[comp.sys.apple2] InCider

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (09/20/90)

I've been pissed at A+/InCider and I just got my LAST ISSUE! YEAH!
(It's got that RENEW TODAY cover on it)  I feel like counting the ads.
Out of 99 (Including inside front cover, inside back cover, and back cover)
pages there are many ads.  I will summarize and then detail:

Total Pages:            99  _
Total ads:              54.05  (Approx.)
Ad percentage:          54.60% (Approx.)
Not-Ad percentage       45.40% (Approx.)
(Not-Ad does NOT mean article because there are also table of contents,
bulkhead, etc.)

This is very interesting info. . .
And now for the details. . .(In order of appearance)

You can figure the approximate percentage of total magazine from the # of
pages.  That is the value.

                        Pages              Percentage (Approx.)
                                           of ad pages

(26 advertisers total)
Laser                   1               1.8%
Softdisk                1               1.8%
Quality/Q Labs          5               9.2%
Sensible Software       1/3             0.6%
CDA                     2               3.6%
Price Busters           2/3             1.2%
Programs+               7              12.9%
AE                      6              11.0%
Tulin                   1/4             0.5%
Abracadata              1/4             0.5%
PDE                     1/2             0.9%
Roger Coats             2               3.6%
Creative Pursuits       1/3             0.6%
Educational Resources   1               1.8%
GEnie                   2               3.6%
Supra                   1               1.8%
LRO Sales               1/3             0.6%
TimeWorks               1               1.8%
Golem                   2               3.6%
Preferred Computing     1               1.8%
CompuServe              1               1.8%
Fas-Track               2/3             1.2%
IDG Special             1               1.8%
Scholastic              1               1.8%
Chinook                 1               1.8%
Alltech                 4/9             0.8%
USA Micro               4/9             0.8%
Silicon Express         2/3             1.2%
NBS                     2/3             1.2%
Echo                    1/3             0.6%
MacInker                1/3             0.6%
SDA                     1               1.8%
Ribbon Land             1/3             0.6%
Advertiser Index        2/3             1.2%
                (Does this one count? I didn't include it in the totals)
InCider                 1               1.8%
New Concepts            1/2             0.9%
Memory Plus             1               1.8%
Broderbund              1               1.8%
Market Place            4               7.4%
Classifieds             2               3.6%
Orange Cherry           1               1.8%
Kensington              1               1.8%

I had assumed the AE number would be greater but that is still a large number.
If AE decided not to advertise in there for one or more issues, there goes 11
percent of the ad revenue.
But a 55.6% number was OUTRAGOUS.  The newstand price is $3.95 plus tax is
$4.21.  So I am paying $2.30 for the ADS! (Well I subscribed so it is less, but
still . . .)  How much is computer shopper? $4-5? and it has about 8-9 times
the ads!  Why don't I just buy that!? That is HELL! I'm mad because there are
no good Apple II mags out there.  If there were I would not be mad, I'd just
tell people not to subscribe to A+/InCider.  (If there IS, tell me please)

(I've been really pissed in this article.  Sorry If I OfFeNd SoMeOnE)

--
Sameer Parekh  :-)      |  Disclaimer: I do not work for anyone.
zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM      |  "If cartoons were meant for adults

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (09/20/90)

>I am mad because there are no good Apple II mags out there
 [one line deleted]
>(If there IS tell me please)

GS+ is a GREAT magazine... The last issue had 45 pages... 4 pages were adds.
2 of which were adds for the magazine (ordering info. and back issue info).
This is a GS specific magazine though; no prodos 8 stuff.  By the way, the
Graphics articles are GREAT! :)  ok, I admit it, I work for the magazine..
guess what I do?-------^

|                                    |                               |
|  This is your brain...             |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm        |
|  This is your brain on drugs...    |  pro-line:                    |
|  This is your brain on whole wheat.|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
|____________________________________|_______________________________|

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (09/20/90)

Sorry!  I brought up GS+ magazine, but I didn't give ANY information on how
to order.

