[comp.sys.apple2] RS-232-C

rxtmsc@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Mark Chapman) (01/21/91)

From article <7030@crash.cts.com>, by crew@pro-harvest.cts.com (Chris Wicklein):

>    How do I convert GS/Mac Mini-8 to RS-232-C. Specifically, I need the Mini-8
> position/wire color to RS-232-C pin connection chart. Thanks Much!
>  ________________________                          _________________________
> |                         ProLine: crew@pro-harvest                         |
> |                    Internet: crew@pro-harvest.cts.com                     |
> |                       UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!crew                        |
> |                  ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!crew@nosc.mil                    |
> |_______________ BITNET: crew%pro-harvest.cts.com@nosc.mil _________________|

The mini din pinout is:  1 DTR
			 2 DSR
			 3 TXD-
			 4 GND
			 5 RXD-
			 6 TXD+
			 7 N/C
			 8 RXD+

 By RS-232 do you mean DB25 if so this is the convert I use;
    Mini Din        DB25
     1               20
     3               2
     4               7
     5               3
     7               8

Hope this Helps.

Mark Chapman
Technical Officer
Rmit - Victoria University of Technology
rxtmsc@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au

			 *Standard Disclamer etc*

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) (01/22/91)

There is one problem with giving the mini-8 pinouts without a diagram -
I have seen 2 or three diagrams with totally different numbering
schemes, all in official Apple Computer, Inc. Manuals.  To be specific
about the pinouts given:
DTR and DSR are the 2 pins on the bottom.  TxD+ and RxD+ are the pins
you want to use for normal RS-232 communications; they're the two end
pins on the top row.  The center pin is ground.  TxD- and RxD- are on
the ends of the middle row; they're not especially useful, and most
cables leave them unconnected.  Finally, the top center pin (pin 7) is
actually DCD on the IIgs, but some sources claim that it is not
connected on Macintoshes.  I haven't tried it on Macs, but I know it IS
connected on the IIgs.  I believe the numbering reads left-to-right as
you are facing the back of the computer, but I'm not sure.  And don't
rely on the numbers on the connector on the IIgs; they probably use aw
different numbering scheme than the one in the IIgs owner's manual.
Actually, don't trust me on using the positive data lines either; I
think that's how I did it last weekend, but I don't remember for sure.
Good luck!
--------------------
Jeffrey Hutzelman			America Online: JeffreyH11
Internet: jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu		BITNET: JHUTZ@DRYCAS

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (01/22/91)

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) writes:

>DTR and DSR are the 2 pins on the bottom.  TxD+ and RxD+ are the pins
>you want to use for normal RS-232 communications; they're the two end
>Actually, don't trust me on using the positive data lines either; I
>think that's how I did it last weekend, but I don't remember for sure.

Use the negative data lines. RS-232-C Transmits inverted data, and RS-422
(the mini 8 pin standard) transmits both true (+) and inverted (-) data
together for speed over long distances.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu