[comp.sys.apple2] Applications: What you'd like to see

scottg@gnh-starport.cts.com (Scott Gentry) (01/12/91)

Since the start, the perception in general seems to be that there aren't
applications available for the the Apple IIGS.  In response to this, I'd like
to ask, very sincerely, just what applications users would like to see?  I
asked this question on America Online and _nobody_ answered.  The one
category of application that I don't really want to hear about is the game.  It
is my belief that it is a tiring battle to get a game published on the IIGS, so
please limit responses to productivity applications since publication of
applications isn't as uphill a climb.

My purpose is to try to get a general feeling about what needs to be done to
"raise the stakes" in the IIGS market.  So, please, before answering the one
question asked above, think about your response in terms of what _you_ need to
make the GS a more productive machine for you.  Additionally, think of a price
range for such an application.

If you desire, you can email your response to me at:
uunet!ingr!ne1300!brnded!scott or at the address in the .sig entry below.

Thank you!

| Scott Gentry                * ALPE   AFL Scott         *  I never said that!|
| 2051 Mercator Drive         * GEnie  W.GENTRY          *     But you never  |
| Reston, VA 22091            * UUCP: uunet!ingr!ne1300! *         know!      |
| (703) 264-5652              *       brnded!scott       *        Do You?     |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

johns@pro-library.cts.com (System Administrator) (01/13/91)

> Since the start, the perception in general seems to be that there aren't
> applications available for the the Apple IIGS.  In response to this, I'd like
> to ask, very sincerely, just what applications users would like to see?  I
> <stuff deleted>
> My purpose is to try to get a general feeling about what needs to be done to
> "raise the stakes" in the IIGS market.  So, please, before answering the one
> question asked above, think about your response in terms of what _you_ need to
> make the GS a more productive machine for you.  Additionally, think of a price
> range for such an application.

Scott,

I would like to see a finder utility to view text for the gs.  There is one
out to view apple preferred, SHR, paintworks graphics by clicking the mouse
twice.  It is called "Finder.View", by Jupiter Systems.  It does not state the
author.  It is sharware, and I believe the fee is only $5, which to me is
worth more, just for being a time saver alone in searching graphic files.
Having one for the ability to do this for text would be great.  I know we have
nda's for this, but with all the conflicts with gsos, maybe someone could come
up with a "Finder.Text".
Number two request of course, would be multitasking capability for the gs,
hopefully compatible with existing software.  It would be really nice to have
this feature running a bbs system, not to mention dl'ing files while finsihing
other projects.  I would not care if it slowed the system down, because I can
make up for some of the loss with a speedup card.  I need multi-function
capabilities, and would be willing to pay well for this feature.
Third, and last request, is a "Text Editor" with a fairly larger buffer.  I
use Proterm alot, like it all around, but am not able to load text files above
32k, I believe it is.  It works really well for all the functions I need in
editing text files, except for the buffer size, and having to load a terminal
program when I don't need one.  Maybe the double click mouse feature could be
included in this one, as in the finder.view above.  With clicking on a file
from the finder, features as in proterm, and a larger buffer, it would be
great for me, and as for price, again I would pay whatever was fair for the
author.  And, thanks for asking....Can I expect them all by next week. :-)

John
----
ProLine: johns@pro-library             | Pro-Library BBS 206/694-3276
UUCP: orgicse!clark!pro-library!johns  | 3/12/2400 baud, 24hr, register
ARPA: crash!pro-library!johns@nosc.mil | Apple*Van, Vancouver, WA.
Inet: johns@pro-library.cts.com        | Vancouver Apple Users Group

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (01/14/91)

johns@pro-library.cts.com (System Administrator) writes:

>I would like to see a finder utility to view text for the gs.  There is one
>out to view apple preferred, SHR, paintworks graphics by clicking the mouse
>Having one for the ability to do this for text would be great.  I know we have

I have one. It's called TextView and I wrote it to figure out how to figure out
which files were double-clicked on.

