[comp.sys.apple2] DAT storage Devices

digdug@IASTATE.EDU (01/25/91)

With the coming of DAT players, will this mean that there will be DAT
storage devices for computers?

Later,
Doug

yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Yong Su Kim) (01/25/91)

They already have DAT storage devices for other computers.  For
example, you can get DAT backup devices for Sun workstations.  They
have been around for quite some time.

|Internet: yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu        |||||||||||Yong Su Kim||||||||||||
|Bitnet  : yk4@cunixc			     |||||The Korean from Hong Kong||||
|UUCP    : uunet!rutgers!columbia!cunixc!yk4 |||||||...Apple IIGS user...||||||
|____________________________________________||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

bazyar@ernie (Jawaid Bazyar) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan24.193805.6700@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Yong Su Kim) writes:
>They already have DAT storage devices for other computers.  For
>example, you can get DAT backup devices for Sun workstations.  They
>have been around for quite some time.

  Since DAT is likely to never catch on because of the crap that Congress
had to go through because of the record industry, I doubt it will ever
be cost effective for computer backup.  However, the Sun at my lab has
a Sony Video-8 backup system.  They've put five backups onto ONE tape.
A total of about 2.5GIGAbytes.  Only good for streaming backup, but then
it would make backups a snap!

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | "I'm sure K&R have never heard of Mike."
Senior/Computer Engineering |

rcs00455@zach.fit.edu (Kevin Anderson / Lazlo Hollyfeld) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan24.123542@IASTATE.EDU> digdug@IASTATE.EDU writes:

>With the coming of DAT players, will this mean that there will be DAT
>storage devices for computers?
>
>Later,
>Doug

There are tape backup units that use DAT tapes for storage and
that are currently available.  According to MacWorld, the
storage capacity of a DAT tape is 1.3GB; quite a lot of data
for a little tape.  I'm not sure how much a DAT tape costs, but
it can't be that much, and 1.3GB is a LOT of data.  This isn't
useful for your average computer user however since most people
don't have to back up 1.3GB of data (how many floppies is that :-)

Kevin Anderson

) (01/25/91)

Well... Dec already has some out for there VAX  level and Workstation models...

Sony is manufactuing a SCSI DAT that will be available as of the First of Dec

msus1::in%"bitftp@pucc"

ooopss{...

ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan24.123542@IASTATE.EDU> digdug@IASTATE.EDU writes:

>With the coming of DAT players, will this mean that there will be DAT
>storage devices for computers?
>
>Later,
>Doug

There are DAT storage devices for computers... There are a couple SCSI
backups systems available. One tape stores a little more than a gigabyte,
I think. They are rather expensive now, though, and slightly slow, but it is
better than floppies... Have you tried to backup a gigabyte on floppies :-)

However, there aren't any Apple II drivers available for DAT backup systems,
so currently, DAT tape drives are more or less unusable on Apple IIs.

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu        |     "My ganglion is stuck in

meekins@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (timothy lee meekins) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan24.123542@IASTATE.EDU> you write:

>With the coming of DAT players, will this mean that there will be DAT
>storage devices for computers?

Yup, Here at Ohio State we are using Video 8 and DAT tapes for backups.
Don't ask me any details about it, though.

--
|/ Tim Meekins                  <<>> Snail Mail:           <<>>  Apple II  \|