[comp.sys.apple2] proterm problems

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Hammer) (07/29/90)

I'm having problems using ProTERM's scrollback buffer.  It seems that
when in vt-100 mode (maybe others as well, I don't know) when a line is
exactly 80 columns long, the program generates an unwanted blank line and
continues on the line after the blank one.  (It shouldn't line-feed
there.)  I've learned to deal with this by creating a 79-column vt-100
driver so that I can use vi without switching word-wrap modes, but while
reading usenet messages, I want to scroll back and re-read parts of a
message or capture it for reading offline, and I am annoyed that the line
after the aforementioned blank line disappears from the scrollback
buffer, and can't be recaptured other than re-reading the message and
using the copy buffer (which also captures that --More-- prompt).

I wouldn't be so mad except that some Star Trek parodies I captured using
this method I discovered had missing lines due to this bug.  Is there a
reason why this happens, and is there a patch for it?
      __  ___________  __
     /_/\/_/_______\_\/\_\
     \ \_\ \__   __/ /_/ /
      \  __ \ | | / __  /
       \_\/\_\|_|/_/\/_/
       / /_/ /| |\ \_\ \
      /greg@hoss.unl.edu\
     /_/ /_/_______\_\ \_\

syslep@pro-lep.cts.com (System Leprechaun) (08/10/90)

I've heard there is, or will be soon, a version 2.2 released by a new company
started by Schaefer & company called InSync.  According to the August edition
of inCider, Checkmate Technologies is no more.  The new version of ProTERM is
supposed to fix all the bugs of 2.1 and add some new features like an expanded
dialing list.  An upgrade is supposed to cost $10.  Perhaps someone in the new
company, or Greg himself, could post the full details.  ProTERM is the best
term program I've found for any platform, but more enhancements would still be
welcome news.
 /                         /                       /                     /|
| Don Patrick             |ProLine: syslep@pro-lep| Source: R.I.P.      | |
| 9100 Circle Drive       |     512-288-2114      |  GEnie: DONPATRICK  | |
| Austin TX 78736-7911    |AmericaOnline:D Patrick|    CI$: 72355,1717  | |

bbean@pro-grouch.cts.com (Bruce Bean) (01/13/91)

  ProTERM has serious problems when run from a selector that supports
interrupts.  The program wants the whole machine as it's own domain. I
wouldn't buy the thing until the publisher makes it behave with the other
programs that are in memory........

                                    Bruce Bean