[comp.sys.apple2] comp.unix.appleiigs <-- It's new!

bazyar@ernie (Jawaid Bazyar) (01/15/91)

If this is true, it's not made it to this site.  I somehow really doubt this.
No, there's no Unix for the GS.

If there really is this new newsgroup, I'd be interested to hear what it's all
about.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | Being is Mathematics
Senior/Computer Engineering | Love is Chemistry

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (01/15/91)

In article <1991Jan14.230605.23871@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> bazyar@ernie (Jawaid Bazyar) writes:
>If this is true, it's not made it to this site.  I somehow really doubt this.
>No, there's no Unix for the GS.
>
>If there really is this new newsgroup, I'd be interested to hear what it's all
>about.

Someone has been propogating dozens of bogus newsgroups lately. I
strongly suspect that comp.unix.appleiigs is one of those.

Bob Church
bchurch@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (01/15/91)

I saw it, and there was a posting from one other person so far, asking what
the group was for.  He figured that it would be for discussion the port of
Unix to the GS.

philip@yunexus.yorku.ca (Phil McDunnough) (01/15/91)

In article <91015.000853AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET> AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET writes:
>I saw it, and there was a posting from one other person so far, asking what
>the group was for.  He figured that it would be for discussion the port of
>Unix to the GS.

The last thing we need is Unix on the GS. The Finder is a very nice
windowing system( especially when compared to X).

There are many more important items, such as TeX, an equation editor ,a
tektronics emulator, a GS/OS communications' program,....Please get off
this Unix thing. If you want Unix, get a PC, NeXT( I did),etc...

Unix is not everything. The overhead is not small. Some of the utilities
are quite nice and perhaps a few equivalent ones could be implemented.

As for Mathematica, forget it.

The GS is a personal computer, not a computer centre.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions...]

ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan14.230605.23871@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> bazyar@ernie (Jawaid Bazyar) writes:
>If this is true, it's not made it to this site.  I somehow really doubt this.
>No, there's no Unix for the GS.
>
>If there really is this new newsgroup, I'd be interested to hear what it's all
>about.

It made it here, although there aren't any articles explaining what it's all
about. Maybe someone wants to port Unix to the GS? It would be a nice thought,
especially with all this talk of an MMU.

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu        |     "My ganglion is stuck in

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (01/16/91)

Gee whiz Phil, settle down a bit.   A just reiterated what somebody else said,
and you throw your back out in opposition to the idea.

Well then what IS the purpose of that group?

In article <42563@ut-emx.uucp> ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:
>In article <1991Jan14.230605.23871@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> bazyar@ernie (Jawaid Bazyar) writes:
>>If this is true, it's not made it to this site.  I somehow really doubt this.
>>No, there's no Unix for the GS.
>>If there really is this new newsgroup, I'd be interested to hear what it's all
>>about.
>It made it here, although there aren't any articles explaining what it's all
>about. Maybe someone wants to port Unix to the GS? It would be a nice thought,
>especially with all this talk of an MMU.

	I asked the UseNet administrator here about it, because the group hadn't
reached UCSC yet.

	He said that there was a new group message sent around, but was
almost immediately rmgrouped (i.e. deleted), because it had not gone through
the proper voting channels.

	Seems reasonable.. Now is anyone willing to hold a vote to formally
create this group? Should be interesting.. Marek and Jawaid could probably
talk a lot more specifically about their 8 bit semi-UNIX and 68851 PMMU,
respectively.
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. /

mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Michael Heintz) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan14.230605.23871@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> bazyar@ernie (Jawaid Bazyar) writes:
>If this is true, it's not made it to this site.  I somehow really doubt this.
>No, there's no Unix for the GS.
>
>If there really is this new newsgroup, I'd be interested to hear what it's all
>about.

I can find the newsgroup on our list of completely unsubscribed newsgroups,
but our program tells me it doesn't exist!!  Any other newsgroup on the list
can be subscribed to, except that one.

Look into this...the name of the newsgroup is: comp.unix.appleIIgs
(not comp.unix.appleiigs - sometimes the system is VERY picky)!

Let me know what you find, I had no luck!

