[comp.sys.apple2] NTSC -> RGB converter

THINGVOL@LAX.WISC.EDU (01/25/91)

In October 1990 issue of Radio Electronics, there is an article on building
a video converter for your computer monitor. From looking at the article,
the AppleColor RGB monitor pretty much fits the bill for the converter but
a little rewiring of the cable needs to be done. I am wondering if the red
, green, & blue composite grounds can be hooked to a common ground? If so,
then circuit could work and you could watch video thru your monitor (h
which cost as much a new tv.

Daniel Thingvold  thingvol@lax.wisc.edu  thingvol@uwlax.bitnet

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (01/25/91)

THINGVOL@LAX.WISC.EDU writes:

>a little rewiring of the cable needs to be done. I am wondering if the red
>, green, & blue composite grounds can be hooked to a common ground? If so,

Yes, they can. The monitor jack in the GS has all three grounds wired to the
system common ground.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan25.092835.29090@nntp-server.caltech.edu> toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>THINGVOL@LAX.WISC.EDU writes:
>
>>a little rewiring of the cable needs to be done. I am wondering if the red
>>, green, & blue composite grounds can be hooked to a common ground? If so,
>
>Yes, they can. The monitor jack in the GS has all three grounds wired to the
>system common ground.
>
>Todd Whitesel
>toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

OK, that solves one problem... what about the horizontal scanning rate?
The article says that it needs 15.75KHz, and the AppleColor manual says
that it scans at 15.73somethingKHz (see my previous article for the exact
number). Will this be a problem? Can the horizontal hold knob compensate for
it?

BTW, my email address has changed...
it's daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu        |     "My ganglion is stuck in

THINGVOL@LAX.WISC.EDU (01/26/91)

The horizontal scan rate (15750 Hz) should be no problem. Just turn the knob
on the back of the monitor. I have my monitor set at 50 Hz and had to adjust
for the scrolling.

Daniel Thingvold  thingvol@lax.wisc.edu
                          @uwlax.bitnet

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/28/91)

In article <7792@plains.NoDak.edu> msuacm@plains.NoDak.edu (MSU ACM Student Chapter) writes:
>Is there any sort of device available that will allow one to transfer
>RGB signals to NTSC signals?  I often record CD's and other forms of music
>onto Hi-Fi Videotape (no tape flips and almost as good as CD) but would
>like to be able to capture a video signal onto onto the unused video tracks.
>A friend of mine has a 386SX (sorry - I have a //e :)  ) but would like
>to add some of those mind-bending pallette-switching tricks to the
>tape just for grins.  I know the resolution isn't as good, but it's worth
>a try.  An interesting trick for you hi-fi freaks with graphics demos
>(zip-chips preferred) is to recording music that way but take the video
>output from your apple running something like Fire Organ.  Anyone
>remember that oldie???
>
>Sorry about this ranting if anyone found it stupid
>Eric Ondler
><msuacm@plains.nodak.edu>

Yes, there is something that will do that... I saw it in another issue
of Radio-Electronics magazine (pretty sure that it's before October 90).
I assume you want to get the RGB off of the 386SX's video card, not the
//e. The only problem is that the RGB signal has to scan at the same rate
as the NTSC signal, and only CGA does that :-(
However, if you mean that you want to get the RGB off of the //e (not too
many people of RGB cards in their //e's), it might be easier to get it from
the composite video output instead.

BTW, I've tried recording the FTA Xmas demo on videotape... it looks OK, but
I think the program is really messing with the VGC or the NTSC generator in
the GS, since there is a line between the graphics screen and the border
and the screen shifts vertically whenever the text starts to scroll in the
border. It looks really nice on the RGB monitor though.

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          |     "My ganglion is stuck in