[comp.sys.apple2] Virtual Memory on the II

ua_rlp@nuhub.acs.northeastern.edu (I am created Shiva) (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan17.202814.26340@src.honeywell.com>, shankar@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Subash Shankar) writes:
> In article <9101171221.AA27947@apple.com> lwv27@CAS.BITNET writes:
>
>>were you aware that at one time, in the distant past (maybe before
>>the IIe) there WAS a commercially available 'memory manager'?
>
> I also recall reading in a Prolog article, that one of the earlier
> implementations of Prolog (circa late 70s) used the DOS 3.3 Disk II as virtual
> memory.  Does anybody know any details about how this was done?
> ---
> Subash Shankar             Honeywell Systems & Research Center MN65-2100
> voice: (612) 782 7558      US Snail: 3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
> shankar@src.honeywell.com  srcsip!shankar

I don't, but a recent issue of Nibble magazine has a program to allow
virtual numeric arrays, both real and integer. The program will use any
ProDOS storage device, from a Disk II to RAM disks to hard disks to store
arrays up to the capacity of the device. The program is transparent to
Applesoft's normal array handling and is remarkably small.
--
					Later...
					Remo, The Destroyer