[comp.sys.apple2] Modem cable

PYC121@URIACC.URI.EDU (Andy Kress) (12/08/90)

    Hi all,
      I originally made my own modem cable for my IIgs useing the pin
 diagram in the ImageWriterII manual.  Well I wanted to try the Litfal
 BBS software the was Ul'ed last week or so and when someone calls my line
 the modem does not pick up.  You hear much sruggling and then it disconnects.

      Could this be a problem w/ the way I wired my cable?  If so could
 someone please send the the proper pinout?  Apple IIgs to RS-232.

      Another oservation, When I am talking to someone and want to go
 online with them I have to be the one that types ATD and the other person
 ATA.  If we do it the other way around I get that struggling and disconnect.
      Thanks....any ideas...

                                       Andy Kress
                                       PYC121 at URIACC

             Apple II:  The power to take over the world!
RECENTLY GOT MY FIRST ISSUE OF GS+ MAGAZINE!  MORE INFO ON THE FIRST
6 PAGES THAN IN AN ENTIRE ISSUE OF INCIDER/A+.  THIS IS THE BEST IIGS
MAGAZINE THERE IS!  EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION!  BTW...TO
THE EDITOR OF THIS MAGAZINE.  WHEN I TRY TO SEND YOU MAIL IT ALWAYS
BOUNCES BACK!

PYC121@URIACC.URI.EDU (Andy Kress) (01/10/91)

    Ok let's try this again.  Could someone take their modem cable and
 a multitester and tell me what pins on the RS-232 side of the cable are hooked
 to what pins on the GS mini plug pins?  Thanks in advance....

johns@pro-library.cts.com (System Administrator) (01/12/91)

> Subject: Modem cable
> Ok let's try this again.  Could someone take their modem cable and
> a multitester and tell me what pins on the RS-232 side of the cable are hooked
> to what pins on the GS mini plug pins?  Thanks in advance....
> Andy Kress

Andy, I don't believe they are all the same from different companies, but here
is what is connected on an Apple cable I have:

Port Pin:      RS232 Pin:
1              20
2              8
3              2
4              1 & 7
5              3
6              0
7              0
8              1 & 7

John
----
ProLine: johns@pro-library             | Pro-Library BBS 206/694-3276
UUCP: orgicse!clark!pro-library!johns  | 3/12/2400 baud, 24hr, register
ARPA: crash!pro-library!johns@nosc.mil | Apple*Van, Vancouver, WA.
Inet: johns@pro-library.cts.com        | Vancouver Apple Users Group