[comp.sys.apple2] Modem Driver via C

crew@pro-harvest.cts.com (Chris Wicklein) (01/12/91)

   Would someone PLEASE mail me some sort of instructions for using the GS/OS
Modem Driver from C (ORCA/C)? I'm in the midst of reinventing the wheel for
school (640x200x4/16 text and line grafix term). I'm going to talk a friend
into doing the same from GW BASIC on a Tandy. Thanx!

                        CReW! aka Chris Wicklein
 ________________________                          _________________________
|                         ProLine: crew@pro-harvest                         |
|                    Internet: crew@pro-harvest.cts.com                     |
|                       UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!crew                        |
|                  ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!crew@nosc.mil                    |
|_______________ BITNET: crew%pro-harvest.cts.com@nosc.mil _________________|

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (01/13/91)

crew@pro-harvest.cts.com (Chris Wicklein) writes:

>   Would someone PLEASE mail me some sort of instructions for using the GS/OS
>Modem Driver from C (ORCA/C)? I'm in the midst of reinventing the wheel for
>school (640x200x4/16 text and line grafix term). I'm going to talk a friend
>into doing the same from GW BASIC on a Tandy. Thanx!

Well, if the modem driver had a fixed name like .MODEM you would be able to
issue an fopen(".modem", "rwb") or something like that. I just checked
with SysInfo and mine calls itself .DEV6 instead.

The GS/OS reference (out in stores! caltech bookstore got it and I snarfed one
already -- good bye beta binder) explains the application side of things. It
is fairly easy to write generic C functions that act as interfaces to the O/S
(I can give you sample code if you'd like), but I haven't done anything with
character devices yet, to be honest.

Jawaid, you listening? Surely your experience from 'TelCom program of the Gods'
can help this person?

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu