[comp.sys.apple2] Gifs

awg0971@ritvax.isc.rit.edu (GOTTLOB, AW) (01/17/91)

I have been trying for a while now to use GIFs from many FTP sites and none of
them have been working. The biggest FTP site was ticsys.tamu.edu which has
hundreds. By the color count, some seem to be from the Mac. But if I try to
convert them, SHR convert gives me an unknown error. ANy help on this or info
on a good GIF site for Apple ][s would be most appriciated.

                            -King Lerch

jpenne@ee.ualberta.ca (Jerry Penner) (01/20/91)

In article <1991Jan17.001415.18763@isc.rit.edu> awg0971@ritvax.isc.rit.edu writes:
>I have been trying for a while now to use GIFs from many FTP sites and none of
>them have been working. The biggest FTP site was ticsys.tamu.edu which has
>hundreds. By the color count, some seem to be from the Mac. But if I try to
>convert them, SHR convert gives me an unknown error. ANy help on this or info
>on a good GIF site for Apple ][s would be most appriciated.
>
>                            -King Lerch

Well, the first thing to ask yourself is, "Did I set binary mode?".  FTPing
text files should be done in ASCII mode but when sending GIFs or other
"binary" based files, you must set binary mode so that certain characters
do not get translated into something else during the transfer.  Usually, the
0x0A chars get translated into 0x0D's or vice versa.  Whatever, it will
screw up your GIF.  The second thing to ask is?  How are you transferring
from your host system (Unix, VMS, ???) to your Apple?  Some things, like
Unix Xmodem also deal with binary or text files, and again you must set
binary mode for the above reason.  Hope that helps.
--
-------------
    Jerry Penner	alberta!bode!jpenne	Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

SHBOUM@MACALSTR.EDU (01/20/91)

 writes:
>I have been trying for a while now to use GIFs from many FTP sites and none of
>them have been working. The biggest FTP site was ticsys.tamu.edu which has
>hundreds. By the color count, some seem to be from the Mac. But if I try to
>convert them, SHR convert gives me an unknown error. ANy help on this or info
>on a good GIF site for Apple ][s would be most appriciated.
>
>                            -King Lerch

	As mentioned in an earlier article, do make sure that all the
transferring is done in binary. Also make sure that there are no macintosh
headers on the gif files {a mac program} as these mess up the Apple's gif
viewers. To check and make sure that there are no headers in the file, after
downloading the file, use ProTERM {or any other program that can type files}
and check the first part of the file. If the file does not start out with
GIF8xx. {xx being wild}, then you have a header. I believe that there are
programs to strip this header. If anyone would like to obtain it,
let me know.
	Also, unless you want to display the GIFS on a graphic system
better than the IIGS - i.e. a 256 color mac - GIFS of size over 100K aren't
going to be appropiate for the IIGS right now. Perhaps LHG might change all
that. Maybe we can start a II gif archive for Gifs that look well on the
II's...

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (01/22/91)

In article <D04CA2D9FFFF008D33@MACALSTR.EDU> SHBOUM@MACALSTR.EDU writes:
>Also make sure that there are no macintosh headers on the gif files
>{a mac program} as these mess up the Apple's gif viewers.

What I recommend for creators of GIF viewers is that they scan the
purported GIF file until the "GIF" header is seen, rather than assuming
that the header starts at byte zero.  This solves the !*(&%^$ MacBinary
header problem.