[comp.sys.apple2] The Old Octo-RAM card--HELP!!!

EWINGRA@CTRVAX.VANDERBILT.EDU (01/19/91)

My GS (upgraded from its old //e days) has an MDIDeas OctoRAM card
in it.  It used ti have two megs, but since I upgraded my Mac II to
a IIfx, I had some spare memory to take my GS up to 4 megs on the OctoRAM
board.  But I've misplaced my instruction card that had the memory
jumper assignments is missing, and I need to know that the correct
orientation for my card configuration is.

Again, I have 4 1-meg SIMMS in the 1st four slots on the left side
(i assume this is correct), and I need to know what the correct
orientation the 5 jumpers that configure the memory so that I can be
up and running again.  Thanks for any help in this matter.  I'm tearing
my apartment apart to find the instruction card, but still no success.

--Rick Ewing
  Vanderbilt University

tribby@hpindwa.cup.hp.com (David Tribby) (01/22/91)

Rick Ewing writes...
> My GS (upgraded from its old //e days) has an MDIDeas OctoRAM card
> in it.  It used ti have two megs, but since I upgraded my Mac II to
> a IIfx, I had some spare memory to take my GS up to 4 megs on the OctoRAM
> board.  But I've misplaced my instruction card that had the memory
> jumper assignments is missing, and I need to know that the correct
> orientation for my card configuration is.

I misplaced my instructions, and some folks on the net were nice enough to
help me out. Here's my notes showing how the 5 switches should be set

# of 256K SIMMs:	1	2	4	8
	Switch 1      xxx     xxx     xxx       xxx
	       2      xxx     xxx     xxx     xxx
	       3      xxx     xxx     xxx     xxx
	       4      xxx       xxx     xxx     xxx
	       5      xxx     xxx       xxx     xxx

# of 1Meg SIMMs:	1	2	4	8
	Switch 1      xxx     xxx     xxx       xxx
	       2        xxx     xxx     xxx     xxx
	       3        xxx     xxx     xxx     xxx
	       4      xxx       xxx     xxx     xxx
	       5      xxx     xxx       xxx     xxx

For example, if you have four 1-Meg SIMMs installed, the top switch
should be in the left position and the rest should be to the right.

> Again, I have 4 1-meg SIMMS in the 1st four slots on the left side
> (i assume this is correct), and I need to know what the correct

You load the SIMMs starting with the two slots on the right side, then
top-to-bottom on the left side.

Funny how easy it is to misplace the instruction sheet!

-- Dave Tribby

ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/22/91)

In article <54240026@hpindwa.cup.hp.com> tribby@hpindwa.cup.hp.com (David Tribby) writes:
 [discussion of switch settings on a Octo-RAM card]

>Funny how easy it is to misplace the instruction sheet!
>
>-- Dave Tribby

Now, you didn't pirate the OctoRAM, did you :-) :-)

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu        |     "My ganglion is stuck in