[comp.sys.apple2] problems with 5.0.4

nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu (nagendra mishr) (01/10/91)

I gotta problem maybe you guys know about.
I am using what I think is 5.0.4, from a hard disk.
When I try using the open filefrom some nda's, the file open window
opens, and then hangs, as soon as I put in a 3.5 disk in the drive, it
proceeds.  Is this supposed to happen? or am I doing something wrong?

Also what's the difference between 5.0.2 and 5.04 and why shouldn't I use
5.03?

It seems I was perfectly happy with 5.0.2 and then 5.0.4 came around and
now I think the nexus demo which came with my hard drive does not work.

anyone?
please reply to nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu

thanks
nagendra

nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu (nagendra mishr) (01/11/91)

another problem

I was wondering if anyone else can confirm this, I'm trying to use TMLII
from 5.04 and when I try compile to memory, it fails.
Has anyone had this problem?

nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu

JDA@CU.NIH.GOV ("Doug Ashbrook") (01/11/91)

> I was wondering if anyone else can confirm this, I'm trying to use TMLII
> from 5.04 and when I try compile to memory, it fails.
> Has anyone had this problem?
>
> nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu

I think that there must be some other explanation.  I have compiled
to memory with TML II under GS/OS 5.0.4 and had no problems.

J. Douglas Ashbrook                                   (301) 402-1248
INTERNET: JDA@CU.NIH.GOV                           BITNET: JDA@NIHCU
National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,   Bethesda, MD 20892

mcgu5464@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Ronald J Mcguire) (01/11/91)

In article <9101101708.AA02622@alw.nih.gov> JDA@CU.NIH.GOV ("Doug Ashbrook") writes:
>> I was wondering if anyone else can confirm this, I'm trying to use TMLII
>> from 5.04 and when I try compile to memory, it fails.
>> Has anyone had this problem?
>> nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu

>I think that there must be some other explanation.  I have compiled
>to memory with TML II under GS/OS 5.0.4 and had no problems.

Personaly I happen to believe 5.04 IS the problem. My ROM 03 chokes on
everything with 5.04 where with 5.03 it all ran fine, no crashes. Another
example of a program that I cant get to run is the File Manager NDA. Yet
a friend of mine runs it fine on his Rom 01 machine. I have 2 meg he only
has 1.25 so memory is not my problem. I've dloaded copies from several
sources and know that the copy is not the problem. Our systems were
identical otherwise. Its just that 5.04 chokes A LOT. I hope Andy and
Dave are reading this... :-) (Nothing personal) Soon I will get more
mem on my GSRam+ and perhaps an accelerator and maybe an AST Video Card.
I sure hope this all gets straightened out by then!!!

Dan Gross

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (01/11/91)

In article <8813@uwm.edu> mcgu5464@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Ronald J Mcguire) writes:
>Personaly I happen to believe 5.04 IS the problem. My ROM 03 chokes on
>everything with 5.04 where with 5.03 it all ran fine, no crashes.

Practically all system crashes I have had under any version of the GS
system software (including 5.0.4) have been due to misbehaving desk
accessories (NDAs mostly, but occasionally CDAs).  So far as I can
tell from the text-screen bootup display, Apple IIGS System Disk 5.0.4
uses all the same modules in GS/OS as in version 5.0.3, apart from the
ImageWriter driver and perhaps some tools.  The Finder is also the same..

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (01/11/91)

>> I was wondering if anyone else can confirm this, I'm trying to use TMLII
>> from 5.04 and when I try compile to memory, it fails.
>> Has anyone had this problem?
>>
>> nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu

If 5.0.4 provides less free RAM than 5.0.3 did, that MIGHT be part of the
problem.  When running TML II under 5.0.3, you may have had XXXk RAM free,
but with 5.0.4, you may have just a little less than you need to compile
to memory.  I can't confirm this because I don't have 5.0.4. but it's a thought

  Michael J. Quinn
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
  BITNET--   mquinn@utcvm
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

In article <14815@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:

>In article <8813@uwm.edu> mcgu5464@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Ronald J Mcguire) writes:
>>Personaly I happen to believe 5.04 IS the problem. My ROM 03 chokes on
>>everything with 5.04 where with 5.03 it all ran fine, no crashes.

>Practically all system crashes I have had under any version of the GS
>system software (including 5.0.4) have been due to misbehaving desk
>accessories (NDAs mostly, but occasionally CDAs).  So far as I can
>tell from the text-screen bootup display, Apple IIGS System Disk 5.0.4
>uses all the same modules in GS/OS as in version 5.0.3, apart from the
>ImageWriter driver and perhaps some tools.  The Finder is also the same..

Well, I would agree with you, and writing software that must get along
is a hell of a difficult task. Obviously _something_ has changed or it
wouldn't work under one and not the other. Several of the tools, and
some of the drivers were changed. Perhaps they were "moved" to where
FileManager now sits, or the tools need more specifics now which FileManager
doesn't supply. I can probably do without FileManager tho.. So its no
*big* loss.

I would appreciate it if someone had a P16 program that would read a text
file (and appleworks3.0 if possible) from the icon much the way FinderView
does... Just doubleclick the icon. It would provide a box the same as
FileManager so you could view the entire file (unlike FinderView) and
dump back to the desktop after. No editing required. If there isn't one,
could someone write one? I would - but I'm a user, not a guru that
actually knows how one of these things works. It seems pretty simple -
all toolbox calls...

Thanks,
 Dan

dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com (Daniel Zimmerman) (01/12/91)

>> I have what I think is 5.04...

You THINK it's 5.04? If you're not sure if it's 5.04 or not, go to your local
Apple dealer or an online service like CompuServe, America Online, or my BBS
listed below (I'm authorized to distribute it) and download something that is
DEFINITELY 5.04. Also, you have to install it with the Installer - if you
don't, many bad, possibly unexplainable things will happen because of files
from mixed system software.

>> What is the difference between 5.02 and 5.04....

There are many, many differences, too many to list here... There are toolbox
fixes, a new tool call (in the Miscellaneous Tool Set), bug fixes in the OS,
GS/OS version 3.03, version 1.1 of the Resource Manager (which is a must-get if
you use programs like AppleWorks GS, which use lots of resources and can screw
up a bit under Resource Manager 1.0 from 5.02 :), and many other fixes. Also
new printer drivers, a vastly improved and accelerated ACE toolset, etc..

Daniel M. Zimmerman             InterNet - dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com
  TFF Enterprises       America Online - Surak TFF    CompuServe - 76407,2246

"Learn reason above all. Learn clear thought; learn to know what is from what
seems to be, and what you wish to be. This is the key to everything: the truth
of reality, the reality of truth. What IS will set you free."
                                                        - Surak Of Vulcan

llee@gnh-starport.cts.com (Larry Lee) (01/13/91)

"
I gotta problem maybe you guys know about.
I am using what I think is 5.0.4, from a hard disk.
When I try using the open filefrom some nda's, the file open window
opens, and then hangs, as soon as I put in a 3.5 disk in the drive, it
proceeds.  Is this supposed to happen? or am I doing something wrong?

Also what's the difference between 5.0.2 and 5.04 and why shouldn't I use
5.03?

It seems I was perfectly happy with 5.0.2 and then 5.0.4 came around and
now I think the nexus demo which came with my hard drive does not work.
"

I experienced the same "problem" with the 3.5" drive that you have. Let me
guess, you're using an AMR 3.5"?  I've used the Apple 3.5, AE 3.5, and the AMR
3.5, and the AMR is the one with problems. (Well, the AE drive is too noisy,
but that's besides the point) The problem is that empty 3.5" drives (for the
Apples), when polled by GS/OS, SHOULD be able to report that there is no disk
in and allow the poll to go to the next drive.  The AMR drive, however, when
polled from the OPEN command, will NOT report an "empty drive" and will put
your system on hold until you do stick in a disk.  There's nothing wrong with
your system, just your drive.\

I think that this is a rather strange problem, as the drive does report itself
as "empty" when I go into the Finder (ie. system doesn't hang). The only
solution I know is to keep a disk in the trouble drive all the time.

I hope you understood that! :)
| ProLine.: llee@gnh-starport             | The other day a dog peed on me.  |
| UUCP....: crash!gnh-starport!llee       | A bad sign.                      |
| InterNet: llee@gnh-starport.cts.com     |                                  |
| AO .....: Shirley you can't be serious! |     - H.L. Mencken (1880-1956)   |

llee@gnh-starport.cts.com (Larry Lee) (01/13/91)

I tried TML (Pascal) II to compile to memory on System 5.0.4 as well, and it
works.

What's your setup?

| ProLine.: llee@gnh-starport           | Millions long for immortality who |
| UUCP....: crash!gnh-starport!llee     | don't know what to do on a rainy  |
| InterNet: llee@gnh-starport.cts.com   | Sunday afternoon.                 |
| AO .....: Watch this space!           |                    -- Susan Ertz  |

llee@gnh-starport.cts.com (Larry Lee) (01/13/91)

I have a ROM 03 myself, but I couldn't get file manager 1.1 to work even on
system 5.0.3.

I don't know what the problem is, but when I call up the DA, all I get are the
inverse question marks instead of the operation icons.  Another interestingly
buggy DA (for me) is Keycaps 2.2.  I can call it up fine, but then the Apple
menu just disappears! %)

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (01/14/91)

On Sun, 13 Jan 91 00:53:04 CST Larry Lee said:
>I have a ROM 03 myself, but I couldn't get file manager 1.1 to work even on
>system 5.0.3.
>
>I don't know what the problem is, but when I call up the DA, all I get are the
>inverse question marks instead of the operation icons.  Another interestingly

Jeff HartKopf has fixed that problem in a new version (1.11).  I can e-mail
it to you if you like.

dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com (Daniel Zimmerman) (01/14/91)

>> My ROM 03 chokes when using 5.04..... (etc...) when it didn't with 5.03

The only possible explanation is that you didn't use the Installer to install
5.04 (or you used the 5.03 System Tools disk to install the 5.04 System Disk).
All of the GS/OS files are identical from 5.03 to 5.04 - the changes to 5.04
were just bug fixes in printer drivers, QuickDraw II Auxiliary, and something
else (don't recall right now...) - Make sure you have both the System Disk and
System Tools 5.04 and use the Installer to install it.

llee@gnh-starport.cts.com (Larry Lee) (01/19/91)

"

Jeff HartKopf has fixed that problem in a new version (1.11).  I can e-mail
it to you if you like.

"

re: File Manager

could you send me a copy? I'd appreciate it.  However, I would like to know if
it's going to be BINSCII'd or not, since I don't have any experience in that
area.