TextView currently does not page, making it very annoying with large text files
(it wasn't a project in itself, although I think there is enough interest to
warrant me finishing it up once the first LHG beta is ready -- a few days, OK,
unknown?).

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (01/14/91)

From johns@pro-library.cts.com (System Administrator):

> I would like to see a finder utility to view text for the gs.
[..snip..]

> Third, and last request, is a "Text Editor" with a fairly larger buffer.
>  I use Proterm alot, like it all around, but am not able to load text
> files above 32k, I believe it is.  It works really well for all the
> functions I need in editing text files, except for the buffer size, and
> having to load a terminal program when I don't need one.  Maybe the
> double click mouse feature could be included in this one, as in the
> finder.view above.  With clicking on a file from the finder, features as
> in proterm, and a larger buffer, it would be great for me, and as for
> price, again I would pay whatever was fair for the author. And, thanks
> for asking....Can I expect them all by next week. :-)

    There is a good utility called GSXEdit 1.0 recently uploaded to
comp.binaries.apple2.  Although it doesn't support opening files from the
Finder, the author (and damned if I could remember his name...) has that
feature listed in his "have to haves" in the docs.  GSXEdit has great
potential to be an all-purpose text editor.  I think it is the only editor
which will let you change the text and background colour info in Teach
documents.  Worth taking a look at.

Brian T. Tao  {taob@pnet91.cts.com} ||  Computer guru?  Someone who got
University of Metro Toronto         ||  their computer a couple of weeks
Scarberia, ON, MIC 3A8         *B-) ||  before you did.  (Alvin Toffler)

mcgu5464@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Ronald J Mcguire) (01/14/91)

In article <1991Jan13.113530.22929@clark.edu> johns@pro-library.cts.com (System Administrator) writes:
<Stuff from Scotts original post deleted>
 >I would like to see a finder utility to view text for the gs.  There is one
 >out to view apple preferred, SHR, paintworks graphics by clicking the mouse
 >twice.  It is called "Finder.View", by Jupiter Systems.  It does not state the
 >author.  It is sharware, and I believe the fee is only $5, which to me is
 >worth more, just for being a time saver alone in searching graphic files.
 >Having one for the ability to do this for text would be great.  I know we have
 >nda's for this, but with all the conflicts with gsos, maybe someone could come
 >up with a "Finder.Text".

I asked for this a while back, and noone seemed interested. I would also
like to make one suggestion to Jupiter, and wouldn't send in my $5 til
then, that scrolling be added so that you can see *ALL* the file, and not
just part of it. Considering that this is a low level task, executing
toolbox calls, $5 would be about as high as it could go. Of course, this
may discourage authors, but I'm only (if I do) sending in $10 for cosmo
which is a far superior program. (Before you flame me, I don't play games,
and therefore would not have bought the program anyway. If I feel that
I play it enuf in the future...) Small tools like these programs make the
finder *VERY* *VERY* useful. I also have a non-payed for copy of ProSel
which I had to use only once (Mr Fixit when Copy][+ fucked up my sys disk)
and will probably never use again because I like the finder so much.

 >Number two request of course, would be multitasking capability for the gs,

A MMU and MultiFinder would be great! But until then I'd like a NDA that
would print AWGS files. This would alow me to work on my document while
printing it. as NDAs have already proven to run many at once. I don't care
how slow the editing would be, it's still better than nothing, and with a
buffer... This I feel is at least a realistic and specific goal, not
"multitasking" which is quite vague.

Now I've forgotten what my original request was going to be, but you can
be assured that I'll remember it as soon as I power down!

Dan

mcgu5464@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Ronald J Mcguire) (01/14/91)

Now I remember! (I knew that would happen!)

