[comp.sys.apple2] Someone looking for a small project?

lwv27@CAS.BITNET (01/24/91)

If you are looking for a project, here is one which I think would
be GREAT!

There is a pgm written for Mac, Atari, Amiga (I think) and probably IBM PC
called UW (stands for Unix Windows).  It uses the personal computer's
windowing capabilities to provide a multiplexing 4 window channel to a
BSD based unix system.  Basically, you log in with one window, then the
BSD system sends back commands to tell UW to open the up to 4 login windows.

It is a neat setup, which allows downloading in one window while doing other
things in the other windows.

You should be able to find the source code on any of the
many Mac archive sites.  having a multi-windowing comm pgm
to Unix would be beneficial to many folks out there I would think...
--
Larry W. Virden                 UUCP: osu-cis!chemabs!lwv27
Same Mbox: BITNET: lwv27@cas    INET: lwv27%cas.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu

rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) (01/25/91)

In article <9101241409.AA29799@lilac.berkeley.edu>, lwv27@CAS.BITNET writes:
> There is a pgm written for Mac, Atari, Amiga (I think) and probably IBM PC
> called UW (stands for Unix Windows).  It uses the personal computer's
> windowing capabilities to provide a multiplexing 4 window channel to a
> BSD based unix system.  Basically, you log in with one window, then the
> BSD system sends back commands to tell UW to open the up to 4 login windows.

I had it running on my ST for awhile, but it had a few quirks:

1.) Only offered adm-3a emulation, which made it a pain to telnet to a VAX
from the Unix box.

2.) If your downloading in a window, don't plan on doing anything else in
any window.

3.) It only works with 4.2 and 4.3 version of Unix, not system V

If you really want to do it, a better prg is screen, for the Unix systems.
It works with any term prg on your end...

            o__)\			     rlcollins@miavx1.BITNET
           /     )			      RC1DSANU@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu
          /     /  ____                       R.COLLINS1  (On GEnie)
                      /)			[ || ]   Atari Computers,
      "There is no Substitute."                 [ || ]    They're not just
 Vs lbh pna ernq guvf, lbh'er geniryvat        // || \\   for breakfast
            gbb pybfr!                        //  ||  \\  anymore