[comp.sys.apple2] UNIX on LocalTalk?

cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp (Matthew Curtin) (01/18/91)

Hello:-)

I have a IIgs, am planning to get another and a UNIX machine.  Can I
network the three all on LocalTalk?  It seems it would be easiest, as it's
built into the GS (and Macs - oops! I said the "M" word!):-)

| C. Matthew Curtin             ! "This is a strange game.  The only way to   |
| P.O. Box 27081                ! win is not to play."  -Joshua               |
| Columbus, OH 43227-0081       !---------------------------------------------|
| cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp _______!______________Apple_II_Forever!______________|

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (01/19/91)

cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp (Matthew Curtin) writes:

>I have a IIgs, am planning to get another and a UNIX machine.  Can I
>network the three all on LocalTalk?  It seems it would be easiest, as it's
>built into the GS (and Macs - oops! I said the "M" word!):-)

Depends on what you want to do and how much you're willing to spend. The
unix boxes mostly use ethernet, which is a totally different beast than
localtalk.

The usual bridge between the two is a FastPath (formerly by kinetics, now
by Shiva), but there are quite a few other available now, all of them geared
towards mac networks. There are no hardware compatibility problems here.

The problem is in the software. Appleshare file servers for unix are not that
robust or well supported (PD from rutgers...) and their support of ProDOS file
type info is minimal; this means that you can write a file to the server but
you can't read it back with finder. Programs which ignore the file type of
the files they read can retrieve files from the server (I've got one), but
they aren't very convenient.

However, things are looking up -- I know someone who's gotten the rutgers
package to compile and run from a user account on a NeXT; I'm in the process
of getting an account on our NeXT cluster so I can play around with the ProDOS
support. I know where most of the patches need to be made, but I couldn't
figure out how to get it to compile on our Sun cluster, possibly because I
have a normal acount.

If and when I get things working, rest assured I will be publicizing it here.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu