler and wants to learn assembly
code.  The _best_ way to learn is by examining good code that is already
written.  There are enough variables in dealing with a modem that it can be
very frustrating, even if the software is already written.  Trying to reinvent
the wheel and then get everything working is just asking for trouble and
unneeded frustration.

Use Applesoft to control the BBS, define the menus, handle the user interface,
etc, but let ModemWorks do the hard and critical part.  The features of MW are
too mumerous to list here, contact Morgan, me or log on to pro-sol and look
around the mdg conference for more details.
----

UUCP: crash!pro-sol!mdavis           AOL, BIX: mdavis
ARPA: crash!pro-sol!mdavis@nosc.mil  GEnie:    m.davis42
INET: mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com         ProLine:  mdavis@pro-sol

mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com (Morgan Davis) (01/11/91)

}
} I'd like that information too, now that I've been informed that
} accessing the modem from GS/OS is next to impossible...  And no
} ModemWorks plugs, please.  I'm not planning to write anything
} involved.

I won't plug ModemWorks, but I can tell you this much...  If you plan
on doing it all yourself, the prospects will be VERY INVOLVING!
Writing a communications program, even the simplest, is not a weekend
project, especially if you've not already spent a lot of time learning
about serial communication at the firmware or hardware level.  Don't
dispair, though.  Tools do exist to make your life easier.