GS+ Magazine
Post Office Box 15366
Chattanooga, TN  37415-0366

Phone: (615) 870-4960

I also forgot to mention, it's a magazine PLUS disk deal (you dan't have to
get the disk if you don't want it).  Be sure to check out the next issue.
It's the 1st anniversary issue.

|                                    |                               |

daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com (Dave Harvey) (09/21/90)

> GS+ is a GREAT magazine... The last issue had 45 pages... 4 pages were adds.
> 2 of which were adds for the magazine (ordering info. and back issue info).
> This is a GS specific magazine though; no prodos 8 stuff.  By the way, the
> Graphics articles are GREAT! :)  ok, I admit it, I work for the magazine..
> guess what I do?-------^

It is if you can manage to get a copy!  They're still having problems with
their delivery system that they have to straighten out.  I've talked to a
number of subscribers who've had less than satisfactory experience with their
subscriptions.  They still have to get that part of their act together and
find an alternate means of delivering copies to subscribers.

proline: pro-novapple!daveharv                    |
uucp: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv          |   Pro-novapple BBS
arpa: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv@nosc.mil |  300/1200/2400/9600 Baud
Internet: daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com           |    703-671-0416

Northern Virginia Apple Users Group               |
P.O. Box 8211, Falls Church, VA 22041             |

JWANKERL@UTCVM.BITNET ("Josef W. Wankerl") (09/23/90)

On Fri, 21 Sep 90 09:17:39 EDT Dave Harvey said:
>It is if you can manage to get a copy!  They're still having problems with
>their delivery system that they have to straighten out.  I've talked to a
>number of subscribers who've had less than satisfactory experience with their
>subscriptions.  They still have to get that part of their act together and
>find an alternate means of delivering copies to subscribers.

Find an alternate means, eh?  Shall I drive it to your doorstep personally?
Sorry to sound so obnoxious, but what can you do after you drop the bundle
off at the post office?  The answer is nothing.  If the PO decides to not
deliver some copies, what can I do?  It's true that some people *still*
haven't received a copy of the last issue, but if they write in or call
another copy will be sent out.  I'm not exactly sure of the details for
sending out copies to those who were unfortunate enough to be a victim of the
post office, but please contact GS+ about it!  GS+ is, IMHO, the best
Apple II magazine around... but I may be a bit biased.  :-)

>proline: pro-novapple!daveharv                    |
>uucp: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv          |   Pro-novapple BBS
>arpa: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv@nosc.mil |  300/1200/2400/9600 Baud
>Internet: daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com           |    703-671-0416
>Northern Virginia Apple Users Group               |
>P.O. Box 8211, Falls Church, VA 22041             |

--
===> Josef W. Wankerl, college student | "I am a Viking"  -Y. Malmsteen
 ProLine:  jwankerl@pro-gsplus         | BITNET:  JWANKERL@UTCVM

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (09/23/90)

>It is if you can manage to get a copy!  They're still having problems with
>their delivery system that they may have to straighten out.

hmmmm.  I wasn't aware of this (I believe you though).  I do know of one time
not very long ago (last issue, if I'm not mistaken) that the Chattanooga post
office lost almost EVERY SINGLE COPY... They all went out at one time.  This
one incident wasn't GS+'s fault though, but I don't know about any other times.

|                                    |                               |
|  This is your brain...             |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm        |
|  This is your brain on drugs...    |  pro-line:                    |
|  This is your brain on whole wheat.|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
|____________________________________|_______________________________|

lexter@pro-abilink.cts.com (Sam Robertson) (09/25/90)

I am interested in the magazine GS+ (?).  If you could send me some info, I
would be very appreciative.

Thanks!]
Applelink:  Lexter               || Sam Robertson   Pro-Abilink 300/1200/2400
GENIE:      SL.Robertson         || 1357 Santos           Sysop (Saw)
Proline:    Lexter@Pro-Abilink   || Abilene Texas 79605   (915)673-6856
INET: Lexter@Pro-Abilink.cts.com || UUCP: Crash!pnet01!pro-abilink!lexter
            ARPA:   Crash!pnet01!pro-abilink!lexter@nosc.mil
           "An Apple a day, keeps the Big Blue Meanies away!"

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (09/25/90)

GS+ Magazine
Post office Box 15366
Chattanooga, TN  37415-0366

or phone (615) 870-4960

|                                    |                               |

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (01/18/91)

In article <9101171308.AA21116@apple.com> lwv27@CAS.BITNET writes:
>There was NOTHING negative said about RamFast,and little bad said about
>the other two.  Yet , they were all described as being equal.  It is
>hard to understand equal when the RamFast is so much faster!

Like most magazines that depend heavily on advertising revenues, they
are hesitant to pan a product in a product review, unless it is so
clearly bad that even the manufacturer would have to agree with the
negative evaluation.

In fact I find that the choice between Apple's High-Speed SCSI card
and the RamFast SCSI card depends very much on factors that may very
well differ among potential users of such a product.  Apple's card
is (at present, anyway) better supported by GS/OS and better supports
a wide range of SCSI peripherals; it also has a nice I/O chaining mode
that can be exploited for certain applications.  On the other hand,
the RamFast card's caching gives much better disk throughput when
using 8-bit applications.  Different users may find different factors
to be decisive.  (I chose Apple's card; it's certainly fast enough for
my purposes.)