[comp.sys.apple2] Apple IIc

sehrlich@lynx.northeastern.edu (01/15/91)

Hello, everyone.  I am new to this journal, and don't know if this
question has every been brought up (although, from the caliber of
conversion that takes place here, I assume it has been asked before.
I question is this:

I have an Apple IIc.  Now, I first got it (about 6 or so years
ago).

Since that time, I have heard that there were different versions
of the IIc that Apple put on the market.  And that each version
did certain things just a bit differently that the other version.
Could someone please 1) e-mail me directly to:
sehrlich@lynx.northeastern.edu
or 2) post publicly, how to find out which version I have
(please don't get too technical in the answer, for although I
am an engineering Tech. student, I am NOT a computer science
student.  And, in English, what the version means to me in terms
of how the computer does something in this version that it might
or might not do in another version.
Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Thanks much for any help anyone can offer me.

Scott Ehrlich, Computer Engineering Technology student now at
Wentworth Institute of Technology, Boston, MA.

ralpho@cs.fau.edu (Ralph P Carpenter) (01/16/91)

In article <memo.676087@lynx.northeastern.edu> sehrlich@lynx.northeastern.edu writes:
>[...]
>I have heard that there were different versions
>of the IIc that Apple put on the market.  And that each version
>did certain things just a bit differently that the other version.
>[...]

	You can inspect the value stored at memory address $FBBF
(64,447 decimal) in order to find out which version of the Apple//c
you have.

	From Applesoft Basic ("]" prompt), you can do:

		] PRINT PEEK (64447)

	From the Monitor ("*") prompt, you can do:

		* FBBF

	The value you get back is the ROM version number.  The basic
and most meaningful differences are:

		FF	255	Original //c -- boat anchor
		00	000	adds support for 3.5" Unidisk drives
		03	003	adds expanded-RAM support
		04	004	fixes bugs in expanded-RAM support
		05	005	Apple //c+

	Some (all?) of the original (ROM FF) machines have a defective
crystal that prevented their modem port from operating correctly at
speeds in excess of 300 bps...  A few years back, we ordered five or
so machines for some of our faculty to use at home -- all but one were
ROM FF and had the defect :-(  One was a ROM 03 -- guess who got (has)
that one? :-)  Fortunately, Apple dealers (are supposed to) replace the
bad crystal free-of-charge.

	Hope this helps.
--
|  Ralph P Carpenter      | InterNet: Ralpho@acc.fau.edu     | Blake's 7:  |