[comp.sys.apple2] RF modulator question

DCS4@psuvm.psu.edu (Dave Shaffer) (01/20/91)

I have an Apple IIe with a monochrome monitor. I was thinking of
using a color TV as an alternate monitor for applications that
would be appropriate for a color screen. The manual says I would
need a radio-frequency (RF) modulator "which you can purchase
from your Apple dealer." What exactly does such a device do, what
do they cost, and what alternate sources are there? Are there pros
and cons in using one? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

   =   DCS4@PSUVM or DCS4@PSUADMIN      Voice at (814) 375-4775   =
   =  Penn State DuBois Campus  College Place  DuBois, PA  15801  =

In article <91019.213632DCS4@psuvm.psu.edu> DCS4@psuvm.psu.edu (Dave Shaffer) writes:
>I have an Apple IIe with a monochrome monitor. I was thinking of
>using a color TV as an alternate monitor for applications that
>would be appropriate for a color screen. The manual says I would
>need a radio-frequency (RF) modulator "which you can purchase
>from your Apple dealer." What exactly does such a device do, what
>do they cost, and what alternate sources are there? Are there pros
>and cons in using one? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

	For one thing, it won't look very good on a color TV. I used to
do it, but you couldn't read text very well.. For games, it's worth buying
a cable, I guess..

	An RF modulator just converts the frequency of your output
signal to channel 2 or 3, I believe...

	It's just a little box gizmo that you can get at Radio Shaft...

	But you probably ALREADY have one, if you have an Atari 2600 or
any other kind of videogame.

	It probably won't cost more than $5-$10 at most.
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. /

SHBOUM@MACALSTR.EDU (01/20/91)

On Saturday January 19, Dave Shaffer asks

> I have an Apple IIe with a monochrome monitor. I was thinking of
> using a color TV as an alternate monitor for applications that
> would be appropriate for a color screen. The manual says I would
> need a radio-frequency (RF) modulator "which you can purchase
> from your Apple dealer." What exactly does such a device do, what
> do they cost, and what alternate sources are there? Are there pros
> and cons in using one? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

	As in an earlier message, you can get them from any apple dealer or
Radio Shack "America's favorite store for junk shopping." But if your
television has a video line in jack, all you have to buy is an RCA cable and
connect the video out in the IIe to the video in on the TV. I hooked in
my IIGS through my 20' television this way. It didn't look too bad either!!!
{Although the white pilliars in the Chicago mansion looked like Disco lights!}
Even a couple of the 3200 color pics came out with repectable quality. {But
this was a good television too...} However, all in all, while this does
provide a cheaper color monitor for your IIe, in the end, you get what you
pay for - a cheap color monitor.

tomk@pro-grouch.cts.com (Tom Kelly) (01/21/91)

A RF modulator allows you to connect your computer to a Color TV  it usually
outputs on channel 3 or 4.  It plugs into the motherboard and them a cable goes
to a switch box on the like those used to play video game  on a TV (remember
PONG?)   A simpler way is to connect the video output from computer to a VCR
and watch the display on the TV.

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!tomk
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!tomk@nosc.mil