Since the Apple and the Commodore 64 both run off of basicaly the
same processor, I'd like a C64 emulator that would read C64 disks
and run the programs. Basicaly a lot of interuping and repointing
for all the builtin C64 registers. The E wouldn't be able to handle
this, but the GS should. (I have a lot of old EDUCATIONAL software
the 64 that I'd like to run in the classroom where there are only
apples) It would need to handle joystick emulation and everthing.
The GS should be fast enuf for this and since I have 2 meg and will
upgrade soon, doing even a dump of the whole ROMs shouldn't be
unreasonable (considering that no program can use more than 64K
as the 64 is not expandable). This would be ultra tedium tho, and I
don't know if anyone else would be interested, but I may be willing
to pay $25-~60 (as a 64 can be had for under $60). It may be better
suited for a kind soul with nothing better to do with their time...

Dan

jpenne@ee.ualberta.ca (Jerry Penner) (01/15/91)

In article <8906@uwm.edu> mcgu5464@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Ronald J Mcguire) writes:
>Now I remember! (I knew that would happen!)
>
>Since the Apple and the Commodore 64 both run off of basicaly the
>same processor, I'd like a C64 emulator that would read C64 disks
>and run the programs. Basicaly a lot of interuping and repointing
>for all the builtin C64 registers. The E wouldn't be able to handle
>this, but the GS should. (I have a lot of old EDUCATIONAL software
>the 64 that I'd like to run in the classroom where there are only
>apples) It would need to handle joystick emulation and everthing.
>The GS should be fast enuf for this and since I have 2 meg and will
>upgrade soon, doing even a dump of the whole ROMs shouldn't be
>unreasonable (considering that no program can use more than 64K
>as the 64 is not expandable). This would be ultra tedium tho, and I
>don't know if anyone else would be interested, but I may be willing
>to pay $25-~60 (as a 64 can be had for under $60). It may be better
>suited for a kind soul with nothing better to do with their time...
>
>Dan

It would be next to impossible to implement the C=64's text mode because
they have redefinable character sets.  This makes graphical scrolling
very possible at high speed since you're only pushing 2K of memory
around rather than 32K for superhires (which is what you'd need to
emulate it with).  Maybe the other stuff wouldn't be hard to emulate,
the sound is not too complex, but the GS is only 2.5 times as fast.
Maybe if it was 10-20 times as fast, but then there'd be so much good
stuff for the GS that emulating a C=64 wouldn't be even thought of
except maybe as a "just to see if it can be done" type project.
--
-------------
    Jerry Penner	alberta!bode!jpenne	Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

chm114u@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (01/15/91)

In article <8905@uwm.edu>, mcgu5464@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Ronald J Mcguire) writes:
> In article <1991Jan13.113530.22929@clark.edu> johns@pro-library.cts.com (System Administrator) writes:
> <Stuff from Scotts original post deleted>
>  >I would like to see a finder utility to view text for the gs.  There is one
>  >out to view apple preferred, SHR, paintworks graphics by clicking the mouse

There is a freeware program available called "About" and written by some
members of the Wellington Apple Users Group of New Zealand. It is a text reader,
with some file launching ability, which installs an icon in the ICONS folder
which then allows double clicking of text files. It opens the text in a
scrollable window but will only load the first part (I forget how long) of a
large file. It was distributed sometime ago in the disk version of A2-central.
I find it to be a very useful utility which works very well.

Mike.

rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (01/15/91)

Since the start, the perception in general seems to be that there aren't
applications available for the the Apple IIGS.  In response to this, I'd like
to ask, very sincerely, just what applications users would like to see?  I
asked this question on America Online and _nobody_ answered.  The one
category of application that I don't really want to hear about is the game.  It
is my belief that it is a tiring battle to get a game published on the IIGS, so
please limit responses to productivity applications since publication of
applications isn't as uphill a climb.
<<<<

Let's see...

I want Tex, Latex, Framemaker, FLEX, BISON, a decent C++ compiler, Turbo Pascal
(Turbo C++ too, what the heck), a decent assembler (if only Brian Fitzgerald
would finish LISA816), a really good drawing program (Canvas 3.0), TrueType,
Multifinder, a decent mouse-based text editor (simple to use, yet powerful),
ICON, SNOBOL4, SETL, LISP, Prolog, a decent linker, a decent database program
(like 4th Dimension or Omnis 5), ...