Michael Heintz
mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu

cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp (Matthew Curtin) (01/16/91)

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET writes:

> I saw it, and there was a posting from one other person so far, asking what
> the group was for.  He figured that it would be for discussion the port of
> Unix to the GS.

This is what I also figured.  I'm all for a GS version of UNIX.  THAT
would be a piece of software that could push the GS to its limits.  (Of
course, I don't think I'd be too happy to try UNIX on my GS without
getting it up to at LEAST 8MHz...)

---
C. Matthew Curtin                               P.O. Box 27081
cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp                          Columbus, OH  43227
cmcurtin@pro-tcc.cts.com                        Apple II Forever!

cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp (Matthew Curtin) (01/17/91)

unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

> 	I asked the UseNet administrator here about it, because the group hadn't
> reached UCSC yet.
>
> 	He said that there was a new group message sent around, but was
> almost immediately rmgrouped (i.e. deleted), because it had not gone through
> the proper voting channels.
>
> 	Seems reasonable.. Now is anyone willing to hold a vote to formally
> create this group? Should be interesting.. Marek and Jawaid could probably
> talk a lot more specifically about their 8 bit semi-UNIX and 68851 PMMU,
> respectively.

I would like to vote for it, if one is actually necessary.  On my system
here, I can still get on it, although there is ZERO activity.  I've heard
a little about the "8 bit semi-UNIX" systems, but I'd like to see a more
powerful GS version.  And maybe we could get someone to do it (or, more
likely, a group)...  That'd be a good place to talk about what the users
would like to see in it.

---

ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/18/91)

In article <7029@crash.cts.com> dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com (Daniel Zimmerman) writes:
>Where'd you find the Comp.Unix.AppleIIGS newsfeed? Strange that they'd have it
>unless there really is UNIX for the GS (A/UX GS? Nah... :)  I'd like to get a
>hold of that feed...

It was doing fine here a couple of days ago, but it just went bogus here
today.

--

nrunyon%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (The Bard's Mystic Song) (01/19/91)

In article <7029@crash.cts.com> dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com (Daniel Zimmerman) writes:
>Where'd you find the Comp.Unix.AppleIIGS newsfeed?

You don't find it...although the systems seem to treat it as a real newsgroup,
the system also says it is a "bogus newgroup", so just ignore it.

>Daniel M. Zimmerman             InterNet - dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com
>  TFF Enterprises       America Online - Surak TFF    CompuServe - 76407,2246

	Neil -

Neil M. Runyon		      |Apple IIgs WOZ edition
University of Utah - CS Dept  |	Go Orioles! 3 months until Spring Training...
nrunyon@peruvian.utah.edu     |	How 'bout a game of Xtrek???

mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Michael Heintz) (01/19/91)

I checked the list of active newsgroups at my feed today, and it appears
that comp.unix.appleIIgs, whatever it may have been, has ceased to exist.
I cannot find the newsgroup anywhere (and I was NEVER able to subscribe
to it).  I guess we can write this one off as another sick joke!

Michael Heintz
mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu

In article <7029@crash.cts.com> dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com (Daniel Zimmerman) writes:
>Where'd you find the Comp.Unix.AppleIIGS newsfeed? Strange that they'd have it
>unless there really is UNIX for the GS (A/UX GS? Nah... :)  I'd like to get a

	As I said before, this does not really exist.. Or rather, it will
not exist for long at the few places it may be remaining.

	A rmgroup message was sent out because this was not properly voted
on and created...

	If someone WANTS to create a voting period, I'd vote for it..  I
just don't want to be the person who takes votes..

	by the way, the create-group message was sent out from UCSC...
Someone faked it in response to my claims of UNIX (or semi-UNIX) by
Marek P(blahblah)ski... I always talk about how great the Apple //s are
here, and other people who disagree with me always argue with me. I
-really- want to see a working GS UNIX that does EVERYTHING 'regular'
UNIX does (rather than the more_powerful_than_most_but_still_only_a_shell_
emulating_csh by Marek)... It'll be a great "I told you so"...

	So it seems that this prank might come to some useful fruition, if
we actually do vote and make a group!