[comp.sys.apple2] ftp...Help!

crane@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Stephen Crane) (01/25/91)

I recently read an article from this group about frequently asked
questions. It explained how to get BinSCII off of tybalt.caltech.edu in
executioner format.  I followed the directions, but when I tried to get
BinSCII, the response was that it was not in that directory.  Even if I
had gotten the file transferred to my host computer, I doubt I would have
figured out how to download it to my IIgs.  Could someone explain to me
what I'm doing wrong?  The system I'm on runs in UNIX.  Pretend you're
explaining this to someone who doesn't know *anything* about UNIX, because
you are.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen Crane				"There are people in this world
crane@casbah.acns.nwu.edu		 who do not love their fellow man,
					 and I *HATE* people like that."
							-- Tom Lehrer

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (01/25/91)

crane@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Stephen Crane) writes:

>I recently read an article from this group about frequently asked
>questions. It explained how to get BinSCII off of tybalt.caltech.edu in
>executioner format.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^ wrong. Somebody fix the FAQ post please!

the binscii.exe file on tybalt is NOT executioner. last summer I was trying
to help a couple of people whose download path make executioner dizzy. I wrote
an auto-extracter of my own that is entirely in applesoft (basic.system) and
is more robust than executioner (albeit slower; the idea is to get binscii
running so you can use it for everything else).

> I followed the directions, but when I tried to get
>BinSCII, the response was that it was not in that directory.

ftp [131.215.139.100]           (or ftp tybalt.caltech.edu)
anonymous
user@node.place.domain
cd pub/apple2
get binscii.exe

If the above doesn't work (try the ftp without the [] also) then something
is really wrong. Also

get binscii.txt

which is a tutorial I wrote about binscii and the binscii.exe file itself.
The tutorial sort of assumes that the .exe file is appended to it when it
talks about the .exe file -- this is because I usually mail them to people
with the tutorial and the .exe appended after it.

I can't help you with downloading unless I know what terminal program you're
using.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu