[comp.sys.apple2] MMU thoughts and a new idea

rbannon@mira.acs.calpoly.edu (Roy Bannon) (01/21/91)

In article <9032@uwm.edu> mcgu5464@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Ronald J Mcguire) writes:
>I hate to rain on anyones parade, but with talks of the MMU
>project taking shape, how much will it cost for the finished
>product? I really *want* to have a multifinder and be able
>to do a primitive multitasking, but the question is will I be
>able to afford it when its done? The way you guys seem to be
>going is the add a little of this, and a little of this...
>which seems to me like the card will be up in the $500 range.
>No matter how bad I want it, I can't afford that, especially
>when you add on your labor, etc... R&D.... Is this project
>really feasable, or is it going to be another, "I told you so!"

Well, I hope it doesn't cost THAT much.  After this next statement
you can tell I'm never going to make it in the business world, but here
it is anyway.  If this thing works, I'd be willing to sell it at a cost
of parts.  IE no charge for my time during development or to build the
thing.

A local place here in town will cut pc boards for an intial cost of $100
plus a charge for each board based on what the board is like.  Seeing how
it should be pretty small, I don't think fab costs will be that much (
nobody hold me to that explicitly).

Anyway, the project continues in mostly the thinking phase.

Progress reports to follow.

Roy