Some of these aren't "applications", but you get the idea.
*** Randy Hyde

llee@gnh-starport.cts.com (Larry Lee) (01/17/91)

You want something that operates like FINDER.VIEW.  Ummm, Wings, by Vitesse,
does much of what you are requesting. There is always a disk-catalog on the
desktop, and the filetype is designated by a little icon. When Wings is set in
"Auto mode", it will perform a certain function with a highlighted file is
selected. For instance, if you select a $C0 pic and press return (double click,
etc), Wings will display the picture for you. 320 and 640 modes. It will also
display textfiles and do a wealth of other things that make it an excellent
program.

| ProLine.: llee@gnh-starport           | Millions long for immortality who |
| UUCP....: crash!gnh-starport!llee     | don't know what to do on a rainy  |
| InterNet: llee@gnh-starport.cts.com   | Sunday afternoon.                 |
| AO .....: Watch this space!           |                    -- Susan Ertz  |

shankar@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Subash Shankar) (01/18/91)

In article <14880@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>On my "to do" list is a port of the "sam" editor to the IIGS.  There are
>a few serious obstacles to be overcome, though:
>	1.  It runs as two processes, one to manage the files and one to
>	manage the user interface.  These would have to be merged into a
>	single coordinated process, not an easy job.

This may not be that big an obstacle.  Back in the good old days, when I
actually had time to program (on a //e back then), I wrote a syntax directed
program ediitor which had multiple types of tasks: user interface, data
structure manipulation, and the syntax stuff (for lack of a better term).  At
any time, more then one instance of each task could be in the queue, from which
it would be fetched, processed, and various other processes would be placed in
the queue.  The queue also maintained dependency graph information between the
different processes (e.g. display updates are immediate, while the
corresponding data structure updates may be updated later - so, you need to
maintain dependencies between the data structure updates and later screen views
of the corresponding information).

Although this needed some thought to structuring the code modules, it wasn't
particularly hard to write, nor was performance unacceptably slow (the queue
was a killer to write though, since it needed large amounts of cycle saving and
the standard 6502 self modifying code tricks, if I recall correctly).

I'm not advocating such a kludgish approach (especially since I never finished
it and went on to better things before it was debugged (after finding out that
48/64K just didn't hack it for such a memory intensive implementation)), but
I'm just saying that it might not be so hard to implement.
---
Subash Shankar             Honeywell Systems & Research Center MN65-2100
voice: (612) 782 7558      US Snail: 3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
shankar@src.honeywell.com  srcsip!shankar

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan17.202210.26092@src.honeywell.com> shankar@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Subash Shankar) writes:
>In article <14880@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>On my "to do" list is a port of the "sam" editor to the IIGS.  There are
>>a few serious obstacles to be overcome, though:
>>	1.  It runs as two processes, one to manage the files and one to
>>	manage the user interface.  These would have to be merged into a
>>	single coordinated process, not an easy job.
>I'm just saying that it might not be so hard to implement.

Thanks for the suggestions.  Whatever solution I come up with would have
to be via portable C; I would incorporate this into the master BRL "sam"
sources that I maintain as a sort of distribution service to keep people
from pestering Rob too much about "sam".  (One needs an AT&T UNIX System
ToolChest "sam" license or else permission from Rob before I'll send the
sources.)  I'm pretty familiar with concurrent programming practicalities
and know what needs to be done here, but without a portable method of
implementing coroutines in portable C this IS a fairly difficult task.

prophet@oxy.edu (Dale Bruce LaFountain) (01/19/91)

* pn eopy1 eopy2 eopn3 ffy hfy eon lm 001 rm 075 pi 000 ps 001 pl 060 hd 000 ft 000 fp 001 ss 000 014 000 000 ts 007 012
Another application that I would like to see is a converter supporting JPEG
compression (Todd P.W., would this be easy to implement with LHG??). It is
a newer form of compression that is many times better than the GIF
algorithm in its compression of picture data.  I believe it dumps some of
the color table information that is indistinguishable by the human eye,
along with some other tricks that I'm not sure I can describe at this point.

