[comp.sys.apple2] Applications. What I mean.

gentrys@infonode.ingr.com (Scott Gentry) (01/17/91)

I'd like to thank everyone who has responded to my request for Applications
needed for the IIGS.  I do have one minor point to make.  Some have requested
entire operating systems, CDA's, and NDA's.  These, in _my_ mind, by _my_
definition, are not applications in the classic sense.  By application, I mean
a stand alone program that will run in concert with the current and future
releases of GS/OS.

Now, to summarize some do-able ideas I've heard so far.

1. GS/OS desktop terminal/telecomm program.  This would be a good project since
it would allow many, including me, to learn just how to do such a thing
properly.

2. An animation package for the GS.  This _really_ lights _my_ fire.  Apple is
supposed to be working on an Animation Toolkit for the IIGS (they showed an
early version at KansasFest) but no release or other information is available
at this time.  I think such a package just might fly even if Apple doesn't
release the animation toolkit in a timely manner.

There were other items mentioned, however, a lot of the items didn't fall into
a marketable category or did not fit the "Application" definition, above. I'd
also like to ask you all to please include what you'd be willing to pay for
such applications.  Bottom line: Keep those suggestions coming folks!  I can't
promise I'll do them, but I will listen.

To the person who wanted a file control CDA, check out FileTools version 1.1 by
Floyd "I'm not an AI unit" Zink.  It's pretty neat!
--
*Scott Gentry             |UUCP:uunet!ingr!gentrys    |                   *
*Intergraph Corporation   |America Online: AFL Scott  |I speak for myself *

In article <28042.chatter.infoapple@pro-beagle> lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com (Laer Haider) writes:
>        A FULL FEATURED word processor.  One that does footnotes or endnotes,
>widow/orphan protection,  WYSIWYG display with graphics, etc.  Basically, all
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

	What is this?? Sort of like sticky spaces or 'grouping' something
like a chart that shouldn't be cut in the middle for a new page?

>functionality found in ProTERM, and with Bi-Modem capability.  There's an
	Bi-Modem?

	Is that transferring while chatting? There are already programs
that do that I -think-.
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. /

jeffb@world.std.com (Jeffrey T Berntsen) (01/21/91)

unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>In article <28042.chatter.infoapple@pro-beagle> lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com (Laer Haider) writes:
>>        A FULL FEATURED word processor.  One that does footnotes or endnotes,
>>widow/orphan protection,  WYSIWYG display with graphics, etc.  Basically, all

>	What is this?? Sort of like sticky spaces or 'grouping' something
>like a chart that shouldn't be cut in the middle for a new page?

Widow & orphan protection is a means to eliminate the very annoying habit
some word processors have of leaving one line of a paragraph at the beginning
or end of a page and the rest on a different page.  I know the PC version of
WordPerfect has widow & orphan protection.  Maybe the Apple version has it too.
Jeffrey T. Berntsen                  | Looking for a good .sig
jeffb@world.std.com                  |