[comp.sys.apple2] Makebin problems...

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (01/10/91)

Hi everyone.  I just ordered my Orca/M upgrade, but I haven't received it
yet.  Anyway, I would like to use "makebin" to make a binary file to be
used under ProDOS 8.  Unfortunately, this version of ORCA generates OMF 2.0
files, instead of OMF 1.0, which makebin supports.  I know there's a way
to produce OMF 1.0 files, because I did it before, but for the life of me,
I can't find how, and I've searched the big manual pretty well.

If anybody can help, please do.  Thanks in advance.  Either posting or
email is okay.

- Andrew.  (aabenson@balance.cs.mtu.edu   or   aabenson@mtu.edu)
            BITNET: AABENSON@MTUS5

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (01/12/91)

In article <91009.135020AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET> AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET writes:
>Hi everyone.  I just ordered my Orca/M upgrade, but I haven't received it
>yet.  Anyway, I would like to use "makebin" to make a binary file to be
>used under ProDOS 8.  Unfortunately, this version of ORCA generates OMF 2.0
>files, instead of OMF 1.0, which makebin supports.

I think the latest APW MAKEBIN supports OMF 2.0, and possibly the current
ORCA/M upgrade does (I haven't tried it yet).

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (01/12/91)

I guess the new version of Orca is supposed to, but I haven't received mine
yet.  Anyway, I thought there was some sort of assembler directive or something
to tell the linker that told it to produce OMF 1.0 output.

- Andrew.  (aabenson@balance.cs.mtu.edu     or     aabenson@mtu.edu)

gallaher@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (William Christopher Gallaher) (01/13/91)

In article <14829@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <91009.135020AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET> AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET writes:
>>Hi everyone.  I just ordered my Orca/M upgrade, but I haven't received it
>>yet.  Anyway, I would like to use "makebin" to make a binary file to be
>>used under ProDOS 8.  Unfortunately, this version of ORCA generates OMF 2.0
>>files, instead of OMF 1.0, which makebin supports.
>
>I think the latest APW MAKEBIN supports OMF 2.0, and possibly the current
>ORCA/M upgrade does (I haven't tried it yet).

Although I don't have the newest MAKEBIN yet, I have found a patch to
let Makebin recognize 2.0 files, as long as they don't use compressed
relocation records or Expressload headers.  I have ZapLink version
1.2.2, and Makebin is 1.1.  With a little disassembly of MAKEBIN,
I found that it would recognize the 2.0 files with the following change:

Change byte $0528 (offset) from $01 to $02

As long as you link with the "-X" and "-C" flags (disabling the creation
of an ExpressLoad header and creation of compressed records), the new
"MAKEBIN2" (as I call it) utility will recognize the OMF 2.0 files that
ZapLink creates.

Enjoy!

Scott Blackman
blackman@phoenix (IGNORE posting address ... using a friend's account)