[comp.sys.apple2] 64K apple //e? *** Help explain something ******

Mack.Goodman@samba.acs.unc.edu (Mack Goodman) (01/05/91)

A perhaps dumb question, but being new to the apple
world I seem to think that a Apple //e with an 80 col.
card in the aux slot makes it 128K, however, why
can't I run proterm?

Do I really have 128K or is there something I must do to activate
this RAM?
Thanks
Please email reply to  mdgoodma@crdec8.apgea.army.mil

thanks, mack

-Rich-@cup.portal.com (Richard Sherman Payne) (01/05/91)

Apple sold 2 80 column cards for the //e. There was the regular 80
column card, with no additional memory, and the extenden 80 column card,
with an extra 64K. The extended card had a bank of 8 chips on the
top of the card, if I remember correctly.

And as I recall, if you can run Prodos (64K needed, all //e's have this),
then you should be able to run Proterm, but you will get something ilke
a 5K scrollback and a 5K editor.

If you need more memory, an AE card will be a better bet, they go up
to 1.5MEG's.

						Rich
					-Rich-@cup.portal.com

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (01/05/91)

Is the //e enhanced? Proterm won't run on an unenhanced //e -- but it should
tell you that when you try to run it.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

m.tiernan@pro-angmar.UUCP (Michael Tiernan) (01/07/91)

A couple of things to point out.  They are obvious to most of us but to the
new member of the Apple world, this may get past you.

1) The 80-Col card that gives you the 128K is called an Extened 80-Column
card.  It has an additional 64K on it.
2) To allow the system to use this memory, there is a small jumper on the
board that must be set.  This jumper may only be used for graphics or some
such thing but I can't remember now.

Good luck with it.

<< MCT >>

GEnie       : M.Tiernan
AppleLinkPE : M Tiernan or BCS Mike
Internet    : pro-angmar!m.tiernan@alphalpha.com
UUCP        : ...!uunet!alphalpha!pro-angmar!m.tiernan

"God isn't dead, he's only missing in action."
                                             - Phil Ochs

joeq@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Joe Quilici) (01/08/91)

Whether or not you have a 64k bank of memory on your 80 column card determines
whether you have 128k total memory.  I, personally, use an AE Ramworks III,
which includes full 80 column capability and a possible 1 meg on board.
----
ProLine:  joeq@pro-odyssey
Internet: joeq@pro-odyssey.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-odyssey!joeq
ARPA:     crash!pro-odyssey!joeq@nosc.mil

matthew@pro-sherwood.cts.com (Matthew McGehrin) (01/12/91)

> 2) To allow the system to use this memory, there is a small jumper on the
> board that must be set.  This jumper may only be used for graphics or some

The jumper enables the computer to use double hires. I believe on the
newer apple //e (built in number pad) that the 128k is on the main motherboard

-- matthew

   ProLine : matthew@pro-sherwood                | Pro-Sherwood
   Internet: matthew@pro-sherwood.cts.com        | <NJNEW> 233-6278 (PCP)
       UUCP: crash!pro-sherwood!matthew          |     -- NJ:USA --
       ARPA: crash!pro-sherwood!matthew@nosc.mil | or 1201-233-6278 (AT&T)

reeder@reed.UUCP (Doug Reeder) (01/13/91)

In article <6864@crash.cts.com> matthew@pro-sherwood.cts.com (Matthew McGehrin) writes:

>The jumper enables the computer to use double hires. I believe on the
>newer apple //e (built in number pad) that the 128k is on the main motherboard

Nope, their logic boards have no significant differences from IIe's built as
enhanced.  There is however, a newer extended 80-column card (very small,
with only 4 chips) with no jumper (the connection is already made).

Doug Reeder                                   USENET: ...!tektronix!reed!reeder
from ARPA: tektronix!reed!reeder@berkeley.EDU BITNET: reeder@reed.BITNET
Romulan Commander: Prepare to be destroyed, Enterprise!
Counselor Troi: I sense hostility, captain.