[comp.sys.apple2] Shareware <> Freeware

swiers@plains.NoDak.edu (Mike Aos ) (01/14/91)

In article <1991Jan13.153544.12059@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) writes:
>In article <m0iuzQY-00007lC@jartel.info.com> llee@gnh-starport.cts.com (Larry Lee) writes:
>>=I= pay for shareware.
>
>Glad to hear it. You're in the minority.
>
>>I'm sure that the number of people out there who pay for shareware number more
>>than one.

Number of people that paid for Zlink delete

>Now, I tell people, you wanna make a couple of bucks? Write a neato
>program and distribute it as shareware. You wanna make a living? Get a
>real job.
>
>--
>Dave Whitney
>Computer Science MIT 1990	| I wrote Z-Link and BinSCII. Send me bug
>dcw@lcs.mit.edu   dcw@mit.edu	| reports. I still need a job. Send me offers.
>"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" --Binky (aka Matt Groening)

I guess I never used it that much, and when I did I was into ProTerm, but I
always thought Zlink kinda sucked.....now BinSCII is an awesome program!  I
guess I'd never really thought about it 'till I read your post...how much
of a fee would be "reasonable" for users of it (it's freeware, right?, so
you don't expect any $$...right???)

(it wouldn't let me post it before)

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (01/14/91)

In article <7530@plains.NoDak.edu> swiers@plains.NoDak.edu (Mike Aos ) writes:

>I guess I never used [Z-Link] that much, and when I did I was into ProTerm, but I
>always thought Zlink kinda sucked.....now BinSCII is an awesome program!  I
		^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well, I guess I'm curious as to why.

>guess I'd never really thought about it 'till I read your post...how much
>of a fee would be "reasonable" for users of it (it's freeware, right?, so
>you don't expect any $$...right???)

Indeed, I don't *expect* anyone to pay anything for BinSCII, but if
you feel compelled, go right ahead!

--
Dave Whitney
Computer Science MIT 1990	| I wrote Z-Link and BinSCII. Send me bug
dcw@lcs.mit.edu   dcw@mit.edu	| reports. I still need a job. Send me offers.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" --Binky (aka Matt Groening)

llee@gnh-starport.cts.com (Larry Lee) (01/19/91)

By the way, let me clarify myself on that "I pay for shareware" post.

I didn't mean to brag or anything. Really.

| ProLine.: llee@gnh-starport           | Millions long for immortality who |
| UUCP....: crash!gnh-starport!llee     | don't know what to do on a rainy  |
| InterNet: llee@gnh-starport.cts.com   | Sunday afternoon.                 |
| AO .....: Watch this space!           |                    -- Susan Ertz  |