[comp.sys.apple2] RE Virus Not a virus

delaneyg@wnre.aecl.ca ("H. Grant Delaney") (01/07/91)

What was discribed was a window appearinf with DIE in it.  Well this sounds
exactly how Write It ! NDA crashes.  This is usually due to insufficient
memory and is part of the NDA.  It is not the first tome this has confused
people.  This may have been removed from the latest version.

jeffw@pro-gateway.cts.com (Jeff Woods) (01/10/91)

I had exactly the same problem with WriteIt and with some other software
including GSHK (GS ShrinkIt).  I was pulling my hair out for days trying
everything I could think of, short of reformatting my drive & starting over.
I even reinstalled GS/OS 5.0.3 & 5.0.4 from originals TWICE EACH to try to
solve it.  I finally figured it out by renaming my system folder, installing
5.0.4, and moving nonstandard system files one by one from the old system
folder to the new one and rebooting and testing GSHK.  I finally discovered
that a FONT (!!!) call KANA.18 (I think it's 18.) was in my system fonts
folder.  It was the offending piece.  The error I was getting from most of
the problem programs was something about "Error $004C loading system tools...
Press any key to continue" followed by a system death (sliding apple) with
error $0003 loading tools.  Kana.18 came from a BXY file I downloaded from AO,
if I recall correctly.  My copy may have been trashed during download, but the
symptoms are almost identical, except that only certain GS/OS applications
were affected.  The moral to the story is:  "Don't forget that data files
(like fonts) can make software have problems."

  Internet/ProLine: <LOGIN>@pro-gateway.cts.com
+-----------+ UUCP: crash!pro-gateway!<LOGIN>
|Pro-Gateway| ARPA: crash!pro-gateway!<LOGIN>@nosc.mil
|214/6445113| America Online: JeffDWoods
+-Dallas,TX-+

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (01/13/91)

From jeffw@pro-gateway.cts.com (Jeff Woods):

> The moral to the story is:  "Don't forget that data files
> (like fonts) can make software have problems."

    I don't see how that is possible in your case.  GSHK starts up the Font
Manager, but it doesn't use any of the font records, so simply booting into
GSHK shouldn't cause a system crash because of a bad font.  But I guess the
main point is that you eliminated your problem.

Brian T. Tao  {taob@pnet91.cts.com} ||  Computer guru?  Someone who got
University of Metro Toronto         ||  their computer a couple of weeks
Scarberia, ON, MIC 3A8         *B-) ||  before you did.  (Alvin Toffler)