If anyone is up to tackling this one, I can probably track down some source
code for it.

Just a suggestion...

-Dale LaFountain
prophet@oxy.edu

mvk@itsgw.rpi.edu (Michael V. Kent) (01/20/91)

In article <m0ixFQM-00003aC@jartel.info.com> kimbrennan@gnh-starport.cts.com (Kim Brennan) writes:
>GS Applications that I'd like to see.
>
>A true GS/OS Terminal program. While ProTERM may be good (opinions vary) it is
>still an 8 bit program, which means it can not access even half of my hard
>drive partitions......

Try out SCSI.Part by (I think) Richard Bennett.  This will let any 8-bit
program read up to four drives from one SCSI controller.  It does this by
mapping the drives to another slot.  (Hey, I've got two drives attached to my
Super Serial Card :)

Mike

-Rich-@cup.portal.com (Richard Sherman Payne) (01/21/91)

>Another application that I would like to see is a converter supporting JPEG
>compression (Todd P.W., would this be easy to implement with LHG??). It is
>a newer form of compression that is many times better than the GIF
>algorithm in its compression of picture data.  I believe it dumps some of
>the color table information that is indistinguishable by the human eye,
>along with some other tricks that I'm not sure I can describe at this point.
>
>If anyone is up to tackling this one, I can probably track down some source
>code for it.
>
>Just a suggestion...
>
>-Dale LaFountain
>prophet@oxy.edu

There is a shareware program out for JPEG conversion for the IBM, and one
for the SParc as well. I have tried it on a Sun4, and it is slowwww. I think
you would have time to read _War_and_Peace_ before you get your gif to
view if this was implimented on a //gs. Also, a file packed with jpeg is
not guarenteed to unpack to the same file. I have heard others who have
compared the images say that images that have been packed this way are
seriously degraded.

On the plus side, a 690K gif compressed to 149K. It does compress well. But
it does not seem like something the // users can use.

							Rich

						-Rich-@cup.portal.com

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (01/23/91)

From chm114u@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au:

> There is a freeware program available called "About" and written
> by some members of the Wellington Apple Users Group of New
> Zealand. It is a text reader, with some file launching ability,
> which installs an icon in the ICONS folder which then allows
> double clicking of text files.

    Mark Cinelli is the author of GSXEdit, a very promising shareware text
editor for the GS.  It was posted a little while ago to comp.binaries.  It's a
stand-along application, and it supports Teach files.  Check this one out.

lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) (01/26/91)

In article <392@generic.UUCP> taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) writes:
>From chm114u@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au:
>
>> There is a freeware program available called "About" and written
>> by some members of the Wellington Apple Users Group of New
>> Zealand. It is a text reader, with some file launching ability,
>> which installs an icon in the ICONS folder which then allows
>> double clicking of text files.

The program "ABOUT" will be uploaded by me to comp.binaries.apple2
due to a specific request by Joel Sumner for a program with its
capabilities. It is in .bsq format and is approx. 54K.

--
Kevin S. Green / lucifer@world.std.com / {xylogics;uunet}!world!lucifer
Party naked... /AOL: Gargoth / Pro-line: kgreen@pro-angmar

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (01/28/91)

The GS is well supported in terms of most games, I'd rather have quality than
quantity any day, however I would like to see some good simulations, Flight
Simulator GS, 688, Sands of Fire, etc.

For productivity, I am looking for a good Word Processor to replace
Mousewrite. I was thinking of Graphic Writer III, but I do not want a DTP
program, I need a user definable dictionary, possibly a thesaurus, standard GS
font support and occasional colour text. It must also be supported by the
publisher (which is the main reason I need to replace Mousewrite, there are no
bug fixes forthcoming and there are many annoying bugs).

I general, The product must sell for less than $100 mail order, be hard drive
installable (don't laugh some aren't, usually no quit to Finder option), and
be a desktop application.

A desktop telecomm application as good as Proterm, preferably better, would be
welcome.

Does this help?

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com